Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Transition from Infant to Convertible Car Seat

When are you planning to switch to the convertible car seat for your LO? Or did you already?  How do you know when to transition?

DD was almost 16 lb at her Ped appt a few weeks ago and is getting too heavy for me to carry in her infant seat.  She is not sitting up yet though.  Not sure when to transition... DH and I just bought the new Chicco Next Fit carseats. 

Re: Transition from Infant to Convertible Car Seat

• imageStarfish+77:

When are you planning to switch to the convertible car seat for your LO? Or did you already?  How do you know when to transition?

DD was almost 16 lb at her Ped appt a few weeks ago and is getting too heavy for me to carry in her infant seat.  She is not sitting up yet though.  Not sure when to transition... DH and I just bought the new Chicco Next Fit carseats. 

you can put a newborn in a convertible carseat! so you can really use it anytime. they rear face & recline as much as an infant carrier. we plan on getting one once we are done carrying ds around in his infant carrier  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have puts but haven't installed it yet. I would like to in the next week or so because DS keeps trying to sit up in his.

• Loading the player...
  • We will move to the convertible  once DS exceeds the weight or height of his carrier as our convertible is only forward facing.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • bgf1bgf1 member
    I love the baby bucket.  My DD is 18.5 lbs and 26 inches.  I will keep her in the infant seat until she outgrows it (22 lbs or 29 inches).  I hope to get another 2 months out of it.  With any luck she will be sitting by then.  We will move to a rear facing convertible (as per the recommendations to RF for at least 2 years) when we make the switch.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • g8trkimg8trkim member
    We moved DS around 9 months. By that time he had been sitting up for a couple months and he was getting heavy enough to where I wasn't interested in carrying him around in the infant seat anymore.

• I've been looking forward to transitioning my son from his infant car seat to a convertible one because I ended up hating the car seat I bought. He is 6-months old and fast outgrowing his infant car seat. He sits up pretty well now and I noticed he tends to try and get up from the seat when I strap him in it. Will be getting him the convertible car seat in my next days off!
  • We switched her to a convertible car seat in my car around 4.5 months. I couldn't stand carrying the infant seat anymore. Now DH has the infant seat since he can carry her easily in it. We'll invest in another convertible when she's closer to growing out of the infant seat.
  • imageOhBaby+2013:
    We will move to the convertible  once DS exceeds the weight or height of his carrier as our convertible is only forward facing.

If the seat you have is forward facing only, it's not a convertible.  Convertibles CONVERT from rear facing to forward facing and I would urge you to get a different seat.  Your child absolutely has to stay rear facing until they are 1 year old AND 20 pounds and that is that barest of minimums.  The new recommendations are to keep them rear facing for as long as possible, but to a minimum of two years old.  Their spines are not strong enough to sustain the forward motion typically associated with accidents.  You can Google internal decapitation for more information on the risks specifically associated with forward facing.  

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• We'll use the infant seat until she outgrows it. I'm really hoping it'll last until she can sit up on her own and has full head control.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• albjagalbjag member

You can do it now if you want

I am going to try to keep using ours, but now that it's warmer out and he's 17 lbs I'm going to just take him out of it when we get out of the car and not take the carrier with since it's so heavy.

I want to get as much use out of this as possible before switching to a convertible car seat.  He still can fit in it height and weight wise for now.

Surprise BFP after 5 yrs of TTC
  • Been using a convertible since day 1.  Have had no problems.  Been fun to see how much he's grown since on his first ride from the hospital!  
  • imageelmoali:

imageOhBaby+2013:
    We will move to the convertible  once DS exceeds the weight or height of his carrier as our convertible is only forward facing.

If the seat you have is forward facing only, it's not a convertible.  Convertibles CONVERT from rear facing to forward facing and I would urge you to get a different seat.  Your child absolutely has to stay rear facing until they are 1 year old AND 20 pounds and that is that barest of minimums.  The new recommendations are to keep them rear facing for as long as possible, but to a minimum of two years old.  Their spines are not strong enough to sustain the forward motion typically associated with accidents.  You can Google internal decapitation for more information on the risks specifically associated with forward facing.  

Please read/heed this advice!!!!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When he exceeds either the length or weight limit of his infant seat.  I'm sure it will be length though... 

I'm hoping it's not for awhile b/c DS1 isn't going to be ready for a combo/booster, and I really don't want to buy two more convertible seats (one for each car). 

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• I hope it lasts through the summer.  She still naps in it.  When she can sit up in a cart, I'll take her out and leave it in the car until she's too tall for it. 
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm betting he will be out of his infant seat by 6 months. At his 2 month apt he was 14.1 lbs. he put on 6.2 lbs since he left the hospital. Our seat only goes to 22 lbs.  so it coming. I've already started looking at convertible seats.
    April 10 IUI BFN Sept 10 IUI BRN Feb 11 IVF hoping for a BFP! Feb 27 ER 28 eggs Mar 4 8 health eggs, 2 ET Mar 17 - Beta 180!! BFP!!! Mar 21 - Beta 1295!! holy cow what a jump Coming soon 1st Sono March 30!!! Crossing fingers for healthy stick bean(s) Mar 29 miscarry :( 6w 3d 2nd IVF July 2011 BFP July 2011 M/C 11/11/11 hate to say good bye again! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 3rd IVF 4/3/12 ER 46 eggs (holly cow batman) 40 mature, 36 fertilized 4/8/12 ET 2 AB put back 4/10/12 15 make it to FREEZE 4/22/12 Beta BFN 1st FET 6/7/12 Day we are going to put back 2. 6/21/12 BFP 1285 6/25/12 4780 I hope this time they stick!! Deaglan William welcome. My rainbow is finally here February 7, 2013
  • I will be transitioning very soon. I stopped carrying DD in the bucket a while ago, but DH still did so I left it til now. Now that shes heavier (13.5 lbs) its easier to put her in a carrier than tote the bucket around. Our convertible is more compact than our bucket so Im very excited to get more leg room up front.   

• I'm still comfortable picking DS up in his infant carseat and he's about 16lbs so we were going to wait until he's 20lbs and buy a convertible car seat and put it front facing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started Dating 03/04/2007 ~ Got Engaged 04/23/2010 ~ Said "I Do" 03/19/2011

Started TTC #1 11/2011 ~ BFP #1 03/28/2012-EDD 12/02/2012 ~

Greyson was Born by Unplanned C-Section on 11/20/2012 @ 8lbs 9oz 21 inhces

Started TTC #2 07/2013 ~ BFP #2 10/11/2013-EDD based on growth is June 26th

Liam born by Repeat C-Section on June 20, 2014 @ 8lbs 2oz 20.75 inches

• MkjessMkjess member
    In my car and DH we still use our infant seat.  My dad takes DD to daycare two days a week so he went out to get his own car seat so we didn't have to keep switching.  He got the convertible and DD LOVES it (more than her infant seat)!!!  We are going on vacation in less than two weeks with my family and we will be using the convertible since we will be in the car for long periods.  DH and I are looking to get them for our cars as well.  We were lucky enough that my cousin had a baby less than a year before we had DD so she gave us her new infant seat so we didn't have to buy one.   If we had I think we would be waiting as long as possible before looking to get the convertible. 
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP 2/10/12 m/c and d&c 2/20/12
    BFP 4/18/12 EDD 12/25/12!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"