May 2013 Moms

Padsicle Question

If you are making them, or have used them before, how many should I make?

I've read some blogs that say 30. THIRTY! That seems like a lot of pads that won't be very absorbent. Is thirty realistic? 

Re: Padsicle Question

• I was wondering how many to make, too.  I have no first hand experience, but I imagine using a couple of them per day at least at first to help with swelling and healing, but not one after the other since they'll be freakin' cold and not as absorbent.  So, at least 2 per day for the first week is right around 30 - seems like a good start!  You can always just do 10 or 15 and make more if you need them. 
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member

imagebotanicalbliss:
    I was wondering how many to make, too.  I have no first hand experience, but I imagine using a couple of them per day at least at first to help with swelling and healing, but not one after the other since they'll be freakin' cold and not as absorbent.  So, at least 2 per day for the first week is right around 30 - seems like a good start!  You can always just do 10 or 15 and make more if you need them. 

Your math makes good sense. I hadn't thought about it like that... though I should have. lol 

• Loading the player...
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    Which recipe are you using? I'm doing the witch hazel, aloe, and a little bit of lavender oil. I saw some that called for using an herbal sitz bath tea, but the pictures looked like there were little bits of tea, and that just doesn't seem like a good idea to me if there is tearing. :/
  • imagekmcd23:

imagebotanicalbliss:
    I was wondering how many to make, too.  I have no first hand experience, but I imagine using a couple of them per day at least at first to help with swelling and healing, but not one after the other since they'll be freakin' cold and not as absorbent.  So, at least 2 per day for the first week is right around 30 - seems like a good start!  You can always just do 10 or 15 and make more if you need them. 

Your math makes good sense. I hadn't thought about it like that... though I should have. lol 

Actually, my math makes zero sense - lol!  Turns out 2x7 is 14.  I think I would still do around 30 though - that way you're prepared for the first 2 weeks.

I'm just doing witch hazel.  Aloe sounds like a good idea, though.  I am foregoing lavender because it really irritates my skin. 

• Just got home from hospital last night and I've already went through 68 pads, u change it every time u go to the bathroom and u will a lot because they want u too push water, especially if you are BFing. You would be suprized how much u bleed and for long
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    imagebotanicalbliss:
    imagekmcd23:

imagebotanicalbliss:

Actually, my math makes zero sense - lol!  Turns out 2x7 is 14.  I think I would still do around 30 though - that way you're prepared for the first 2 weeks.

I'm just doing witch hazel.  Aloe sounds like a good idea, though.  I am foregoing lavender because it really irritates my skin. 

Ok, your Method makes good sense. I am laughing at myself for not even noticing the discrepancy!
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    imagelpowell333:
    Just got home from hospital last night and I've already went through 68 pads, u change it every time u go to the bathroom and u will a lot because they want u too push water, especially if you are BFing. You would be suprized how much u bleed and for long

Please tell me mobile ate the hyphen!!!
  • Just so you know, the nurse at the hospital told me you should only use cold compresses for the first 24 hours after birth to help with the swelling. After that you should use warm. I personally prefer cold but the warm is supposed to help improve blood flow to your perinium. 

Just an FYI :)  

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Lisae55Lisae55 member
    I made 10. Not sure if I will even like the feeling of melty coldness. I'm sure I'll appreciate the cold but maybe not the soppy wetness as they melt.
  • imagemommy0411:

Just so you know, the nurse at the hospital told me you should only use cold compresses for the first 24 hours after birth to help with the swelling. After that you should use warm. I personally prefer cold but the warm is supposed to help improve blood flow to your perinium. 

this is what I was told too. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    imageRachelandEduardo:
    imagemommy0411:

Just so you know, the nurse at the hospital told me you should only use cold compresses for the first 24 hours after birth to help with the swelling. After that you should use warm. I personally prefer cold but the warm is supposed to help improve blood flow to your perinium. 

this is what I was told too. 

I'll have to ask. I was told alternating warm and cold, as long as there was swelling. Cold being the compresses, warm being the sitz bath. But then again, I have no idea how long swelling might last for?
  • image2013sarabelleATX:
    I'm planning to make these too, though I haven't thought about how many to make. What type/brand of pads are you guys using? I was thoroughly overwhelmed in the maxi pad aisle today.nbsp;

This was me today too! Haven't bought maxi pads since junior high! Completely overwhelmed! I finally got frustrated and bought the ones that looked the biggest... Always overnights with leak lock. Plan on using around 10 for padsicles. Nurse practitioner said witch hazel and aloe vera works best..
  • Lol yes, not 68, should be six to eight, sorry didn't mean to freak u out
  • imagekmcd23:
    imagelpowell333:
    Just got home from hospital last night and I've already went through 68 pads, u change it every time u go to the bathroom and u will a lot because they want u too push water, especially if you are BFing. You would be suprized how much u bleed and for long
    Please tell me mobile ate the hyphen!!!

LMAO... my eyes got huge for a moment...

so... can someone explain these padsicles? Just freezing pads with stuff to help you heal in them? 

• I hated frozen pads and ended up throwing mine out.  They did not work for me at all.  I say make a couple and try them out and use precious fridge space for freezer meals.
  • My nurse said the ice doesn't do anything past 24 hours for the swelling.

so I weaned off them at the hospital, I didn't like the wet feeling anyways. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I never used ice of any kind after I left the hospital, with either birth.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • krwactkrwact member
    I wouldn't make too many. I was really surprised by my lack of pain even with a few stitches.  I didn't need anything for swelling (didn't even take Motrin).  The only time I used the Tucks pads they gave me was for the skin irritation I had after 4-5 days of wearing the hospital pads.  
    Kim 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    I love hearing that they aren't terribly necessary! I love ice, but I hate wet, so I think I'll make 10 and see what happens.
  • imagewatermelon mom:
    I never used ice of any kind after I left the hospital, with either birth.

I just had a baby in 2011 and I've never heard of these.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"