May 2013 Moms

BCBS medela breast pump

I have been making hundreds of phone calls for months trying to get my free breast pump.  I was specifically wanting a medela pump and I was finally able to get somewhere.  I just wanted to share this to help anyone else with Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.  Edgepark medical supplies currently has 3 different pumps including medela.  I hope I can help some mamas out.  They said it would take about 5 business days to process before it ships.

https://www.edgepark.com/faq/breastpumps.cfm 

Re: BCBS medela breast pump

• Until July my BCBS only covers 90/10 for breastpumps. Which considering i've met my deductible already I won't pay hardly anything. But I went through Edgepark and I am just waiting on them to call me to tell me what I owe or for it to show up on my doorstep. I also got the Medela. I just hope that Edgepark is considered "in network," If not it will be useless to go through them. 
  • I just got mine through edge park, through bcbs. They had to verify with my doctor that I am in fact pregnant. It took five days from there, not from when I called, and they didn't verify until about ten days before my due date. Then I got an email and a phone call that it would be overnighted. It was a little more involved than I originally believed, but still worth it. Make sure in send back the verification form they send you cause it's the only way they can bill your insurance.

Hope that helps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Edgepark is in network.  I received their info straight from BCBSNC.  Luckily I am covered 100%

https://www.bcbsnc.com/content/providers/news-and-information/news/Breast_Pump_Coding_Under_HCR.htm 

• I was just trying to find out about this yesterday!  Thanks for the information!
  • Wow makes my life a lot simpler than the route I was going. Thank you for posting this!!
  • Does Independence Blue Cross Blue Shield do the same as BCBS?

Anyone Know?

I called them a few weeks ago and they said they only "reimburse" you $50 after you purchase your own and send them the receipt

<leader of the pack small photo leaderofthepacksmall_zps19d110a4.jpg photo r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • JoJo716JoJo716 member
    Would this work for only bsbcnc? I have bcbsfl...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageJoJo716:

My BCBS is MS and they cover it at my 90/10 rate until July, after July it is covered 100%. I just called the member services number on my card and they gave me the name of 2 medical supply companies that they know for sure do breastpumps. You just need to call the number, it only took about 5 minutes to get the information that I needed.  

• It will work for all BCBS plans.  I actually have BCBSWV, but I live in NC
  • kasabbykasabby member
    I have BCBS MA and was told that I needed a prescription from my doctor for the pump--after I deliver. I may call back to verify that. It would be nice to get it earlier.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageJoJo716:

I'm in Ohio and I ordered mine from them.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • I just did this last week. I have Anthem BCBS. It was actually a pretty easy process for me (I feel really fortunate now after reading these posts) and my pump was covered 100%. The one stipulation was that I couldn't order it until I was less than a month out from my due date. Here's what I did:

- Less than a month out from my due date, I called Edgepark. I had my insurance info, doctor's office info, and pump picked out when I called (you can visit their website and check out the pumps they offer. I chose the Medela because it's heads and shoulders above the others in terms of quality and durability).

- They took my info, asked a few more questions, and said they'd reach out to my insurance company and doctor's office.

- A few days later, I got an email and a phone call recording from Edgepark saying that my pump had been shipped. It arrived about a week later.

- When I opened the box, there was a form inside for me to sign and send back to Edgepark within five days of receipt. I signed the form, mailed it out in the postage-paid envelope, and now I'm all set.

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lucky you.  BCBSWV was no help to me at all, I called them numerous times and was basically forced to call hundreds of durable medical equipment suppliers getting nowhere.  I did come across edgepark a while back but at the time they didnt have medela and that is what I wanted.  
  • imagejstring88:
    Until July my BCBS only covers 90/10 for breastpumps. Which considering i've met my deductible already I won't pay hardly anything. But I went through Edgepark and I am just waiting on them to call me to tell me what I owe or for it to show up on my doorstep. I also got the Medela. I just hope that Edgepark is considered "in network," If not it will be useless to go through them. 

They approved my purchase through Edgepark.

• I got my Ameda pump through Edgewater. Ordered it on a Monday, it was here Friday. Awesome.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Interesting you have had so many issues.  I have BCBS and all I had to do was get a script from my MD and turn it in to the approved DME.  They are covering 100% a Medela Freestyle.  I get it Monday when I can pick it up. 

• imageMotherMayEye:

imagejstring88:
    Until July my BCBS only covers 90/10 for breastpumps. Which considering i've met my deductible already I won't pay hardly anything. But I went through Edgepark and I am just waiting on them to call me to tell me what I owe or for it to show up on my doorstep. I also got the Medela. I just hope that Edgepark is considered "in network," If not it will be useless to go through them. 

They approved my purchase through Edgepark.

After reading all the responses I believe they will cover mine as well. I just couldn't find anything about them being "in network" with my plan.  

• imagecaden1206:

Interesting you have had so many issues.  I have BCBS and all I had to do was get a script from my MD and turn it in to the approved DME.  They are covering 100% a Medela Freestyle.  I get it Monday when I can pick it up. 

Caden, did you have to pay for it and get reimbursed or did they bill BCBS?  I was told by BCBS that they have to bill the insurance company directly, no reimbursement.  Pump has to come from DME.  I called every DME within 50 miles and not one had breast pumps. 

I'd put a Movember mustache fail, but then
    you'd all have to look at it until February.
  • THANK YOU for posting this information!

I just ordered a new Medela because of this thread - it took me ten minutes between confirming with my insurance that it was covered 100% and then calling EdgePark.  I have an old pump that was used by a friend and given to me - not sure it even works well and wanted to get a new one - now I've got it ordered!

FTW! - most helpful thread of the day!

• imagedrhibbard:
    imagecaden1206:

Interesting you have had so many issues.  I have BCBS and all I had to do was get a script from my MD and turn it in to the approved DME.  They are covering 100% a Medela Freestyle.  I get it Monday when I can pick it up. 

Caden, did you have to pay for it and get reimbursed or did they bill BCBS?  I was told by BCBS that they have to bill the insurance company directly, no reimbursement.  Pump has to come from DME.  I called every DME within 50 miles and not one had breast pumps. 

No money for me.  But, they did tell me that they would reimburse for manual pumps.  Electric had to go through DME.  Can you go outside of the 50 miles and just get it shipped?  My DME said they would ship it to my house, but I only live three miles from them so I am just picking it up. 

• imagecaden1206:
    imagedrhibbard:
    imagecaden1206:

No money for me.  But, they did tell me that they would reimburse for manual pumps.  Electric had to go through DME.  Can you go outside of the 50 miles and just get it shipped?  My DME said they would ship it to my house, but I only live three miles from them so I am just picking it up. 

I don't think it has to be a certain distance from my house, but that is the list I was provided by BCBS.  What is the name of your DME if you don't mind me asking?  Or could you message me?  I'd appreciate it.

• I messaged you.  I think you can do everything over the phone.
  • Thanks for making this so easy! I had my sister's very new pump, and had purchased new parts, but kept thinking I should take advantage of the new health care laws to get my own for free. I just called, it took about 2 minutes, and I should receive my pump in the next week or two. Awesome!

Thanks again!

My little bug, Madeline. Born June 2, 2013.

• I wish I knew about this 3 weeks ago! That's how long it took me to find a local medical supplies store that carried breast pumps and actually had them in stock. I must've called around 35 different places within a 60-mile radius that were all listed as "in-network" providers for my insurance. This morning I finally called a place in my home town 8 hours away, thinking my mom could just pick it up for me. I was so happy to hear that they had a few breast pumps in stock and it was processed and shipped out today! The girl I talked to said that I should be getting it in the mail withing a few days. I feel so so so so lucky that my insurance covered 100% of the cost!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecaden1206:
    I messaged you.  I think you can do everything over the phone.

Thanks again.  It was seamless and quick.  Rep said he didn't think my BCBSNJ would be a problem, but i swear most things are a problem with BCBSNJ.  I should know in the next 3 to 5 days.

• imagecaden1206:

Thanks again.  It was seamless and quick.  Rep said he didn't think my BCBSNJ would be a problem, but i swear most things are a problem with BCBSNJ.  I should know in the next 3 to 5 days.

• imagedrhibbard:

imagecaden1206:

Well, I hope that helps.

• imagekasabby:
    I have BCBS MA and was told that I needed a prescription from my doctor for the pumpafter I deliver. I may call back to verify that. It would be nice to get it earlier.

I have the same insurance and went through Cambridge Medical Supply. I got the Medela pump in style. It was totally covered except for the 5 shipping fee. You don't have to wait until you deliver. They will even send the prescription request for you. When i called they asked my ob name and the hospital she workes at. I ordered mine on a Friday and got it via ups on Tuesday. They were very helpful and said that they do this so you don't have to carry another thing home from the hospital. Hope this helps!
  • I have BCBS and was told that based on my school district's coverage plan, breast pumps are not covered at all, except for a hospital grade rental if baby or mom has to stay at the hospital (each call results in that same answer). If my insurance company won't cover it, will Edgepark do so?

• imageTundraGirl:
    I have BCBS and was told that based on my school district's coverage plan, breast pumps are not covered at all, except for a hospital grade rental if baby or mom has to stay at the hospital (each call results in that same answer). If my insurance company won't cover it, will Edgepark do so?

I kinda got the same info and I'm wanting to find this out also. I'm on DH's insurance plan, he's a teacher.

<leader of the pack small photo leaderofthepacksmall_zps19d110a4.jpg photo r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I've got BCBS insurance and used Edgepark to order my Medela pump in style. It took less than a week to get it in and I didn't pay a thing. They had really great customer service reps too. It is definitely worth a try for anyone with BCBS. 

• hi, can you also message me the contact of the provider? I am also BCBS, NJ, I tried a lot of providers in state and out of state and got no luck.

Thanks a lot !!

• Hi, can you tell me or message me where you got a Medela FreeStyle covered 100%?  I have called over 50 DME providers and no one carries it.  I finally found one that does but is charging more than what I can pay in a store for it.  BCBS is telling me it has to be through a DME.  Any help would be greatly appreciated for anyone who has gotten the Medela FreeStyle through a DME.  THANK YOU!
  • Can someone give me the name of a DME who carries the Medela FreeStyle? I have BCBC and have called dozens of DME providers who only carry the Pump in Style. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"