Baby Names

Juliet or Juliette

I think I like Juliette better, but is it too fussy/frilly?

Re: Juliet or Juliette

• Either one works.
  • imageRowansmom08:

I think I like Juliette better, but is it too fussy/frilly?

It's a little frilly. But Juliet makes me think of Romeo and Juliet. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the name. Either spelling, really. But I'm leaning more towards Juliette for that reason.

Suprise BFP: 8/17/11 (previous relationship)
    Natural m/c: 10/17/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Me (Katie)
    DX:PCOS
    DH (Adam
    Married 10/11/12
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 since 3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • capuletcapulet member
    My name is Juliet.  I much prefer the simplicity of this spelling.  Juliette strikes me as more frilly, which is not my personality at all.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Juliet makes me think of Romeo &

Juliette makes me think of Juliette Gordon Low, who founded the Girl Scouts and was generally awesome.

So I vote Juliette! 

Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Personally, I think Juliette is a little much. I don't see the need and I like the look of Juliet better
    "I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass." Maya Angelou
    ~ Auntie to L: 2013 and Peanut: EDD 11/2014 ~

• BLPL101BLPL101 member

imageDaisyBlinks:
    I prefer Juliet. I do think Juliette looks a bit too prissy. Also, I think it's kindest to go with the most common spelling

This. Juliet was on our short list.

BabyFruit Ticker

• cmw&tdmcmw&tdm member
    This is one of our top choices if we have another girl. I think either works. I like the streamlined look of Juliet but DH likes the French Juliette. Both are proper spellings.
  • I pronounce them differently. I prefer Juliette.
    Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• I much prefer the French spelling...Juliette. It doesn't look prissy or frilly to me at all, but maybe that's because I have a French background and am used to it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Juliet.  It's one of our final 3 girl names if this babe is a girl.  I just think it looks nicer written out.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • I love both but am drawn to the simplicity of Juliet.
  • They're pronounced differently and are not alternate spellings. The choice would depend on whether you want the English name or the French name.
    Anniversary
  •  

I did not realize they are pronounced different?

• I pronounce them the same but I prefer the Juliet spelling. It seems stronger and less frilly. I am also a huge Shakespeare fan so I enjoy his spelling.
    Anniversary
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• I prefer the simpler Juliet. I feel like the extra letters on the end would make me overemphasize the "ette".
    Dating: Jul.2003 | Married: Jul.2006
    BFP: Dec.2007 | DD: Aug.2008
    TTC #2: Dec.2011 | Done?: Aug.2013
  • MrsCFBMrsCFB member
    i pronounce the names the same, but prefer juliet.
  • LC122LC122 member
    imageEmpireceo:
    Juliet makes me think of Romeo amp;Juliette makes me think of Juliette Gordon Low, who founded the Girl Scouts and was generally awesome.nbsp;So I vote Juliette!nbsp;

If you think she's so awesome, you should know that she always went by Daisy, and never Juliette.
  • imageRowansmom08:

I did not realize they are pronounced different?

Yes, Juliet is pronounced the way English speaking folks pronounce it, accent on the u (oo) vowel; Juliette is pronounced the way the French pronounce it, with that soft j sound and the accent on the first e. 

Anniversary
  • iteachkiteachk member
    I love Juliet.
  • imageLC122:
    imageEmpireceo:
    Juliet makes me think of Romeo amp;Juliette makes me think of Juliette Gordon Low, who founded the Girl Scouts and was generally awesome.nbsp;So I vote Juliette!nbsp;
    If you think she's so awesome, you should know that she always went by Daisy, and never Juliette.

Definitely aware of that, but it's still her given name and that's what I think of. 

Anniversary 
  • I have seen it spelled either way, so I don't think you can go wrong.
  • I prefer Juliet, but Juliette would not make me flinch or side eye at all. Very nice name either way! If I didn't have a niece named Julia, Juliet would be on my short list.

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"