November 2012 Moms

MOTN...what do you do?

Just wondering what you all do for night wakings. Right now his aren't always consistent. I am trying to devise a plan so that I respond consistently each night instead of panicking and getting frustrated.

Do you wait a certain amount of time before you go in?

Do you try to soothe, rock, etc? If so, how?

Do you feed immediately? 

Do you change LO's diaper? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: MOTN...what do you do?

• I wait it out for about 5-10 minutes because a lot of times he falls right back to sleep. If he is really upset, I will give him his bottle first. Followed by a diaper change.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

• tngrl3tngrl3 member
    If N wakes in the MOTN it's because he is hungry. I am a deep sleeper so if he wakes me up, the odds are he has been fussing for a little while. He is still in our room in the PNP. I nurse him and he usually falls right back to sleep. We are usually only up 10-15 minutes. I haven't changed a diaper in the MOTN since he was a couple of months old. 
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • kbl13kbl13 member

I wait until the talking turns to fussing before going into the nursery.

He only seems to wake if he's hungry, so I always feed him.

I put a good layer of A&D on him before bed, so I don't bother changing the diaper unless it smells or feels full. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Em is still in our room at night so I hear her right away and get up to get her. I know that nursing her will put her right back to sleep so that's been our strategy. Lately she has been waking up twice a night. She usually nurses for 5 minutes, if that, and falls asleep. I just recently got night time diapers so I won't have to change her at night, when I did it just would wake her up more.
  • We still don't have a full plan/routine yet, but our general approach is:

first wait to see if she soothes herself  (if she is sort of talking/complaining we let it go, once she is screaming we go in there)

If it is 12, 3:30, or 6, I go in and feed her.  If it is any other time, DH goes in and pats/rocks her in the crib and "shhh"s her.  Which works most of the time.  if that doesn't work, he'll pick her up and rock her in the glider.

If she is calm and awake and i notice her diaper is full, I'll change her at the 12 or 3:30 feeding.  But unless she is inconsolable, we usually don't change it because it is rarely the problem and just upsets her more 

Eventually we are going to have to do some sort of CIO apprach because she gets up a lot, but we haven't done enough reading to have a consistent plan we are both educated about and committed to.

• I give him 15 minutes. I literally have a timer on my phone by the bed. I go in and feed him automatically if it's been 5 hours or more. Otherwise I rock and soothe until he's back down.
    He dropped his 2nd feeding on his own. He STTN a few times a week now. When he does wake up he is usually hungry. I have a night routine which makes night wakings so much easier.
    Oh, and unless I smell poop I do not change his diaper. Never needed to.
  • K sleeps about 7 hours before he wakes up. So I know he is hungry. I get him from his crib. SO changes his diaper while I make a bottle. He falls back asleep around the 5 ounce mark.

• imagekiraliz2:

H wakes up every night at 4:30am like clockwork. Most of the time he rolls around and babbles for 10-15 minutes and goes back to sleep. I don't even get up unless he starts crying (very rare), and then I will rub his back and pat him back to sleep.

He doesn't get a MOTN feeding anymore.

K is always up at 4:30 too. How did you get rid of the MOTN meal? I want to and I know K eats enough during the day, but he sucks down the 5 oz. like its nobody's business

• We're still cosleeping, so usually when he fusses, I just reach over and let him hold my hand, or put his paci back within reach.  (He sleeps with a paci in his hand, not in his mouth.  He's an odd duck.)  If he's crying, it's because he's hungry, so I take him out of the sidecar and bring him into bed to eat immediately.

We're starting to transition him this weekend, so who knows now.

• I wait until he is really fussing or crying. If it has been less than 7 hours DH goes in and pats and shushes and gives the paci. If it has been over 7 hours I get up, make a bottle, change diaper, and feed him. He calms down during diaper changes. I'm usually never up for more than half an hour with him.

• From day one, I gave it a few minutes.  Now, I can kind of tell if it's urgent, or if he's just fussing based on his cry.  I still give him a few minutes to try and work it out.  I know, I'm one of those moms.

If he's worked up and not hungry (he makes a "fish face" when he's expecting the boob), I'll go kiss his head, rub his belly, and talk really softly to him.  That usually calms him enough and he passes out.  If he's really wound up, I'll pick him up and rock him.  That doesn't happen very often.

I change his diaper if it's needs changed.  Otherwise, the less I do, the quicker he goes back to sleep. 

• kb&mbkb&mb member
    Of course last night Noah slept through until 5:50 but I'm not complaining. Nice to read other approaches so I have a game plan in place.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"