January 2013 Moms

Pumping advice from working moms

I am due in november and will be taking 12 weeks off. I think I have decided to Exclusivly pump for the simple fact that it will be an easier transition when i go back to work with the baby already aclimated to a bottle. Ive been looking in to pumps. So far im pretty sure we are going to go with the Medella freestyle but am open to suggestions. Also Any tips and tricks any of you moms have used to build up a stash would be appreciated since I have to pump to feed and try to get ahead of the making a stash game for bieng back at work. Just looking to get as much research done as I can so any advice from you pros is appreciated and welcome.

Re: Pumping advice from working moms

• I'm with PP. You'll obviously need a pump when you go back to work but its so much easier to feed on demand in the beginning. Trust me establishing a pumping schedule can be a pain!

I EBF with no bottles for the first 3 weeks and then once supply was starting to establish I began introducing bottles. When I went back at 10 weeks she took them no problem.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ditto everyone else on avoiding EPing if possible - I know a girl on my local board who does it because her DS won't latch and it is pretty miserable.  If you haven't ever tried a breast pump (as most people probably have not pre-kids), try hooking yourself up to yours for a few minutes once you purchase it and trying it out - it is not comfortable!  I definitely would not want to use it any more than I had to (I pump 3-4x/day, and my nipples are pretty sore from that, frankly).  Also, most babies don't have a problem making a transition to the bottle.  We gave DD her first bottle at four weeks (to avoid nipple confusion before that) and would then periodically give her a bottle every week or every other week to get her used to it, and it was never a problem.  However, it's your baby and your body, so do whatever works best for you!

In terms of building up a stash, try not to stress out about it too much.  I had this idea that I needed to have some huge quantity of BM in the freezer before I went back to work.  It was really tough to find time to pump every morning while I was home with DD (especially if I also wanted to have time to take a shower or eat breakfast...).  It can't hurt to have some saved up in case you end up needing to go out unexpectedly or you're not able to pump at work one day, but there is no need to have hundreds of ounces in your freezer.  

Basically, whatever I pump at work, DD gets the next day at daycare.  Whatever I pump on Friday goes into the freezer and she gets thawed milk at daycare on Monday.  I personally decided that if I didn't pump as much as DD was going to eat at daycare, it was fine if she got a few ounces of formula to make up the difference.  I pump 3x/day at work and can't realistically squeeze in another pumping session, so I decided not to stress about it.  She is still getting plenty of breast milk.

As for a few tips I have picked up, I would recommend getting an extra set of pumping parts and storage bags to keep at your office - you are bound to forget things occasionally (mommy brain is real!).  Also, just wipe the parts down and store them in a ziploc in the fridge during the day, then wash them once you get home in the evenings.  No need to spend the time washing them after each use.  Also, get a hands-free pumping bra (I like the Simple Wishes one), so you can actually get stuff done during all that time you're stuck on the pump. 

Good luck with whatever you decide! 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby248 - ETA 1/10/13
  • Loading the player...
  • sekurasekura member

I agree with the previous posters.  I'm a first time mom, and DS and I had a lot of issues with getting breastfeeding working--we had to use formula supplements and a nipple shield, and I pumped to stimulate in the first week.  But once we got things figured out (I was EBF at 6 weeks), things were awesome.  Its great bonding time for you both, and one of the easiest ways to relax while you are caring for your little one.

Pumping at the beginning is just a nightmare.  But I would recommend starting at about 4 weeks, once a day, just getting a few ounces, and having your DH feed a bottle once a day.  We did have a few days of challenge when we started daycare, but that's normal.  And I don't know about building a stash--I have maybe 20 oz in my freezer, and I don't worry about it.  DS eats what I have pumped the previous day.

TTC #1 Since 8/2010
    Me: 34, DH: 35 DX: DOR (FSH 14.9, AMH 0.67, AFC ~10) and Egg Quality

IVF #1 Feb 2012. MDFL protocol w/ Met. 7 ER, 0F.
    May Donor Egg IVF cycle:3 EF, 1 blast ET 5/12, 2 frosties
    BFP 5/21! beta #1 5/22 306 beta #2 5/24 818 beta #3 5/31 15,038.

image"">
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

• Maybe your all right about the reconsidering part ......I guess I was just afraid because I have read alot of articles about horror stories nipple confusion and babies not bieng willing to take bottles after getting attached to the boob. I guess I thought it would just be easier on me and the baby but clearly you all are much more expierienced than I. I guess I could try to bf and do a bottle a day after three weeks........Just always worried about making the right decision. Getting baby breast milk is whats most important to me. keep the tips coming though ladies. and thanks for setting me straight.
  • imagekkrolik3399:
    Maybe your all right about the reconsidering part ......I guess I was just afraid because I have read alot of articles about horror stories nipple confusion and babies not bieng willing to take bottles after getting attached to the boob. I guess I thought it would just be easier on me and the baby but clearly you all are much more expierienced than I. I guess I could try to bf and do a bottle a day after three weeks........Just always worried about making the right decision. Getting baby breast milk is whats most important to me. keep the tips coming though ladies. and thanks for setting me straight.

On our board there were several posts of difficulties getting the babies to take a bottle, but there were WAY more moms not posting because their babies were fine! DS has 1 rough day when I went back to work...and it was only for the first bottle! After that, he took to it like a champ! Now we switch back and forth with no issues!!

You always hear the horror stories because you're more likely to seek support for a horror story than you are for: "It's Tuesday and DS slept great last night, as usual. Oh and he had his first bottle today with no issues!" KWIM?

imageimageAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't really think nipple confusion exists.  Sure, some babies show preference for one over the other at times, but if the bottle is introduced at the right time it will probably not be an issue.  I gave DD her first bottle around 2 weeks and we've never had problems going back and forth.  She got a bottle a few times a week when I was off and had no problem taking them everyday once I started work.

EP is a pain.  I hate pumping 3x a day, I can't imagine all day every day!

I also love my Lansinoh affinity pump.  Much cheaper than the medela and works just as well.

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageWild_flower25:

I don't really think nipple confusion exists.  Sure, some babies show preference for one over the other at times, but if the bottle is introduced at the right time it will probably not be an issue.  I gave DD her first bottle around 2 weeks and we've never had problems going back and forth.  She got a bottle a few times a week when I was off and had no problem taking them everyday once I started work.

I also love my Lansinoh affinity pump.  Much cheaper than the medela and works just as well.

Nipple confusion DOES exist...but typically when a bottle is given very early (like the first couple of days)...but usually, it just means you'lll have a bit of a harder time nursing for a few days. As long as you wait until the baby has nursing down pat, it is usually ok.

ETA: I actually use a manual pump with a foot pump...LOVE it way more than my PISA! lol I have the expensive pump and prefer my $50 "backup"

• imagethemrsbird:
    imageWild_flower25:

I don't really think nipple confusion exists.  Sure, some babies show preference for one over the other at times, but if the bottle is introduced at the right time it will probably not be an issue.  I gave DD her first bottle around 2 weeks and we've never had problems going back and forth.  She got a bottle a few times a week when I was off and had no problem taking them everyday once I started work.

Nipple confusion DOES exist...but typically when a bottle is given very early (like the first couple of days)...but usually, it just means you'lll have a bit of a harder time nursing for a few days. As long as you wait until the baby has nursing down pat, it is usually ok.

ETA: I actually use a manual pump with a foot pump...LOVE it way more than my PISA! lol I have the expensive pump and prefer my $50 "backup"

My son got a bottle in the NICU and it was very hard to get him to take the boob after. But now he goes back and forth fine.

Definitely reconsider OP. those first few weeks allll they do is eat and sleep and you're so exhausted you won't have time to shower or eat let alone pump and wash bottles. You might have a little trouble finding a bottle they like, so don't buy a lot of one kind until you know they like it. I have the ameda purely yours but I don't pump at work. It does a good job when I do use it though.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • BLPL101BLPL101 member
    I EP because I have a preemie who wouldn't latch and I really hated it, but it's really not so bad now. I like that DH can feed her while I'm making dinner or taking a shower. I have been EPing since day 1 and plan on doing it for a year. I have zero issues with supply. My freezer is full. Do what you feel is best.

BabyFruit Ticker

• DD did not latch and so now I am exclusively pumping it's not as bad as people say it is... it's commitment but so is breast feeding... i would try breast feeding though.... now that LO is a little older she has taken to the breast : preference it's all about preference... i use the medela freestyle advanced backpack , and I love it... oh yeah and my nipples are just fine
  • imageFluxy3535:
    DD did not latch and so now I am exclusively pumping it's not as bad as people say it is... it's commitment but so is breast feeding... i would try breast feeding though.... now that LO is a little older she has taken to the breast : preference it's all about preference... i use the medela freestyle advanced backpack , and I love it... oh yeah and my nipples are just fine

My nipples were only sore for a day or so after pumping (about the same as with nursing), but for me pumping is ok, but nursing is much easier.

Also related to the original question: I've read that having too much of a freezer stash can harm your supply-because it can make you a bit more lax in pumping what you feed.So just make sure you pump as much as LO is eating...

• BLPL101BLPL101 member

imageFluxy3535:
    DD did not latch and so now I am exclusively pumping it's not as bad as people say it is... it's commitment but so is breast feeding... i would try breast feeding though.... now that LO is a little older she has taken to the breast : preference it's all about preference... i use the medela freestyle advanced backpack , and I love it... oh yeah and my nipples are just fine

Me too.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I EP and have from day 2. Breastfeeding just wasn't for me but I wanted my baby to have breast milk. I started off pumping every two to three hours around the clock when we came home from the hospital. I was only pumping two to three ounces per pump. Now at three months I pump every four hours and pump around 7 oz each time. I have a great freezer supply. And my nipples are just fine!

I would recommend getting a car charger so you can pump on your way to or from work. It made my life soooo much easier. Good luck!
  • I EP. Id bf if I could. It's so hard and a true commitment. My boobs hurt more than not. I'm up at night even when he sleeps. It sucks. You could do both though!
    I'd recommend a Medela Symphony. Rent from your hospital or angelpumps.com. They work so much better!
    I agree there is nipple confusion. My son wouldn't nurse due to being force fed formula at two days old.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagezonagirlie:
    I EP. Id bf if I could. It's so hard and a true commitment. My boobs hurt more than not. I'm up at night even when he sleeps. It sucks. You could do both though!
    I'd recommend a Medela Symphony. Rent from your hospital or angelpumps.com. They work so much better!
    I agree there is nipple confusion. My son wouldn't nurse due to being force fed formula at two days old.

Really, you pump at night as well? I sleep, and i wake up 7 hours later and pump then
  • I have to agree about reconsidering. I EP due to BF issues early on and I hate it. It is very hard and exhausting. I don't think I would do it again. Hopefully any future kiddos will BF. 
  • eb1113eb1113 member

I ended up having to EP with my first. She was labeled a "lazy eater" and we failed at nursing so I switched to EP. It was awful.  I hated having to pump all the time.   

This time, I was worried about how she'd latch, suck, and just overall how she'd eat. DD2 nurses like a pro.  That being said, I was so nervous when it came time to introduce a bottle.  After trying several bottles and two weeks of nightly crying fits by her and DH, we found a bottle that works.  We started with only a nighttime bottle and she continued to nurse just fine.  When it came time for me to go back to work, I woke up early every morning to nurse her.  It has been well worth it because despite the fact that most days she gets 4 bottles, she still nurses like a champ.  

While there are horror stories of nipple confusion, there are also success stories!!  I don't suggest starting out EP.  Even though I have a toddler, I love coming home from work, playing with my girls and then taking a break and nursing the baby.  It's very calming.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"