2nd Trimester
Options

Ultrasound Disappointment

We went for my regular ultrasound Wednesday. I make 20 weeks tomorrow. Baby was being a bit uncooperative while the doctor was trying to get measurements and all that.

I didn't get to see any of it. My doctor had the monitor turned towards her and I was lying off to the side with my feet closest to the monitor. She would have had to turn the monitor for me to see. Mom, Dad, youngest brother, hubby, cousin and her gf got to see everything! The awe and delight on their faces was awesome but I didn't get to see any of the scenes they were seeing because they were standing behind the doctor and I was off to the side and couldn't see the monitor unless it was turned to me.

They could see her covering her face and making a fist and getting agitated when the doctor tried to make her move. I got to see a shot of her when the doctor sent my family out and had me undress for a vaginal ultrasound to check her gender because she just wasn't cooperating with the over the belly one.

She showed me how to tell she is a girl and I got to see her behind dancing around when she started moving again, but I'll be honest, I'm a bit jealous of my family for getting to see all the rest.

I don't know why I didn't ask to see more. I am usually pretty vocal about things but for some reason, I didn't say anything.  Maybe it was because I knew she'd already been doing the ultrasound for a while and there were other patients waiting, but I am kicking myself in the butt for not speaking up.

So now I'm waiting for the 3/4D ultrasound we have scheduled. If I can't see more there, I'll definitely be speaking up. 

Re: Ultrasound Disappointment

• Options
    That really sucks. I am surprised the tech didn't make sure you could see. The tech who did mine made sure I could see, and everyone else had position themselves accordingly. 

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options
    Did they not give you print outs and a DVD? That's what my office does. I'm sorry that you didn't get to see the screen.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The way the table and monitor was set up, it would have been hard for her to check everything with it turned. I just wish I had piped up and asked to see more.
  • Options

imagePrimRoseMama:
    Did they not give you print outs and a DVD? That's what my office does. I'm sorry that you didn't get to see the screen.

I only got printouts. I don't think every office does a DVD.  

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options

I got two print outs of her legs and one of her head and torso that was a little dark. I had a clearer picture from my 14 week one that was done to make sure I wasn't miscarrying. That was a vaginal one though so it stands to reason that it was clearer.

My office doesn't do DVDs. That's why I'm looking forward to the 3/4D ultrasound.  

• Options
    One reason I love my OB office. They have a screen on the wall and then the tech has a screen as well so I can watch either of them in case the tech has the monitor turned but she usually has that one pointed in my direction and family can watch the wall screen. Sorry that you weren't able to see.
    imageimageimageimage

• Options
    that sucks! 
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Options
    That stinks!  if it makes you feel better I didn't get to see mine and my husband had to wait in the waiting room until the last 2 minutes then we both got a quick glimpse. And then they said we had to call my doctor to find out the sex, had A/S tuesday called wednesday and they didn't have the results yet said I'd call thursday they said sure, called today and the office was closed!!!!  Hope your 3D ultrasound makes up for this one!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That is A LOT of people in the room for an ultrasound.  When we went in for the Level 2 (they don't do them at the doctor's office, they send you to a different place), they only allow three people including mom to be.  They also had a tv screen in front of the table so I was watching the wall tv while my husband switched b/w the tv and tech screen.  Tech printed out about three pics for us and when doc came in to look, she then printed off a bunch of 3d ones (which apparently not everyone gets).  Sorry you had to go through not being able to get a good look at your baby.  Hopefully if you go in for your 3d/4d you will have a better experience.
  • Options
    I'm sure your family members are lovely people, but I'm a little shocked that they didn't take it upon themselves to make sure you could see and get out of your way...
  • Options

I love my family, but they would get to see the screen for a little bit, then it would be MY turn to see. She's growing inside you and you have every right to be upset that you didn't get to see her. It's such an amazing experience to see your LO moving around on the screen and knowing she's in your belly. I'm sorry you didn't get the experience you wanted and its kind of weird that the tech didn't have the screen facing you in the first place.

When you get your 3D scan, make sure you see that screen! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    That sucks sorry. But holy cow were you having a family reunion? I get Mom, Dad maybe a sibling possibly a close cousin but really cousins girlfriend? Honestly, I had to laugh and think to myself - What? Didn't the neighbor from when she was a kid come along too?
    TTC 1/2010 DH Dx - Azoospermia 2/2011
    Hysteroscopy 3/2011 2 Polyps removed 4/2011
    DH on Clomid / Arimidex to address hormonal issues - Sperm found July 2011!
    IVF #1 September 2011 - ER 9/8/2011- 8R, 5M - icsi - 1 made it to transfer - BFFN :-(
    IVF #2 Lucky November 2011 - ER 11/25/2011 - 15 eggs!, 13 mature, 10 fertilized with isci - 7 made it to transfer! Transferred 1 - 8 cell and 2 - 7 cell. BFP!!!!
    1st U/S - Twins! 2nd U/S - 3 heartbeats!!! - HOLY COW!!!
    Prayers for our take home babies!
    2 babies born on 3/27/12 and lost. Last baby born on 3/29/12 and lost at 20 weeks.
    My angels grew wings shortly after birth.
    Ahava Raisel, Matisyahu Nissim & Zev Chaim - Mommy and Daddy will always love you.
    IVF #3 July 2012 - ER 7/17/2012 - 10 R. 5 F. 4 made it to ET
    Transferred 2 on 7/20/2012 no snow babies :-(
    Beta on 7/31/2012 = BFMFN
    A miracle gift expected to come to us through adoption around 9/2012
    Baby girl adopted - Birth Mother changed her mind and took the baby back
    IVF #4 October 2012 - New RE. Doing PGD Testing. 8 R, 7F, 2 made it to 5 day blast for PDG testing. Both Normal (Thank you G-d!!!) 1 boy and 1 girl
    transferred one beautiful 5day blast (girl)
    Please G-d the almighty one - let this be our take home baby!
    Beta #1 158, Beta #2 318, 1 Absolutely magnificent HB at 175! Thank you G-d!!!
    Baby Girl born August 5th. Thank you G-d for our precious miracle.
    AMA. PAIF & SAIF always welcome - I need all the prayers I can get!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

They didn't block the screen. The way the monitor and table was set up prevented me from seeing. The monitor would have had to be turned for me to see. I'd have been telling people to move had that been the case.

I honestly think the doctor was so preoccupied with trying to check what she needed to check that she forgot that I couldn't see. That was my fault for not speaking up. Little girl was being uncooperative. The office was also behind with the appointments and there was another ultrasound waiting after me. My doctor took her time to make sure she could check the baby thoroughly and answer my questions, but it probably slipped her mind to show me the monitor. I should have said something.

We have a very close family. The cousin and gf who came are very important to me. The cousin is like a sister to me (I don't have any) and she will be the baby's Godmother. Her girlfriend is also pretty close to me. They're the ones I call if I need help or a shoulder to cry on. My cousin and I have been extremely close all of our lives.

We actually didn't have our entire family. My middle brother couldn't come and neither could the grandparents and my neighbor from when I was a kid would have loved to be there if the room was bigger. ;) We have a VERY close-knit family and those were the people I asked to come with us for this one. The rest of our large family will be there for the 3/4D and we're still having to leave our aunts and uncles out, whom we're very close to as well.  

• Options
    My tech was kind of a d*ck and whipped through all his measurements really quickly. I was able to see the screen, but I was barely able to make out what he was looking at because by the time I asked, he'd already moved on. The ultrasound was blocked out for an hour, but the tech completed it in 20 minutes. If it weren't for the fact that the doctor wants another U/S at 30 weeks I would opt for an elective just so that I could really see everything. DH and I were both heart broken that we didn't get to see much (DO NOT confuse that heart break with disappointment over having a healthy child).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imageTurtleMomma:
    My tech was kind of a d*ck and whipped through all his measurements really quickly. I was able to see the screen, but I was barely able to make out what he was looking at because by the time I asked, he'd already moved on. The ultrasound was blocked out for an hour, but the tech completed it in 20 minutes. If it weren't for the fact that the doctor wants another U/S at 30 weeks I would opt for an elective just so that I could really see everything. DH and I were both heart broken that we didn't get to see much (DO NOT confuse that heart break with disappointment over having a healthy child).

I completely understand the difference! I'm thrilled that she's right on track for her growth and looks very healthy. I don't begrudge my family the chance, but I am a bit jealous. My husband had to miss the last u/s because he was at work and it was one done to check see if I was miscarrying. I didn't know I'd have one when I called for a follow up with my doctor after an er trip. I know he was disappointed so I'm glad he got to see so much for this one.

Mom and Dad have been through a lot with his health (after cancer and a heart attack) and have also helped us out tremendously and taken awesome care of me when I was on bed rest and very ill with hyperemesis gravadarum (Thank GOD it resolved!) My baby bro is something else. He called the pregnancy and the gender before we found out either! The other two women I had with me have also been an awesome support system and this was the first time they've ever seen an ultrasound. Their reactions were hilarious.

I just wish I had spoken up more for this one! I got to see a ton for the 14 week and the 8 week one, so I think this was just a fluke. My doctor seemed preoccupied even though she was thorough. I'm glad she didn't rush through the u/s like your tech did.

• Options
    I had 3 people with me, plus myself. The way they have the monitor set up, I am pretty much up close and personal with it. The rooms are small, but everyone gets an awesome view. My tech made sure to even point out what we were seeing, then on the gender, had to prove to my DH that it was in fact a girl...LOL...I go back again May 31. Sorry you had such a bad time

• Options
    Wow, when I read the title of this post I was really worried for you!  I thought there was seriously something wrong with the baby.  That gave me some perspective.  One bright side is that you have a healthy baby.  That's awesome!  There's a lot worse that could have happened.  Sounds like you have something to celebrate to me.  
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

• Options

imagekaswanson:
    Wow, when I read the title of this post I was really worried for you!  I thought there was seriously something wrong with the baby.  That gave me some perspective.  One bright side is that you have a healthy baby.  That's awesome!  There's a lot worse that could have happened.  Sounds like you have something to celebrate to me.  

I'm super happy she's healthy, just wishing I could have seen more. June 29th can't come fast enough! I've been sick so getting to hear her heartbeat and see her on the u/s has been what I look forward to. I'm still waiting for my test results for the screening but she looks healthy on the u/s and is right on track! 

• Options
    Um... Don't take so many people with you?
  • Options
    I already said it wasn't because there were so many people. The doctor had the monitor turned towards her. It was on the side of me near my feet. I could not see unless she turned the monitor. My family was standing behind the doctor. I couldn't see because of positioning, not because of people in the way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"