May 2013 Moms

Summer Babies

So I know babies can't wear sunscreen before 6 months of age.....(correct?) So how does one deal with that? Just constantly keep the baby in the shade or covered up with long sleeves and pants? I'm a FTM and I feel that this is going to be one of those things I will be overly paranoid about.  I feel like she will be too hot with too much clothing but I don't want to spend the whole summer indoors! 
 Image and video hosting by TinyPic          

image  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Summer Babies

• LN1024LN1024 member
    My midwife said that she suggested I still use sunscreen (and not sunblock), because it is easier to take care of an irritation the sunscreen might give the baby versus a sunburn. 
  • I wish I had the link that someone posted about this a while ago.  There is a difference between sunscreen and sunblock and/or they took the harmful chemical out so you can use one of them (or both, I don't remember) on baby before 6 months.

Anyone have the link?

• Loading the player...
  • imagebotanicalbliss:

I wish I had the link that someone posted about this a while ago.  There is a difference between sunscreen and sunblock and/or they took the harmful chemical out so you can use one of them (or both, I don't remember) on baby before 6 months.

Anyone have the link?

Here you go...https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/1/35113032/ShowThread.aspx

• rebaannrebaann member

Lucie's List sent an email about this today.  I'm going to bed now, but if folks want me to forward it in the morning, just PM or leave me an email.

My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMotherMayEye:
    imagebotanicalbliss:

I wish I had the link that someone posted about this a while ago.  There is a difference between sunscreen and sunblock and/or they took the harmful chemical out so you can use one of them (or both, I don't remember) on baby before 6 months.

Anyone have the link?

Here you go...https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/1/35113032/ShowThread.aspx

Interesting! Thank you! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic          

image  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMotherMayEye:
    imagebotanicalbliss:

Anyone have the link?

Thanks!   

• blush64blush64 member
    I actually did keep the kids out of the sun as much as possible. I would keep them in the shade and when there usn't shade I would make some. I would use a light cover to ensure they remained in the shade while in their seat or carriage. We would avoid taking a young baby out during the hottest part of the day.

• Thank you for reporting the link!
  • Lurking from June... My 7yr old was a summer baby and I used sun block on him sparingly. More often than not I just made sure he was in the shade. Even now I prefer him to wear a long sleeve rash guard when swimming and only put sunscreen on his face and legs. We are very fair skinned and while sunscreen/block is a necessity I like to limit the amount I used on him by having him cover up when possible.
  • My pediatrician told me to use Neutregena SPF 30 or above with helioplex for kids and babies on my 4 week old. He said its fine just don't cake it on! I found this sunscreen at Babies r Us and CVS.
  • Babies don't move, so it is much easier to keep them under an umbrella or sunshade.  I never had a problem with DD and she is a June baby.  I used the shade on her stroller, an umbrella at the park and stayed inside between peak sun hours when I could.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My husband is a Dermatologist- and we were just talking about this yesterday.  He said our little one will only wear sun protective clothing and hats- and he was not totally opposed to a little sunscreen, but wants us to avoid it for up to a year.  He suggested a brand that I had never heard of- I will get back to you- he did mention that it was a little pricey.

edit:   Vanicream is his top choice.

but also said that any baby recommended ones are probably fine from neutrogena or aveeno.

• I had asked about this last year for my niece.  I was told the baby's skin absorbs the chemicals differently because it is so fragile in the first 6 months. 

I highly suggest going on amazon and getting a mini-tent, we did that last summer and it worked out great!  Plus lots of hats and lightweight blankets. 

• 1. I believe neutrogena babyblock is a sunblock, not screen. I like that product in stick form.

2. Badger makes a baby badger sunblock lotion I really like.

DS has extremely sensitive skin. These were both approved by his dermatologist for after 6 months. Before that, he was allowed 10 minutes in the sun for vitamin d production, and then I usually used my nursing cover to shade him. It was light weight and breathable.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • stkmw02stkmw02 member
    Our OB recommends Burt's Bees Baby Sunscreen Stick.  It also comes in a lotion, but we haven't been able to find it locally and are waiting until LO arrives to order it online.  The stick (I tried it on my arm to see the consistency) should work well for summer babies, since you only need a tiny bit on their hands and faces... do your best to keep the rest of the body covered in a lightweight cloth and a big floppy hat.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"