June 2013 Moms

BTDT moms: Glass or Plastic

I am sure it has been asked here before but I am trying to decide if I should get glass or plastic bottles. I plan to exclusively formula feed so I want something that will be safe and that I won't keep having to replace. Any thoughts?

Re: BTDT moms: Glass or Plastic

• I've never used glass. I always get plastic. Never had a problem with them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • in the past with DS1 I nursed, and formula fed. I used glass bottles because of the chemicals that the plastic gives out when the bottle is heated up.

However; plastic bottles don't break- and your LO one day will hold their own bottle I am sure, and I wouldn't give them a glass bottle.

Just make sure the plastic bottles are BPA free-

• Loading the player...
  • We mostly used Playtex Drop-ins, then later used a different kind of plastic.

I never had to replace the plastic bottles. The Playtex drop-in bottle deteriorated a bit, so I threw them out when we were done with them, but the others didn't.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We are using glass this time and getting silicone covers. I am so excited! I hated thinking plastic was getting into his milk and I never felt like it was clean!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had glass last time because I felt like it was going to get cleaner.  They worked ok at first (although the ones we had - Born Free) had several pieces that we found to be a PITA).  But then he started daycare and they preferred we provide plastic and we found that they worked just as well and when he came time for him to start holding his own bottle he couldn't lift the glass bottles because they're crazy heavy.  We decided to go straight to plastic this time.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imageheavenpaige:
    I've never used glass. I always get plastic. Never had a problem with them.
    +1

DS1 2-26-07
    DS2 10-18-10
    M/C 8-5-12
    DS3  6-21-13
    #4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p577/Jennidyan1109/23d540d6-b829-444c-8c32-e5df839d3d41.jpg?t=1417822558

• I'm going to be BFing, but bottle feeding as well so daddy can get in on the 2am feeding fun!

We decided on the comotomo silicon bottles. They resemble a booby, are bpa free, safe to boil, steam, put in dishwasher, and have two anti colic vents on the nipples. They are also super easy to hand wash since they're a wider bottle.
  • imageheavenpaige:

This.

• imagebrandilc84:

Just make sure the plastic bottles are BPA free-

This.  I used (and will use again) Avent bottles.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • plastic.. i'd be nervous about the glass breaking lol

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • imagemjune3881:

imageheavenpaige:

This.

Same here

• I use glass. I tend to stay away from
    Plastic in general because the chemicals in plastic leach into food. A lot of baby stuff says bpa free but a huge story just came out not too long ago and a study found that the replacement for bpa, bps, was more
    Harmful than bpa.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Funny story...well, funny to me...

I'm 30 and my younger brother is 24, so it's been a while since my mom has had infants.  When I mention all the new fangled gadgets like baby monitors, travel systems, the snuza I want, wipe warmers (which I'm not interested in), she tends to scoff. "I didn't have those things and you still turned out fine!"  Well, I mentioned considering glass bottles because of the BPA issue and having them retain nutrients better since I plan to exclusively breast feed, but I was worried since they could break easier.  I expected her reaction to be telling me it wasn't necessary and to just go plastic (i remember my little brother only having plastic bottles), but instead she surprised me with "I never had a bottle break with you." So even though there are downsides to glass (breakable, heavier, etc.), I'm going glass because they're approved by my mom (among other reasons, of course) :-)

If necessary, when LO starts to hold her own bottle, I might switch to the plastic ones. 

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Glass bottle mama here! I've never had one break...and they've been dropped on wood floors. I imagine tile would pose an issue, but I don't let my LO wander around with a bottle anyways. I felt they came more clean than plastic. My daycare provider had no issue with them either.
  • imagecourtnif:
    Glass bottle mama here! I've never had one break...and they've been dropped on wood floors. I imagine tile would pose an issue, but I don't let my LO wander around with a bottle anyways. I felt they came more clean than plastic. My daycare provider had no issue with them either.

We have tile and I've dropped the bottles and they had never broken. I also never allowed my son to walk around with a bottle. I fed him his breastmilk and that was it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I always defrosted breast milk in the storage bag and we did formula room temp. We used plastic.

Iirc I read that the BM antibodies stick to glass so baby doesn't get them all.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageemolm:
    Iirc I read that the BM antibodies stick to glass so baby doesn't get them all.

Where'd you find this?  I did a quick google search that provided a couple (albeit dubiously sourced) pages that said just the opposite, and some others that did say it was the case.  Are there any good studies out there?

I'm hoping to use glass, but if there are good reasons not to, I'm definitely open to switching. 

BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"