November 2012 Moms

Swim Diapers

Talk to me about swim diapers. We are going to the beach next month and I'm a little overwhelmed with all the choices.

Reusable cloth / disposable / brands / etc.?

What have you used or what do you plan on using?

TIA 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Swim Diapers

• I'm curious about this as well.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

• We use an iPlay swim trunk on both boys.  They are a pull-on, so I could understand the idea of messy, but it's been fine for us.  BabySteals does a steal every once in a while on them too, so you can get them cheap.

You could do a regular cloth diaper as well without an insert, but I wouldn't use it as a normal cloth diaper afterward (chlorine can affect the PUL). 

I: November 2011 
    M: November 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • milescmilesc member

I bought disposable ones last summer when Sophie was little.... What a waste. Never once did she poop in them. 

I bought a reusable one from Target for her recently, and once she's done with it Miles can use it. Disposable ones are a HUGE waste IMO. They aren't in them long enough to get any use out of them, and they are expensive. I'd say reusable, you will get your moneys worth out of them in no time.

Those who don't believe in love at first sight, have never given birth
    Big sister meeting little brother for the first time-
    <a href="http://s326.photobucket.com/albums/k409/YellowMiles/?action=view
  • We have the reusable Charlie Banana ones and also disposable (our local pool only allows disposables). The reusable ones are definitely tighter around her thighs. I trust those for keeping anything in over the disposables.
  • We really only go to public pools, and the ones here don't allow non disposable ones, so we are using the huggies ones. They pull on, but the sides rip so you don't have to pull it back off.

050 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kbl13kbl13 member
    Thanks for all the replies! I'm definitely thinking cloth is the way to go for us... between tThis beach trip and our backyard pool, I'm sure it will be the most economical choice. I like the bummis swimmi and one from applecheeks.... Tempted to order both and see which fits better.

• kbl13kbl13 member
    imagekiraliz2:

I LOVE my Apple Cheeks diapers! Love love love. Right now H is just about to outgrow his smalls, but he has chunky thighs. He's 15.5 lbs.

Aplix (velcro) will give a better fit but snaps hold up better.

Thanks, this is really helpful! I just ordered the apple cheeks one. He's 16lbs now, so I ordered the 18lb-40lb size hoping that he'll continue to gain 1lb/month plus fill out a little due to starting solids... If not, I'll get something else for our trip, but keep this one for later this summer (and the next year or 2).

• FTM so I don't really get this... so do they wear a swim diaper (like the resuable one) instead of a regular diaper?  We use disposables but the disposbale swim diapers don't start till they are 16 pounds and DD is only 11 pounds.  So I don't want to buy those yet, and it sounds like they are a waste. 

We have our own pool, but we are going to the beach next month and it was a community pool there.

Whats the difference between using a regular diaper and the swim kind?

Wickedly nice Step Mom to JJ since 5/2/09
    Born 7/26/01-- Adopted 3/6/02

Two and a Half Years, Too Many Treatments, One Precious Miracle
    Abby born 11/5/12 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imagekiraliz2:
    imagedatagirl79:

We have our own pool, but we are going to the beach next month and it was a community pool there.

Whats the difference between using a regular diaper and the swim kind?

Regular diapers will absorb the pool water and swell. Swim diapers are made to only catch poop, not pee.

So another FTM question.... when they aren't in the water, say just hanging on the beach, do you put on a regular diaper?

Also, I got DD a swim suit from gymboree, it says it comes with a sewn in swim diaper, does this mean she doesn't wear anything under the suit?

I know I'm probably making this more complicated than it needs to be!

Abby born 11/5/12 

• imagekiraliz2:
    imagedatagirl79:
    FTM question.... when they aren't in the water, say just hanging on the beach, do you put on a regular diaper?

Also, I got DD a swim suit from gymboree, it says it comes with a sewn in swim diaper, does this mean she doesn't wear anything under the suit?

I don't know about the disposable ones. With my cloth, I would change him right before and after we went swimming since there is no absorbancy at all. I have no clue about the swimsuit.

thanks for your help!

Abby born 11/5/12 

• imagedatagirl79:
    imagekiraliz2:
    imagedatagirl79:
    FTM question.... when they aren't in the water, say just hanging on the beach, do you put on a regular diaper?

I don't know about the disposable ones. With my cloth, I would change him right before and after we went swimming since there is no absorbancy at all. I have no clue about the swimsuit.

thanks for your help!

When we are at home I usually live dangerously and let DD1 stay in the swim diaper or go naked.  Worst case scenario she poops on the ground.  If I was out in public I would change her.  Both DDs have peed on my before going in the public pool.  NBD.

DD1 9.15.10  DD2 11.2.12
  • ETA:  We usually use cloth but I like to have some sposies around just in case.  If she poops in a diaper I cant exactly put it back on her and jump back in the pool.
    DD1 9.15.10  DD2 11.2.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"