Baby Names

popular names question

i was looking at the popular names list, and i don't know anyone with the top 5-10 names.

in your area, do the popular name lists, or ssn lists actually hold true? so far, they don't in my area. :) 

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!

Re: popular names question

• I know a Sophia, an Abigail, an Olivia, a Mason, and a William all born within the last few years. And I don't know tons of kids. 

ETA: I also know 2 girls under 2 named Avery, which isn't top 10 but it's getting up there. And a Jack born last year. I guess I know more kids than I thought! And I think my nephew has a friend named Jayden (sp?), but I don't know any personally.  

FKA mimi4347: diaper rash magician and unofficial expert on excrement
    photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
    This kid may not have a lot of bowel, but he has plenty of guts! 
    DS born at 34 weeks with (surprise!) gastroschisis turned short bowel syndrome.
    131 days in the NICU, 7 trips to the OR, G-button, daily TPN....
    We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.
  • capuletcapulet member
    I know kids named Jacob, Noah, Ethan, Isabella, Olivia, Mia, and Chloe.  The people I know tend to have traditional naming styles, so the kids I know with popular names have the classic names instead of the -aiden names and Madison and whatever (though DD has been friends with a couple of Addisons).
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Loading the player...
  • ZimgerZimger member

I think where I live is a decent representation of the top 5-10 for both boys and girls. The only one I don't hear  much of is Jacob...which is fine with me because it's on my list.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I honestly don't know what all of the top 10 names are, but I'm sure I know a few (I know of an Emma that was born just a few days ago). But those are the most popular names of babies being born in that particular year. So it would only apply to newborns. Out of the newborns I know of, I'm definetly seeing a lot more of those types of names than I'm seeing with adults/older children.
    Suprise BFP: 8/17/11 (previous relationship)
    Natural m/c: 10/17/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Me (Katie)
    DX:PCOS
    DH (Adam
    Married 10/11/12
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 since 3/12
  • If you don't know a lot of babies, or young children in general, that could be a big reason why.

I personally don't know a lot of babies, but I do know 2 Emmas, 1 Isabella, 2 Sofias, 1 Ava and 2 Aidens and 2 Jacks all under age 5.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Kids I know under Age 5:

Boys: Mason, Jayden

Girls:  Sophia, Isabella, Emma, Abigail (x2) Madison 

Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • saracksarack member

here are the names of my friends' kids:

evan, rylee, harlee, ruby, isaiah, nathan, tyler, teagan, dylan, sydney, kirahlin, sebastian, ian, toby, maya, cole, hailey, everett, kai, lincoln, atticus, chase, jordan, michael, ryan. all of these kids are under 10.

i know a lillians(not top 10 but lily is), but they don't live in my area both in neighboring states or on the board of my state, an amelia who lives in fl, oliver that lives in a neighboring state. 

i feel like i know a good amount of kids. it seems like everyone i nkow is having babies or has them. i just don't know any emmas (except family people who are 35+. i know a 14yr old olivia. 18 yr old jackson.

i just wonder if i use a name like emma, will everyone have it? or am i worrying for nothing? 

• saracksarack member
    oh, nicholas, nevaeh, hannah, abby all over 10.
  • imagesarack:

i just wonder if i use a name like emma, will everyone have it? or am i worrying for nothing? 

Probably. It's extremely popular. I don't think EVERYONE will have it, but there's likely to be at least 2-3 of them in her classes. If this doesn't seem like a huge deal to you, then I say use it. If it's a dealbreaker, try to find names that are similar to Emma, but a bit less popular

Suprise BFP: 8/17/11 (previous relationship)
    Natural m/c: 10/17/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Me (Katie)
    DX:PCOS
    DH (Adam
    Married 10/11/12
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 since 3/12
  • vulpinivulpini member
    I don't know a lot of little kids in general, so my experience with the names won't help you much.  However, take a look a the actual percentages of the kids born with the top names all over the US and in your state.  Then compare them to the names from when you were a child that had similar percentages.  You will see that todays top 10 equate to names around spots 20-30 from the 80s, for example, not to the top 10 then.  So it's a lot less likely that there will be 2-3 Emmas in one class than it was for there to be 2-3 Jennys when we went to school.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If you're really concerned you could always go with Emily or Emmaline and call her Emma. I even like Emma as a nn for Gemma.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Bexx24Bexx24 member

You can look up the rankings for your particular state, that helps because it does vary state to state.

I worked at a center with about 300 kids. Out of that I knew 4 Isabellas, 4 Lillys, 3 Olivias, 3 Noahs, 3 Aidens.... but that was it really. Only one Emma. No Sophias. One Jack.

I think it holds true that there's just so much of a variaty of names out there, in my kindergarten we only ever had a double Aiden on time, and a double Lilly another time.

So what I always tell people is that if you truly LOVE a name... don't really get worked up over the "popular" numbers.

• I know a Jacob, a Mason, 3 Noahs, a Michael, an Ethan, an Aiden, a Daniel, an Emily, an Abigail, a Mia, and a Madison.  All under 3.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know a Emma, Ethan, Aiden, and Isabella. They are all under 2.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTGP March Siggy Challenge
  • Of the boys, I know one Jayden and that's it.

Of the girls, I know of one Sophia, two Emmas, two Avas, one Emily,and one Abigail.

• Of the current top ten, these are the names of actual children I know (and their ages):

girls - Isabella (1), Emma (6), Olivia (5), Abigail (10), Madison (7), Mia (1), Chloe (5)

boys - Jacob (1), Noah (nb) 

Dating: Jul.2003 | Married: Jul.2006
    BFP: Dec.2007 | DD: Aug.2008
    TTC #2: Dec.2011 | Done?: Aug.2013
  • sarbiebsarbieb member
    I know a few Sophia's, a Jake (not Jacob), 2 Jack's, a Jackson, Emma, Olivia, Isabella, a few Madison's and a bunch of Ava's all under 5! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"