June 2013 Moms

Tell me about EPO

Sorry if this has been asked before....

Why start it around 36w?

How much do you take and how administered?

Are you doing it on OB/MW advice or just what you want to do?

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

Re: Tell me about EPO

• sheacoxsheacox member
    i must be completely clueless... i have no clue what you are talking about, so i guess i'll just wait and check out the other answers

TTC since 03/2011
    BFP#1 spontaneous conception! 4/28/12 natural MC on 5/9/12
    IUI#1 with clomid and trigger on 9/12/12
    BFP#2 on 9/26/12 EDD 6/5/13
    Beta #1 143 14dpo Beta #2 343 16dpo Beta #3 920 18dpo
    Please, Please, Please stick baby!

Baby Mackenzie born 5/28/2013!

BabyFruit Ticker

• llsarmyllsarmy member

I have taken it with my other two kids.

You dont want to start to early because it can soften the cervix. It will only work with your body though it will not cause labor.

I start with 1000 mg a day than move to 2000mg a day. I take them by mouth I have never stuck them in the cooch.

My sisters midwife swears by it I asked my OB they say it cant hurt. 

This time around I have also added raspberry leaf tea tabs to my intake and that helps to strengthen the ute.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehuckleberry08:
    My guess is evening primrose oil.

Thanks!  I had no clue what EPO was!

I don't think I'm taking it, is there a good reason to?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image~~Chels&Ry~~:

imagehuckleberry08:

I don't think I'm taking it, is there a good reason to?

You would know if you were taking it. It's not in your prenatal vitamins.  You have to get liquigels at a health food store.  It's not recommended before 36 weeks.  I've heard one 1000mg orally per day the first week, then at 37, take two orally,then at 38, do one orally and one vaginally (just get it up as far as you can before bed, pantyliner suggested).  It softens your cervix.

photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • But why do we want to soften our cervixes?
  • imagenotquiteblushing:
    But why do we want to soften our cervixes?

Because a baby has to pass through there Smile

"The use of evening primrose oil to start labor has been around for a long time, and many midwives swear by this technique when helping pregnant patients prepare for delivery. Evening primrose oil does not directly trigger the start of labor, but works by softening and ripening the cervix. This allows the baby's head to engage in the pelvis, encouraging dilation. Not everyone agrees that evening primrose oil will help to soften the cervix"

The way it was explained to me is that the cervix starts out about as hard as your forehead if you touch it with your index finger, then it softens to the feel of the tip of your nose, then the final stage is it's as soft as the inside of your cheek.  EPO just helps the "ripening" process.  It can also help prevent tears when rubbed into the perineum.  

Of course, ask your provider.  

photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • skioskio member
    imagezigspective:
    image~~Chels&Ry~~:

imagehuckleberry08:

No kidding, I was like... erythropoietin?

Labour is hard, but I really don't think you should be taking performance enhancing drugs for it.

/dead.

Because H has been joking with me about getting him some EPO from my "black market provider" so that he can kick asss at his triathlons this summer.

I'll be starting it at 35w. Good advice above. It's just helps soften/ripen the cervix, which needs to happen before labor anyway. It's the same reason you may have heard that you should have sex to help bring on labor; semen also softens the cervix.

I have 500mg tabs and will take one a day at 35w, then two at 36w. I am not sure how much I will increase from then on...I want to see how I handle the first doses.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • imagezigspective:

No kidding, I was like... erythropoietin?

Labour is hard, but I really don't think you should be taking performance enhancing drugs for it.

I was thinking the same thing! haha

Do you know if it is useful if your OB already noted your cervix to be soft and starting to dilate/efface? Just curious. 

image image

• imagenotquiteblushing:

Lolz.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.13 Born 6.13.13
    photo 2546f8b6-17f6-4b55-b007-93a547c620b8.jpg

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Faith7Faith7 member
    If you've never taken it before, I'd consider starting out on a low dose and taking it slow.  It's not common, but people can occasionally have an allergic reaction.  I tried taking it while TTC and it caused me to break out in a rash. (The only thing I've found that I'm apparently allergic to, including poison ivy!) Wouldn't have wanted to begin by putting it directly into my vagina!
  • imagekriskell:

imagenotquiteblushing:

Because a baby has to pass through there Smile

"The use of evening primrose oil to start labor has been around for a long time, and many midwives swear by this technique when helping pregnant patients prepare for delivery. Evening primrose oil does not directly trigger the start of labor, but works by softening and ripening the cervix. This allows the baby's head to engage in the pelvis, encouraging dilation. Not everyone agrees that evening primrose oil will help to soften the cervix"

The way it was explained to me is that the cervix starts out about as hard as your forehead if you touch it with your index finger, then it softens to the feel of the tip of your nose, then the final stage is it's as soft as the inside of your cheek.  EPO just helps the "ripening" process.  It can also help prevent tears when rubbed into the perineum.  

Of course, ask your provider.  

Ah ok, I just have no desire to do that at 36 weeks.  Maybe like week 38 or 39 but I don't want to walk around for a month with a ripe cervix.

• yeah. i'm going to go ahead and let mother nature handle all this stuff. i don't see any point in trying to encourage my body to do something it's not ready to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"