Breastfeeding

lopsided boobs... Help!

So I have this problem... When my baby was born 4 months ago, we struggled to breastfeed on the left side because of my nipple shape. However, after about a month, we overcame that, but she still preferred to eat on the right side. Now, I am very conscious of my lopsidedness. My left boob produces between 1 and 2 ounces less than my right side. I have read that doing more feedings on the side that is lagging behind will increase production, so I have been feeding my baby on the left side as much as possible over the past few weeks, but it doesn't seem to be helping at all. When I get home from work, she eats on the left... after I pump before bed, the first feeding after she feeds on the left... and if I don't work, I keep her on the left side as much as possible. Yet, this doesn't seem to be helping. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: lopsided boobs... Help!

• I'm hoping there are suggestions too.

I'm a mostly pumper since LO is just now beginning to be able to latch on, but I don't think he's able to get much out due to his low suck yet.  Even after almost 8 weeks of pumping, I only get 1/2-1 oz from my left and just under 2 from the right.  Right now, I'm barely pumping 12ish oz per day and I know I'd be closer to being able to provide all that he needs for the day if I could get the left one to start producing.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Always start on the small side. They tend to suck harder on the first side - it will begin to produce more. I as well have lopsided boobs because of his natural preference for my left side!
  • Loading the player...
  • Bexx24Bexx24 member

imagekstokes2002:
    Always start on the small side. They tend to suck harder on the first side - it will begin to produce more. I as well have lopsided boobs because of his natural preference for my left side!

-my son was the opposite. Always half hearted the first boob and dug in the second. But in essense I agree. give him the smaller boob when he's hungrier.

But not to be a super bummer...they may stay like that until you wean. Mine sure did. I was probably a full cup size smaller on one side than the other until I got pregnant and weaned my son, now they've mostly balanced out.

• Same issue here - I've heard to try positioning LO in the same direction as when you feed on the side he/she prefers, but mine still wants the right side.

Even more interesting is that my left side was bigger with my last child... it's not even consistent with each baby?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"