April 2013 Moms
Options

No wet or dirty diapers since yesterday at 7

Madeline was born Tuesday afternoon at 1:30. Pics and post later. Dh and I got home this afternoon and everything had been fairly smooth, but I realized her diaper has been totally dry since 8:00 AM!!!

She's been feeding great, and had 56 dirty diapers with a couple of wet the first day, but then day 2..... Nothing for almost 24 hours.

Anyone else experience this??!? Luckily we have an appt with the pedi tomorrow, but this ftm is freaking out. :/
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: No wet or dirty diapers since yesterday at 7

• Options
    This seems a little odd, hopefully everything is okay! Good luck at your appointment.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That's how DD was in the hospital. The LC said you don't have to worry about their diaper count until 72 hours into their life and then it should be 6 to 8 dirty dipes a day. Like PP said, once your milk comes in, this will be a thing of the past!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    none5none5 member
    This happened to us and I was in a panic. However, the night before her appointment the flood gates opened and haven't stopped since!  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I just had this happen with DS2, he was born Sunday night and pooped and peed great until Tuesday morning then he stopped and didn't pee again until Wednesday morning and started pooping again Thursday morning.

My milk came in Tuesday in the morning  and so his poop started to transition but he wasn't expelling it right away, however when he started up it was much thinner and more of as spinach color with the start of seeding. 

When your baby does pee, don't be surprised if there's as little orange in the diaper the first time. Its called brick dust and comes out if baby gets a little dehydrated. It should pass if baby is getting enough fluids but if it keeps up in every diaper then make sure you let the pediatrician know.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Those of y'all who also went through this were your babies super fussy while they couldn't poop/pee?!??

Again, she was great the first day, but the past day especially this past overnight it's as though NOTHING helps calm her down.

And thanks a million for the reassurance. Makes me feel a lot better!!
  • Options
    I'm creeping from another board so I apologize but this happened to us exactly. It was very scary because he was not going to the bathroom at all. We were almost admitted to the hospital but in a last ditch effort we gave him a bath and he peed. To come to find out, he was not getting enough from me and actually lost a pound from birth to 4 days after. We ended up going to the dr 5 times to check weight. He wasn't gaining fast enough and the doctors were worried but finally he got back to birth weight 2 weeks after.
  • Options
    What's weird is that she only went down 5 oz in the hospital... So no one the nursery, nurses, pedi were concerned.. They actually said she was doing awesome to only lose 4 percent of her weight. Guess I'll wait and see what the pedi says this afternoon .

Although as I'm feeding her and typing this, I think I smell pee hooray!!!
  • Options
    imagePansyPants:
    I just had this happen with DS2, he was born Sunday night and pooped and peed great until Tuesday morning then he stopped and didn't pee again until Wednesday morning and started pooping again Thursday morning.My milk came in Tuesday in the morning nbsp;and so his poop started to transition but he wasn't expelling it right away, however when he started up it was much thinner and more of as spinach color with the start of seeding.nbsp;When your baby does pee, don't be surprised if there's as little orange in the diaper the first time. Its called brick dust and comes out if baby gets a little dehydrated. It should pass if baby is getting enough fluids but if it keeps up in every diaper then make sure you let the pediatrician know. nbsp;

Omg, I wish I had known about the orange brick dust pee! We took R to the pedi right away thinking he had peed blood.
  • Options

Perfectly normal. Babies can poop and pee a lot on day 1 and 2 because they are getting out what they have inside them from before delivery. Then they may have a dry spell while they are only getting colostrum. It should clear up as soon as your milk comes in. 

I read somewhere that for the first week of life, baby should have as many dirty diapers as he/she is days old (3 days = 3 wet/dirty diapers).  

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"