April 2013 Moms

Eating my words...

So before I had this sweet baby girl, I SWORE up and down that I would NOT allow her to sleep in bed with me. I basically thought that co-sleeping was the worst idea ever...NOW DD sleeps in bed with me every night. And, I have to admit that I actually enjoy it! lol 

Since I am EBFing her, it's so nice to have her right there with me. I can nurse her on my side and we both drift back to sleep. She cries less and sleeps more now. The first few days home, I had her in her bassinet beside the bed. One very sleepy night after pulling her in bed for a feeding, we both fell asleep. I woke up to her, 5 hours later! It was like HEAVEN! Ever since then, I have had her in bed with me and we both sleep so much better now.

If you were like me and dissed co-sleeping before actually trying it, I highly recommend you bite the bullet and just try it! You will thank me later, when you wake up feeling rested. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Eating my words...

• I love it too! We have a moses basket beside the bed but when he does sleep beside us, it's awesome. We just swaddle him up and he just sleeps
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • AllyP10AllyP10 member
    I wish I felt comfortable enough to Co-sleep but with some of the stats out there and the paranoia of rolling over on top of him, I just can't bring myself to do it. Some nights when he has trouble sleeping I will sleep on the couch with him on my chest...but that's about all of the co-sleeping we do around here. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I tried the side lying latch for the first time last night around 2 am and woke up next to my baby at 4 am... It is nice but I am so terrified of him smothering or something that I'm scared to make a habit of it... Anything special you do for safety? I know loads of parents co-sleep safely, I think I'm just paranoid!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • That was me with DS1. I didn't necessarily say I'd never, but I very quickly realized that it helped us all sleep better. I went back to work at 7 weeks, so sleep was definitely something I couldn't afford to do without!
    Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• imagepinottoparenthood:
    I tried the side lying latch for the first time last night around 2 am and woke up next to my baby at 4 am... It is nice but I am so terrified of him smothering or something that I'm scared to make a habit of it... Anything special you do for safety? I know loads of parents co-sleep safely, I think I'm just paranoid!

I make sure that there aren't loose covers near her face/upper body and snuggle all night with her. I also worried about rolling over on her but after researching it, I found that the danger is when mothers are medicated or drunk. My Dr said that unless you are on drugs or have been drinking, it's extremely safe to sleep with your LO. It's more natural and there is actually research now that says co-sleeping will help to prevent SIDS. 

Here's a good article too: https://www.googobits.com/articles/647-the-benefits-of-cosleeping.html 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I used to raise my eyebrow at it, but now we do this and love it :) We swaddle up DS, and I put him in the crook of my arm so I'd have to physically move him to move myself. I find I am always aware of him, even in my deepest sleep. DH and I agreed if either one of us were taking any kind of meds, or drinking, baby would go in his bassinet for the night. 
    imageVincent Julian born on March 27th, 2013 DX with Down Syndrome image
    baby
      BabyFruit Ticker
  • Kate_CKate_C member
    imageMrs.Leah.Maria:
    That was me with DS1. I didn't necessarily say I'd never, but I very quickly realized that it helped us all sleep better. I went back to work at 7 weeks, so sleep was definitely something I couldn't afford to do without!

Ditto. It's amazing how your mom instincts kick in too. I usually woke up a minute before DS did. Same thing with this one, although she is actually sleeping in her bassinet. As other posters said, if you are unimpaired and follow basic safety guidelines it's very safe.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I quickly found with DD1 that it was the only way she'd sleep at night. I had high hopes that DD2 would sleep in a bassinet. Nope. She slept with me too. I tried the bassinet maybe twice with DD3. I would love to sleep alone for just a couple hours, but a 4 hour stretch with a baby is better than a 1 hour stretch alone.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • We borrowed this cool thing from my sil. It fits in the bed between H and I and has little walls and a mattress so it's impossible to roll over on Lo. We also have our comforter put on in a way so it can't be pulled over her. It is awesome having her in the bed. The first couple of nights we tried to have her in a pack and play and no one got any sleep.
  • During my hospital stay I had DD next to me every night, as she hated being in the bassinet there. Plus I was mostly confined to the bed due to complications so it was easier for me to feed her and take care of her that way.

I can't co-sleep in our own bed though as it is a pillowtop mattress and she just sinks into it. :( I literally slept on the floor with her the first night home and then bought a pack and play the next morning. We both sleep pretty well too! 

• imageChelsiver:
    We borrowed this cool thing from my sil. It fits in the bed between H and I and has little walls and a mattress so it's impossible to roll over on Lo. We also have our comforter put on in a way so it can't be pulled over her. It is awesome having her in the bed. The first couple of nights we tried to have her in a pack and play and no one got any sleep.

This sounds like the co sleeper I bought from target. It's called the summer infant co sleeper and its awesome! I don't worry about rolling over on him and I can still have easy access to bf in the middle of the night.
  • imageCasie13:

So before I had this sweet baby girl, I SWORE up and down that I would NOT allow her to sleep in bed with me. I basically thought that co-sleeping was the worst idea ever...NOW DD sleeps in bed with me every night. And, I have to admit that I actually enjoy it! lol 

Since I am EBFing her, it's so nice to have her right there with me. I can nurse her on my side and we both drift back to sleep. She cries less and sleeps more now. The first few days home, I had her in her bassinet beside the bed. One very sleepy night after pulling her in bed for a feeding, we both fell asleep. I woke up to her, 5 hours later! It was like HEAVEN! Ever since then, I have had her in bed with me and we both sleep so much better now.

If you were like me and dissed co-sleeping before actually trying it, I highly recommend you bite the bullet and just try it! You will thank me later, when you wake up feeling rested. :)

I could have written this word for work, except it happened to us the first night(very early morning). I was so frustrated and tired that I gave in, side-lying fed, and fell asleep. BEST. THING. EVER. we went to BRU today and bought a co-bed sleeper because I've woken up to her having a sheet over her head, wiggling down into my side.

• Thumbs up for resting/sleeping while nursing baby on your side.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • I was the same way. We started with a Rock N Play, but he just wasn't sleeping well at all! We then bought a Snuggle Nest to go between my husband and I and the nights are much better.
    CafeMom Tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageAllyP10:
    I wish I felt comfortable enough to Co-sleep but with some of the stats out there and the paranoia of rolling over on top of him, I just can't bring myself to do it. Some nights when he has trouble sleeping I will sleep on the couch with him on my chest...but that's about all of the co-sleeping we do around here. 

For the first 5 days home, the couch and I were best friends. Little one and I slept on the couch.
  • I've been putting LO down for naps in our bed and sleeping next to her. I've also been feeding her in bed for her early morning feeding (4-5am) and she stays in our bed sleeping. It's so much easier if she gets fussy due to losing her pacifier or just wants to be caressed, then I don't need to keep getting up out of bed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"