November 2011 Moms

Let's talk potty training

So this morning was the first time I saw LO acknowledge that he knew what was going on. He started grabbing his diaper as he poo'd. My mom watches him while I work and when I told her about it she said she had seen him do that a few times as well. I'm taking it as a sign that he's starting to get ready to learn.

Where are your LO's in the process? and do you have any training tips?

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

Re: Let's talk potty training

• I honestly would wait a little longer.  DD has been indicating when she is peeing and pooping for almost 6 months and she is definitely not ready for potty training (although I think she is getting close because she woke up dry this morning!) My pediatrician warned me with my older child that though you can potty train at 1 months they often have a really hard time holding it so there are more accidents just because you can't get them to the bathroom in time.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • mcvgalmcvgal member

imageLittleMommaBlueHen:
    I honestly would wait a little longer.  DD has been indicating when she is peeing and pooping for almost 6 months and she is definitely not ready for potty training (although I think she is getting close because she woke up dry this morning!) My pediatrician warned me with my older child that though you can potty train at 1 months they often have a really hard time holding it so there are more accidents just because you can't get them to the bathroom in time.

that's good to know, we have an appointment at the end of the month, so i'll be sure to ask about it then. Iam in no rush to train, but read several places about looking for signs from LO

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Loading the player...
  • Good for you guys! We are nowhere near that yet. My DD wanted to try potty training at 2ish, but I wasn't ready for it mentally and we had to stop. At 2 1/2 she was more ready and I was better prepared. By 3 she was completely trained. I could count on one hand how many overnight accidents she had while being trained.

The two things I can offer are to limit fluid intake 2 hours before bedtime, and cotton underwear under a pull-up. Some people say that having the feeling of real underwear helps the child be aware of what's going on. Not sure if it really helped us, but my DD loved wearing her "big girl undies". Plus, we didn't have the whole pee down the legs and into the socks/shoes.

I'd like to see what other moms have to say about the process for boys. I'm sure there's a difference between how girls handle it vs. boys.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mcvgalmcvgal member
    imageRedCamaro:

Good for you guys! We are nowhere near that yet. My DD wanted to try potty training at 2ish, but I wasn't ready for it mentally and we had to stop. At 2 1/2 she was more ready and I was better prepared. By 3 she was completely trained. I could count on one hand how many overnight accidents she had while being trained.

The two things I can offer are to limit fluid intake 2 hours before bedtime, and cotton underwear under a pull-up. Some people say that having the feeling of real underwear helps the child be aware of what's going on. Not sure if it really helped us, but my DD loved wearing her "big girl undies". Plus, we didn't have the whole pee down the legs and into the socks/shoes.

I'd like to see what other moms have to say about the process for boys. I'm sure there's a difference between how girls handle it vs. boys.

Definitely, would like to know that as well. A friend of mine had a son 2 weeks after my LO was born and she is adamant that her husband has to potty train him. I laugh at the idea because with my DH's crazy chef hours that would mean our LO would never be potty trained.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Potty training is NO WHERE in sight for us. DS isn't a big talker & doesn't really acknowledge that he is going in his diaper. If I say "Mommy has to go pee pee, he runs to our bathroom & opens the toilet lid for me. Stick out tongue

I'm not in a huge hurry though...the same with toddler beds; potty training a little boy scares me! Everyone has always told me that boys are more difficult to PT.

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageRedCamaro:

I am in the midst of potty training DS right now (he's almost 3).  We don't use a potty chair so we have a rule that he has to sit down to pee unless someone is there to help him; our bathroom has been doused in toddler pee one too many times.  It's been fairly easy, but I have a super verbal boy so that probably helps.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • It isn't even in our radar right now. I've just been telling her that I go peepee in the potty, etc and she understands what that means. I'm good with that for now. I don't want to force anything and when we're ready to go, I'd like to do it in a few days rather than a longer training. If that means I'm buying diapers for another year, I'm good with that.
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • With DS we used the 3 day method at about 26-27 months.  The 3 day method author seems to think that 22 months is the perfect age and 3 is getting to the too late, resistant end.  We waited past 22 months because of how the rooms are set up at daycare -- they don't have potties or resources for PTing in the toddler room, so we needed to wait until we were in the 2-3 room.  DS was definitely ready earlier than we tried it and right around age 2 seems pretty good timing wise, and that's when I'd like to go for it with DD.

The 3 day method recommends that you don't introduce anything until the boot camp weekend.  They want your LO to come in fresh with no negative feelings about the potty.  That's not exactly what we did with DS and it worked fabulously, but that's what I'd like to do with DD 

And, seriously, the 3 day method was amazing.  DS was already getting some training at daycare and we exposed him some at home, so we decided to try for 2 days instead of 3.  We spent 2 days doing a potty training boot camp like described in the PDF and he was pretty much good to go.  Accidents here and there but nothing major! 

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh, and I know nothing about potty training girls, but potty training my boy was NBD!

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • caffrincaffrin member
    Yikes!

DS acknowledges that he is going about 50 percent of the time but potty training isn't even on our radar. I'd like to wait till he is at LEAST 2.5, maybe longer. This article sort of fueled my desire to wait.

https://www.babble.com/toddler/dangerspottytrainingearly

Of course mobile ate my punctuation. The link is supposed to be https://www.babble.com/toddler/dangers,potty,training,early/
    But with hyphens in place of all the commas
         Lilypie - (2Lt7)      Lilypie - (WFOL)

Jonah Stephen born at 39w on 11/3/2011                Naomi Isabel born at 37w 5d on 5/27/2013
  • jasnemjasnem member
    imagesmilelari:

With DS we used the 3 day method at about 26-27 months.  The 3 day method author seems to think that 22 months is the perfect age and 3 is getting to the too late, resistant end.  We waited past 22 months because of how the rooms are set up at daycare -- they don't have potties or resources for PTing in the toddler room, so we needed to wait until we were in the 2-3 room.  DS was definitely ready earlier than we tried it and right around age 2 seems pretty good timing wise, and that's when I'd like to go for it with DD.

The 3 day method recommends that you don't introduce anything until the boot camp weekend.  They want your LO to come in fresh with no negative feelings about the potty.  That's not exactly what we did with DS and it worked fabulously, but that's what I'd like to do with DD 

And, seriously, the 3 day method was amazing.  DS was already getting some training at daycare and we exposed him some at home, so we decided to try for 2 days instead of 3.  We spent 2 days doing a potty training boot camp like described in the PDF and he was pretty much good to go.  Accidents here and there but nothing major! 

Thanks for the information! I have heard about the 3 day method, but didn't know anyone who has tried it. I think we might go this route. She will be 23ish weeks at my Fall Break (I have 2 weeks off), so that would be perfect! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of our Rainbow Baby after 2 early m/c.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• DD2 is nowhere near ready to train.  She does tell me when she is pooping though.  DD1 was 2.5y when we started potty training and we opted for a slower approach with her than the 3 day method.

Our DCP was really helpful in the process.  DD1 wasn't showing any interest until an older girl at daycare started training.  Once DD saw her on the potty, she wanted to go too.  We just started putting her in underwear at home and going to the potty every 20-30 minutes (DCP took her frequently as well, but she was in diapers there still), after about a week we started going longer gaps and shortly after that she started telling me when she needed to go.  After a month she was in underwear 24/7 and rarely had accidents.   

Pooping was an issue.  She was afraid to go on the toilet and we had to put her in a diaper, but then she started boycotting pooping altogether and would hold it for 8-10 days at a time and nothing we tried worked to get her to go.  After 4 months we ended up having to put her on a stool softener to increase her urgency.  We only had to use it for 2 weeks.  After she pooped on the potty the first time, she thought it was awesome and wanted to do it all the time.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • StefB28StefB28 member
    Everything I've read suggests that the earliest that kids can have any sort of control is 18 months-- but even that is the earliest of cases. My 2.5 year old has been telling us when he has a wet/dirty diaper for well over a year and he's still not ready. (That's not to say that your LO isn't, there are just a lot more things that need to fall into place before they're really ready.)
  • Elizabeth pantley has a really good potty training readiness quiz and some tips for potty training on her website.

https://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/books/0071476903.php

DS2 is no where near ready to potty train, he knows when he is pooping and very interested in the potty [i am currently potty training DS1]. I want to try when he is 21 to 22 months.

I've had few problems training my first son. I waited until he was ready and did the three day potty training method on babycenter. He has had accidents, but overall the process has been really smooth.
  • JKTTC1JKTTC1 member
    My LO has been using the potty for several weeks now. I had the potty next to ours and finally one day he pulled at his diaper and kept saying "potty." So I put him on there and told him to go teetee. He's know what teetee means before he was 1 because we always told him the word while he peed every time we chaned his diaper. He's been using the potty for a few weeks and goes roughly around 4 times a day. He is just now letting us know occasionally when he needs to go but otherwise we just ask and take him. He's never got on the potty and NOT done something. He will go at hone on his potty, at the babysitters, and use the big potty at his grandparents no problem! Here's to getting rid of diapers!!! :

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• She will pull at her diaper, but we are nowhere near either. We do have potty seats for her and she has used them a few times but doesn't really "get it" yet. We talk about peepee and poop when she goes. And she knows where to go when I tell her I have to potty. We are probably going at it more towards age 2.
  • JKTTC1JKTTC1 member
    We were driving down the road today and LO kept screaming teetee, potty!! We had to pull over and let him per on the side of the road!

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• jb2rnjb2rn member

I don't think ds connects urination and the potty, but he does connect a bowel movement. He will grunt and point at the potty as he goes, andI tell him that poop goes in the potty.

I have him watch me pee, and ask him if he wants to sit on the potty before bath/bedtime. He does, and he grunts and pushes. Usually nothing comes out, but once he did poop and once he did pee, but I am sure it was just a coincidence.

We are in no rush, but i like to tell him what the potty is, and offer it to him, I feel like it can't hurt.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"