Working Moms

Sunscreen and daycare

So, I know that each individual child needs to bring his/her own sunscreen to daycare. That makes sense. But, is there a reason why you're supposed to wait until they are 6 months old? Is it because of skin sensitivity? I was just curious about the reasons and I'm hoping to hear about others' experiences. Sorry if this has been asked before!
photo 9de7615e-e1c7-4dc7-be37-5cc4c9e4e703_zpse37bbba7.jpg AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Sunscreen and daycare

• ajs0924ajs0924 member
    your skin absorbs anything that is put on it. There are chemicals in sun screen, even baby sunscreen.  Most Dr.'s will recommend waiting until 6 months. When they are bigger and can handle the absorption better but it can be toxic for a small baby.     
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our pedi said it's fine in small doses after 3 months but they don't say it on the bottles b/c they don't want people to slather up babies and sit them in the sun everyday.  Once in a while is fine though - better than getting burnt.  And you'll want to go for a sunblock not screen (block will have zinc in it usually - some recommended brands are Blue Lizard and California Baby)

image   image

• Loading the player...
  • imageEMO-mamma:
    Our pedi said it's fine in small doses after 3 months but they don't say it on the bottles b/c they don't want people to slather up babies and sit them in the sun everyday.  Once in a while is fine though - better than getting burnt.  And you'll want to go for a sunblock not screen (block will have zinc in it usually - some recommended brands are Blue Lizard and California Baby)

This is my personal philosophy on it.  Shade is best but sunblock will ALWAYS be better than a burn if there's a situation where you know there will sun exposure you can't avoid. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Most sunscreens are not recommended for babies under 6 months, even right on the labels.
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • please, please, please do not use a chemical barrier on anyone! its so bad for you! If you use a physical barrier you can use them right away. 

https://www.antioxidants-for-health-and-longevity.com/sunscreen-ingredients.html 

• I'm sure your pedi can give their reasoning, but ours said absolutely no direct sun exposure until 6 months of age. If they are going to need sunscreen then that is a red flag. At LO's day care they have a huge tent over the infant swings and the kids in the 6weeks-6months room go out there for the swings & they will bring them out in their bouncers. 
  • Thanks ladies! I figured it had to do w/skin and sensitivity. I'm not too worried, because we live in an area where it doesn't get that hot until later on, and he won't be in direct sunlight anyway.  
    photo 9de7615e-e1c7-4dc7-be37-5cc4c9e4e703_zpse37bbba7.jpg AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"