May 2013 Moms

Re: FDA Suspends License of J&J

• It's the plant in India.  I'm pretty sure J&J will be still selling all of their products as usual...though it may start  a good conversation about cosmetic/soap/things you use on your body  safety.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I've been debating on whether or not to keep using J&J head to toe on my toddler. At this point, I almost feel like my Olay bar soap would be better for his skin.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member

I was trying to find more info on this today. That is the only article about it. I posted a question on the FDA's facebook page, but it seems like they ignore most of those.

Not that I use J&J anyways, nor would I. But why wasn't there a press release about this? 

• I read about their use of formaldehyde and ever since I have refused to buy their stuff. I thought the natural stuff would be ok but decided to just go with Arbonne instead.
  • imageShantxtell:
    image1and1is3:
    I read about their use of formaldehyde and ever since I have refused to buy their stuff. I thought the natural stuff would be ok but decided to just go with Arbonne instead.
    Arbonne is so expensive!

That it is...  I have used Burt's Bees for my daughter.  I just LOVE the smell of it.

• I was able to find a couple more articles about it, but nothing on any major news stations.  I'm guessing they're keeping it pretty quiet since it's just in India, but this is one more reason I won't be using J&J - I don't want to support a company that is willing to use those kinds of chemicals in their products.

ETA: And even though it was a plant in India, couldn't they still be shipping it worldwide, not just keeping it there? 

• I decided to look up some info on organic baby soap after reading this and found this link to make your own baby bar soap. Seems pretty simple and affordable to make so I thought I would share. Maybe I will try it out while I'm on leave this week and see how it turns out....

https://www.make-baby-stuff.com/natural-baby-soap.html

• imagebotanicalbliss:
    I was able to find a couple more articles about it, but nothing on any major news stations.  I'm guessing they're keeping it pretty quiet since it's just in India, but this is one more reason I won't be using J&J - I don't want to support a company that is willing to use those kinds of chemicals in their products.

I already don't support them because they are well known for animal testing. This is just another reason to add to the list.

Anyone recommend any non-J&J products that are affordable and work well?

• imagepaigenicole23:

imagebotanicalbliss:
    I was able to find a couple more articles about it, but nothing on any major news stations.  I'm guessing they're keeping it pretty quiet since it's just in India, but this is one more reason I won't be using J&J - I don't want to support a company that is willing to use those kinds of chemicals in their products.

I already don't support them because they are well known for animal testing. This is just another reason to add to the list.

I'm trying Babyganics and California Baby.  BRU has them on sale from time to time buy 2 get 1 free.  Also, babies don't actually need a lot of soap used on them early on, so I imagine it'll last a long time. 

• kmcd23kmcd23 member
    I'll be using Dr. Bronner's baby soap, a little coconut oil on the bum if he needs it, Honest Co's shampoo, and Burt's Bees belly oil for infant massage.
  • imagepaigenicole23:

imagebotanicalbliss:

Agreed. I like Little Twig products. They last a long time and I think they are now being sold at some Targets. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Burts bees makes safe, quality products that are affordable and easy to find. I love their baby and adult products. California baby is good, too. I quit using mainstream products years ago, and dh and i use Nature's Gate for the most part, along with the BB.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I also recommend Burt's Bees.  They are on PETA's approved list for not testing on animals.  (But did you know they were owned by Clorox?)  :)
  • I use everything from head to toe for us and my house from Melaleuca Inc., It's a private mail order company not hard to become a member, think Costco. I LOVE everything they have...I don't spend anymore than I would if I went to Target.

I made changes because of the articles like OP posted and like this one I came across today...

https://www.komonews.com/news/consumer/Isantibacterialsoapsafe205845031.html
  • imageBeesMomma00:
    I also recommend Burt's Bees.  They are on PETA's approved list for not testing on animals.  (But did you know they were owned by Clorox?)  :)

Really?!  Interesting... 

• I really like California Baby and Shea Moisture.  A little does go along way!
  • Thanks all! I'll definitely be trying some of these (:

• stkmw02stkmw02 member
    DH's grandmother worked for J&J for many many years... and had nothing good to say about the products or the treatment of their employees. lol

She insisted we purchase Burt's Bees for our LO, so that's what we've done.  I certainly hope word continues to spread about J&J's practices.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    imagebotanicalbliss:

imageBeesMomma00:
    I also recommend Burt's Bees.  They are on PETA's approved list for not testing on animals.  (But did you know they were owned by Clorox?)  :)

Really?!  Interesting... 

I remember there was an uproar when they sold. I'm guessing there is someone named Burt, somewhere, who is really enjoying retirement. ;) 

• We have been using Burt's Bees shampoo and body wash on DS for the last 5 years. We tried to switch to jj stuff at one point and he broke out in a bad rash. We immediately went back to Burt's Bees an have not tried to switch again.
  • Another vote for Burt's Bee's here. Love the wash and lotion! Hate the smell of their diaper cream though.

I also liked a brand called Hugo's, but it was too hard to find. Burt's Bee's is in most major retailers.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MmW36MmW36 member
    I'm glad to see so many good posts about Burt's Bees, as that is what we will be using. :) 
  • LN1024LN1024 member
    imagebotanicalbliss:
    imagepaigenicole23:

imagebotanicalbliss:

I'm trying Babyganics and California Baby.  BRU has them on sale from time to time buy 2 get 1 free.  Also, babies don't actually need a lot of soap used on them early on, so I imagine it'll last a long time. 

This is exactly what we are going with. Some of the California Baby stuff can be expensive, but if our little guy isn't using a whole lot of product, then there shouldn't be an issue.  

• I think I'll be using either neal's yard or burts bees.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagechavlin517:
    Shea Moisture

I love this stuff! Burt's Bees is nice also. And the PPs are correct, you don't need much for an infant. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am going to try Nature's Paradise products.  I will let you guys know what I think.  It scored well on the Skin Deep website and really has very little ingredients in each product.  

We had registered for Aveeno, but I decided against using it once I looked at all the ingredients.   

• imageCanuckFan03:
    Another vote for Burt's Bee's here. Love the wash and lotion! Hate the smell of their diaper cream though. I also liked a brand called Hugo's, but it was too hard to find. Burt's Bee's is in most major retailers.
    Agreed on the diaper cream.  It actually was too strong for my LO.  I think it was the lavender.  Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's perfect. 

For diaper cream, we use Triple Paste.  Pricey but UNSCENTED! And well, it works.

• Yep. JnJ comes no where near my kids. I like California Baby, and it's approved by DS's dermatologist.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • dawneodawneo member
    I like the Live Clean Baby Wash better than the Burt's Bees. I received a gift pack from The Body Shop when DD was born and loved those products as well. I also received a huge basket full of J&J products when DD was born (2009) but there was a big uproar over a cancer causing ingredient at the time so I have only used a few products from it, and only on occasion (ie. I kept a body wash in the swim bag so it was used once a week). I have to admit that I do like the Aveeno diaper cream and have bought a few of those over the years.
  • wjvwjv member
    I found that J & J products were to harsh on my son anyway.  They smell so good! But just didn't agree with his skin.  Dove or cetaphil is what was best for him.
    Anniversary Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How timely. I've been fighting with my mom and my aunts (over just about every decision I've made in regard to things I want/don't want when it comes to this baby) and one of the biggest arguments over the last week has been "why isn't Johnson and Johnson good enough?" ... so THANK YOU for posting this! I never would have found it otherwise. 

ETA: I bought Burt's Bees too. My cousin recommended it. I found a three pack on amazon for cheaper than the big one at Target. I'm using it to make my own cloth wipe solution as well, and plan to use coconut oil, but nothing else.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    The US FDA's response on their FB page is that this is being done by the Indian FDA, and they have no knowledge of it. Shocker. Another country regulating our products more than we do. So sad.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"