September 2012 Moms

FFFC

I know it is early.

Let's go!
"Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)

Re: FFFC

• I literally eat 2 packages of oreos a week.
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • In the 'what are you known for' thread I really wanted to ask what people thought I was known for. I'm sure its different things for everyone. But I figured it was better to not stir the dust on that stuff. 

I know Colby is one of the younger s12 babies but he seems behind everyone elses LO. I'm irrationally scared of austim/ some other learning disorder.  

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO absolutely loves the song "Go DJ" by Lil Wayne. He can be throwing an absolute fit and that song will make him completely silent. Guess I better find another song he likes before he is able to repeat the lyrics.

• Every time I see a post titled 'am I a biitch' or 'am I overreacting?' I wanna reply with a 'yes' without reading. Most of the time they are legitimate concerns. I guess my confession is that I am a biitch and I know it and I am ok with it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageHolly_1007:

I know Colby is one of the younger s12 babies but he seems behind everyone elses LO. I'm irrationally scared of austim/ some other learning disorder.  

My LO is one of the younger S12 babies and I have those thoughts too, I think it is a normal mom thing. Try not to worry so much.

• StasiStasi member
    imagekdsmith43:
    imageHolly_1007:

My LO is one of the younger S12 babies and I have those thoughts too, I think it is a normal mom thing. Try not to worry so much.

Hell, Kate is right in the middle of the month and I feel that way. It'll be just fine, try not to worry.

Katherine Quinn | 9.16.2012 | 38w4d

Ryan Lanman | 9.12.2014 | 40w

2 Losses | 10/2010 @ 5w | 9/2013 @ 10w4d
    Little Sprout Blog

• imageauroraloo:
    imagekdsmith43:
    imageHolly_1007:

I think it's a normal mom thing. C is one of the older babies and I have those thoughts too. Holly, I hope you relax about it.

And I'm not sure because Autism is not one of the things I work with (I work with EBD/LD/FAS for the most part) but doesn't Autism manifest later?

They don't really start testing for it until 1 year. I think?  I know my BFFs brother was developing normally until about 15 months and then just stopped. They had him tested for everything for a while and it wasn't until he was close to 3 that they landed on a ASD. 

• I spend money on Candy Crush regularly. I'm competitive, even with myself, and impatient!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imageHolly_1007:
    In the 'what are you known for' thread I really wanted to ask what people thought I was known for. I'm sure its different things for everyone. But I figured it was better to not stir the dust on that stuff.nbsp;nbsp;I know Colby is one of the younger s12 babies but he seems behind everyone elses LO. I'm irrationally scared of austim/ some other learning disorder. nbsp;

Holly, I think it's normal to have concerns. I've googled autism more than I'd like to admit. I think there is just no way of knowing right now. I've heard these milestones and things happen overnight. Before you know it you'll be shocked at everythig LO is doing!

• My SD's half sister at her moms house was diagnosed at 1.5. she was delayed right at the beginning. this is where my fear comes from. 

• imageLoisLayn23:
    Autism is rarely diagnosed before 23. They may start testing and EI but you won't get a diagnosis until you are AT LEAST 2, but usually, they hold off on that until age 3 because like asthma, once that shitt's in your medical record, it's there forever.

This. And while they so take in to consideration gross motor milestones, they are also considering other factors such as speech development, eye contact, usually a stunt in overall development, etc. Basically they are considering things that our babies are not even developmentally ready to master or attempt.
    I guess my FFFC is that as a Special Educator I obsess about milestones and have to talk myself down often because there are kids who meet milestones within normal limits that go on to have severe learning disabilities and kids who are delayed in meeting milestones and go on to be do just fine in school. Every kid is different and I constantly have to remind myself that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • StasiStasi member
    imageLoisLayn23:

imageHolly_1007:
    My SD's half sister at her moms house was diagnosed at 1.5. she was delayed right at the beginning. this is where my fear comes from. 

Autism does not present 'at the beginning.' She may have needed EI prior to 2, but autism is a social and communicative disorder, not a physical disorder.

What's EI?

Little Sprout Blog

• imageStasi:
    imageLoisLayn23:

imageHolly_1007:
    My SD's half sister at her moms house was diagnosed at 1.5. she was delayed right at the beginning. this is where my fear comes from. 

Autism does not present 'at the beginning.' She may have needed EI prior to 2, but autism is a social and communicative disorder, not a physical disorder.

What's EI?

Early Intervention.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageStasi:
    imageLoisLayn23:

imageHolly_1007:

What's EI?

Early Intervention.

• My older daughter needs some speech therapy.  Logically I know it's fine and she'll get the help she needs and it'll be fine.  Emotionally I feel like I failed her. 

• StasiStasi member
    imagelinzeek44:
    imageStasi:
    imageLoisLayn23:

imageHolly_1007:

What's EI?

Early Intervention.

God. Should I have known that...like, 5 people responded.

Little Sprout Blog

• I like Vera Bradley stuff. I h net liked some of their recent patterns. But I do have some. I use an old tote as G's diaper bag and love it.
  • imageredneckmomma25:
    I like Vera Bradley stuff. I h net liked some of their recent patterns. But I do have some. I use an old tote as G's diaper bag and love it.

All of this.  Some of the patterns are NMS, but overall, I'm a fan of VB.  I also send DD to daycare with an old Vera Bradley tote I used as a book bag in college. 

• oops. meant to quote lois. mobile, sorry.

she was delayed right from the beginning, not meeting milestones. she was officially DX with autism around 18 months. There's a lot more story that I won't get into, either way, it scared me enough to worry about it a lot more with Colby than I did Keagan. This little girl is pretty severe though and (from what I know) most likely won't be able to ever live on her own. My knowledge is very limited though due to a shiity relationship with the mom. I hope I am wrong. 

• At our 6 month appt the pedi's office gave us paperwork to fill out to begin testing for autism at her 9 month appt.  I wonder why if it doesn't begin to really show till later.
                  image     image
  • I guess my FFFC is that it has never entered my mind to think that my child will have autism.  I know she's one of the older babies on the board (Sept. 1) but she's already so far ahead of the other babies her age that I know IRL that I never even considered that something could be wrong with her later on.  It's terrifying to think about. 

I know autism comes in many forms and that they range in severity, but to me, I was so much more worried about CF, DS and birth defects while pregnant that I feel like autism wouldn't be "that bad" in the big scheme of things.  I know 3 kids with different forms of autism, and while it must be very difficult, I would hope that with proper programs and medical professionals that I would be able to adapt to that and make her life as great as possible.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• imagegingerfamily:
    My older daughter needs some speech therapy.nbsp; Logically I know it's fine and she'll get the help she needs and it'll be fine.nbsp; Emotionally I feel like I failed her.nbsp;
    nbsp;

Please don't! I needed speech therapy as a young kid. My name is full of Ls and Rs, and I could barely pronounce it, among other issues. I now have two Master's degrees, I love speaking in public, and I teach for a living. You didn't fail in the least, and she will figure it out!!
  • danabsddanabsd member
    imageauroraloo:
    And I'm not sure because Autism is not one of the things I work with I work with EBD/LD/FAS for the most part but doesn't Autism manifest later?

Yes, I have a friend who's daughter is autistic, they didn't start to worry until about 2.5 and didn't make the diagnosis until a couple months short of 4.

• imagecheeseandrice:
    imagegingerfamily:

My older daughter needs some speech therapy.  Logically I know it's fine and she'll get the help she needs and it'll be fine.  Emotionally I feel like I failed her. 

Don't! It's actually fairly common.  My mom runs a daycare and they have a bunch of kids that are getting speech therapy. I think it's fantastic that there are resources out there to help kids at such a young age.

And I think you deserve a lot of credit for recognizing it and getting her the assistance! 

Seriously, everything Steph said. It is great you are getting her the help now! My SD has a lisp and her mom was in denial over it for years. Finally DH went behind her back and talked to her teachers and she is in ST getting the help she needs, but sher is almost 7 so it is going to take a lot of work to correct it.  

edit: woah, steph changed her name.  

• imageambekirt:
    At our 6 month appt the pedi's office gave us paperwork to fill out to begin testing for autism at her 9 month appt.  I wonder why if it doesn't begin to really show till later.

There has been a push recently to screen for autism earlier. It is controversial. A lot of people believe that it causes false worry in parents, especially since appropriate development is such a range and time-wise children develop at such different paces.

• I make LOs pures. I use breastmilk to cut it. If DD doesn't eat a whole portion I put it in the fridge and save for later. I know you aren't supposed to reuse it, but I can't stomach throwing away perfectly good produce and milk. If its been 24 hrs, I will pitch it and will only reheat once.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMiraskTastic:

imageNita2603:
    Every time I see a post titled 'am I a biitch' or 'am I overreacting?' I wanna reply with a 'yes' without reading. Most of the time they are legitimate concerns. I guess my confession is that I am a biitch and I know it and I am ok with it.

::air five::

me too! 

Not hardly.  

Adiah Catherine ~ September 6, 2012

• danabsddanabsd member
    I counted, Beb has 42 pairs of Babylegs.
    The first step is admitting you have a problem. Right?

• imagecheeseandrice:

I think that autism is the new add/adhd and it pisses me off. They are real, true disorders that can be terribly hard on families. Saying you're worried your 7 month old has autism because he's not crawling is terribly insensitive.

Holly reminded me of this, and I you have some more legit reasons to be concerned. But I hear this a lot from people.  Maybe your kid is just quiet. Maybe he's just doing his own thing. Yes, ADD is real, but sometimes that shithead kid that refuses to pay attention? He's just a PITA. It's not exactly the same as autism, because as far as I know, there isn't a magic drug they can pump into a kid to 'fix' it. But it's still a really popular buzzword, and I think it takes away from parents and children/adults who really truly do struggle with it.

I definitely agree with you. I guess that's why mine is a confession. I don't walk around asking everyone I see 'hey, my kid isn't crawling, maybe he is autistic'. But it is something that is in the back of my mind, especially hitting so close to home with my SD's half sis. I agree ADD/ADHD is definitely overmidicated, but there isn't really a medication for autism... 

• danabsddanabsd member
    imagecheeseandrice:

imagedanab_sd:

but. how many headbands does she have?

LOL, Excellent question. One day I'll count. I may need a calculator...

• danabsddanabsd member
    imagethe mathlete:

imagedanab_sd:

Harper has 0. I need to order some now that we are trying to crawl.  

eBay! I pay far far less than retail.

• BPerBPer member

I think my best friend's fianc? is gay. Part of me thinks that she thinks so too. 

• imagedanab_sd:
    imagethe mathlete:

imagedanab_sd:
    I counted, Beb has 42 pairs of Babylegs. The first step is admitting you have a problem. Right?

Harper has 0. I need to order some now that we are trying to crawl.  

eBay! I pay far far less than retail.

Amazon too!

We love legs! But we only have 12 pairs....sounds like we have some catching up to do!!

View Raw Image'>

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagecheeseandrice:
    I think that autism is the new add/adhd and it pisses me off.
    They are real, true disorders that can be terribly hard on families.
    Saying you're worried your 7 month old has autism because he's not
    crawling is terribly insensitive.Holly reminded me of this, and I you have some more legit reasons to be concerned. But I hear this a lot from people.nbsp; Maybe your kid is just quiet. Maybe he's just doing his own thing. Yes, ADD is real, but sometimes that shithead kid that refuses to pay attention? He's just a PITA. It's not exactly the same as autism, because as far as I know, there isn't a magic drug they can pump into a kid to 'fix' it. But it's still a really popular buzzword, and I think it takes away from parents and children/adults who really truly do struggle with it.

Amen. I worked in a school where parents would actually work the system to make it seem as if their kid had Autism or ADD/ADHD so that they could be placed into Special Ed or have a 504 to get accommodations on the SAT and ACT. Doctors and school psychs rely heavily on parent rating scales and with enough research you can "make" your kid have a number of things. It's sad.
  • imageLoisLayn23:

imagejussagirl02:
    imagecheeseandrice:
    I think that autism is the new add/adhd and it pisses me off. They are real, true disorders that can be terribly hard on families. Saying you're worried your 7 month old has autism because he's not crawling is terribly insensitive.Holly reminded me of this, and I you have some more legit reasons to be concerned. But I hear this a lot from people.nbsp; Maybe your kid is just quiet. Maybe he's just doing his own thing. Yes, ADD is real, but sometimes that shithead kid that refuses to pay attention? He's just a PITA. It's not exactly the same as autism, because as far as I know, there isn't a magic drug they can pump into a kid to 'fix' it. But it's still a really popular buzzword, and I think it takes away from parents and children/adults who really truly do struggle with it.
    Amen. I worked in a school where parents would actually work the system to make it seem as if their kid had Autism or ADD/ADHD so that they could be placed into Special Ed or have a 504 to get accommodations on the SAT and ACT. Doctors and school psychs rely heavily on parent rating scales and with enough research you can "make" your kid have a number of things. It's sad.

That, and SSD and SSI.

Yup. I was in a very affluent school so it wasn't for SSD or SSI but I've had my fair share of those parents, too.
  • imageBPer:

I think my best friend's fianc? is gay. Part of me thinks that she thinks so too. 

My former BFFs fiance was a total dbag.  At my wedding he got drunk and hit on my SIL.  She knew all about it and still married him and they were divorced 11 months later because he impregnanted his girlfriend.  It sucks when you see it coming and you know you should say something but don't want to risk the friendship.  In my case, I did tell her what I thought and we haven't spoken in almost 2 years.  Oh well.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• HyalineHyaline member
    My grandmother is declining into dementia very rapidly, has suffered multiple small strokes, but her physical health isn't otherwise terrible.  She's unhappy and lashing out at the staff at her nursing home. I truly, honestly hope she has a heart attack, stroke, or other quick end soon.  So, I wish my grandmother would die.  I'm a horrible person.
  • I have one, and I didn't know it was flameable until yesterdays Plan B thread.

Several years ago, before DH and I were married, His brothers girlfriend who was 16 at the time, came to me and asked me to buy her Plan B. I didn't even know they were having sex.  She said they had sex the night before and didn't know the condom broke until it was over. She was really freaked out. She said she spent all night on the internet trying to figure out what to do and she wanted to do Plan B, but you needed to be 17 to buy it. She gave me the money, and I bought it for her.

Her family was very religious. Her parents refused to think she would ever have sex, and she wasn't about to make them feel any different. After this incident, I helped her find a free clinic that gave her a years worth of birth control pills. She didn't even know that those clinics were out there or that she could go without her parents knowledge. 

I know some of you feel that she should have to live with the consequences of her actions, but I have no regrets for helping her in what she felt was a desperate time. 

BTW, I was 20 or 21 at the time. Her and BIL are no longer together.  

• imageKellersPrag:
    I literally eat 2 packages of oreos a week.

Glad I'm not alone!

”text”image

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"