May 2013 Moms
Options

Multiple membrane sweeps?

I guess I was unaware that you can have your membranes stripped/swept more than once. I was correct about tuesday's appointment-my OB did strip my membranes without telling me (not that I'd have declined, but it would have been nice to know). My appointment today he repeated the sweep, and told me he will continue to do so at each appointment until I go into labor or hit my induction date. Has anyone had them stripped more than once?

Re: Multiple membrane sweeps?

• Options

Wait, he stripped them before you hit 37 weeks and didn't even tell you?!  I don't like that.

But yes, you can have them stripped more than once. 

• Options

Yea they can do it more than once, I also find it concerning that he did it before 37wks!

MW was going to strip mine a few days ago but she couldn't because I'm not dilated at all!

Guess they can't "reach" up there if you're not dilated

<leader of the pack small photo leaderofthepacksmall_zps19d110a4.jpg photo r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Today he said something like it's not great for me to have had a PTL scare followed by a pre-e scare and then to have contractions every day, and due to pre-exisisting anxiety and baby size he wants to help get things going since I hit our goal of 37w. I guess to him one day before 37w wasn't a big deal. He doesn't want me going past 39w due to all the "complications".

• Options
    I had a sweep last week at 38 weeks but I'm just waiting until next week when I hit 40 weeks and I'll just go straight from my appt over to the hospital to be induced.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

With DS1 I had my membranes swept 3 times.  It didn't do anything to speed him along.  It all depends on how close you are before. If you are close enough, it can help speed things up.  If not, then it really doesn't do much.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagepaigenicole23:
    Today he said something like it's not great for me to have had a PTL scare followed by a pre-e scare and then to have contractions every day, and due to pre-exisisting anxiety and baby size he wants to help get things going since I hit our goal of 37w. I guess to him one day before 37w wasn't a big deal. He doesn't want me going past 39w due to all the "complications".

1 day before 37w seems OK.  I thought you meant like a week ago Tuesday.  I don't like his reasoning since those aren't really complications, but as long as you're cool with it go for it! 

• Options
    imagebotanicalbliss:

imagepaigenicole23:

1 day before 37w seems OK.  I thought you meant like a week ago Tuesday.  I don't like his reasoning since those aren't really complications, but as long as you're cool with it go for it! 

That's why I loosely use the word "complications" (his word of choice). The only thing that has me on the fence is my anxiety. I am not anxious about labor but since I have a history of anxiety attacks I don't how or if it will come in to play and stress out LO during these last few weeks. OB thinks that combo of big baby and my anxiety as well as daily contractions (but doesn't a membrane sweep bring them on...?) has put too much stress on baby and that isn't good, especially since they had to stop PTL and I had to have the NST because he stopped moving.

• Options
    imagepaigenicole23:
    imagebotanicalbliss:

imagepaigenicole23:

That's why I loosely use the word "complications" (his word of choice). The only thing that has me on the fence is my anxiety. I am not anxious about labor but since I have a history of anxiety attacks I don't how or if it will come in to play and stress out LO during these last few weeks. OB thinks that combo of big baby and my anxiety as well as daily contractions (but doesn't a membrane sweep bring them on...?) has put too much stress on baby and that isn't good, especially since they had to stop PTL and I had to have the NST because he stopped moving.

I can see where he's coming from.  I hope I don't sound judgey - I'm not trying to!  I have anxiety, too, so I understand where you are coming from with that.  I hope you can get through the last bit of pregnancy w/o too much anxiety!

• Options
    imagebotanicalbliss:

I can see where he's coming from.  I hope I don't sound judgey - I'm not trying to!  I have anxiety, too, so I understand where you are coming from with that.  I hope you can get through the last bit of pregnancy w/o too much anxiety!

You definitely don't! He's my OB and even I side eye him for doing it without telling me. I don't like induction unless it is really necessary, and I don't think a big baby is means for induction. But this is my first pregnancy, and as I'm finding out there is still a lot I don't know so with all the combined factors I am going to trust him with deciding to induce at 39 weeks if I do get to make it that far!

Sorry you have anxiety too, hope you aren't getting stressed about labor. Not too much longer for you either, hope everything goes well for you & LO!

• Options
    imagepaigenicole23:
    imagebotanicalbliss:

You definitely don't! He's my OB and even I side eye him for doing it without telling me. I don't like induction unless it is really necessary, and I don't think a big baby is means for induction. But this is my first pregnancy, and as I'm finding out there is still a lot I don't know so with all the combined factors I am going to trust him with deciding to induce at 39 weeks if I do get to make it that far!

Sorry you have anxiety too, hope you aren't getting stressed about labor. Not too much longer for you either, hope everything goes well for you & LO!

Hopefully, you'll go before you need an induction, but if not, good luck!  I've been on meds the whole pregnancy, so my anxiety isn't too bad usually, but I have bad days now and then. 

• Options
    Good luck to you! I haven't had my membranes swept first internal was this week at 39 weeks an cervix was incredibly high. I'm hoping they could do it next week to prevent induction the week after..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"