Parenting

Stay Classy, San Diego

Oh look, HS girls suspended for being in a video featuring suggestive dance moves. 

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Students-Suspended-Over-Twerking-Video-Scripps-Ranch-Prom--205627811.html

The Public HS in question is in an upper middle class, mostly white (some Asian) area. Assuming said video wasn't filmed during school hours or on school property, I smell a Lawsuit coming. Schools fundamentally do not have the right to regulate off-hours behavior of students, even in the Facebook age.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
-My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.

Re: Stay Classy, San Diego

• Meh. 

I would not bunch my panties about this. 

ETA: To clarify, I would not bunch my panties about the creation of the video on school property, with school equipment, etc. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• imagecmeon_the_water:
    Did you read the article? It says that it was filmed during school hours, with school equipment, and edited with more school equipment?

LOL I guess I missed that paragraph. Ooops.

They still might have a case though. Not nearly as open-and-shut, but enough they could probably get the district to back down just from the threat of going to court. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Loading the player...
  • Wish I could still twerk it. off to go practice.
  • imageCinemaGoddess:

Meh. 

I would not bunch my panties about this. 

ETA: To clarify, I would not bunch my panties about the creation of the video on school property, with school equipment, etc. 

This! 

• You know the girls in this video will look back on it in 20 years and think "My god.  I had a slammin' body and I thought I was fat.  I wish I had that body back.  Also, I can't believe I gave it up to that assshole in HS.  He totally wasn't worth my time or vagina.  Assshole." 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• I agree with the school, being as it was filmed at school, during the day, and taped and edited with school owned equipment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecrystaladult:

imageBetty&Co:
    Wish I could still twerk it. off to go practice.

I don't know what this means but initially, I read it as you wanting to go masturbate. Whisper

Lol in your dreams!

No, literally.
  • Actually there are a variety of things you can do off campus that still get you in trouble at school, eg fighting, harassment, drugs, alcohol, etc.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • imagewatermelon mom:
    Actually there are a variety of things you can do off campus that still get you in trouble at school, eg fighting, harassment, drugs, alcohol, etc.

unfortunately, this isn't the case in a lot of areas.  See: Suicides in OH and Canada. 

And how can getting into a fight in your backyard cause you to get in trouble at school?  No snark.  I'm seriously wondering how that works. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imagemabenner1:
    I agree with the school, being as it was filmed at school, during the day, and taped and edited with school owned equipment.

Yes. I'm sorry that the students were short-sighted. I hate this for them. I am sure, like in my school district, there is a policy that states, "If you are suspended from school within such-and-such amount of time from senior activities, you will be ineligible to attend/participate." It's unlikely that this is a random punishment chosen just to make their lives miserable.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• imageCinemaGoddess:

imagewatermelon mom:
    Actually there are a variety of things you can do off campus that still get you in trouble at school, eg fighting, harassment, drugs, alcohol, etc.

unfortunately, this isn't the case in a lot of areas.  See: Suicides in OH and Canada. 

And how can getting into a fight in your backyard cause you to get in trouble at school?  No snark.  I'm seriously wondering how that works. 

In our school district, there is a window of time before and after school hours and certain distance within school property in which we can enforce school rules. Basically, if we can show that the incident was somehow school related, we can still suspend or whatever. So if the fight was instigated at school but didn't take place until 30 minutes after school hours 2 blocks away (random time frame and distance chosen), we can still deal with it as a school incident.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Huh. But if it was completely unrelated to school, it couldn't affect the school record, yes?   

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageCinemaGoddess:
    You know the girls in this video will look back on it in 20 years and think "My god.nbsp; I had a slammin' body and I thought I was fat.nbsp; I wish I had that body back.nbsp; Also, I can't believe I gave it up to that assshole in HS.nbsp; He totally wasn't worth my time or vagina.nbsp; Assshole."nbsp;

So this pretty much sums up how I reflect on my high school days. Get out of my head, CG!
    DS1 November 2009
    DS2 August 2012
  • imageCinemaGoddess:
    Huh. But if it was completely unrelated to school, it couldn't affect the school record, yes?   

I really don't think so. I haven't seen an example of this first hand, so I'm not sure. The only punishments I have seen for things that didn't happen at school were definitely school related.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• imagecmeon_the_water:

imageCinemaGoddess:
    Huh. But if it was completely unrelated to school, it couldn't affect the school record, yes?   

It's much, much better when schools deal with these things rather than get police involved. An in school suspension for fighting beats doing time for battery.

It's one of the best arguments against putting more police into our schools- issues that could be dealt with on the school side get bumped to criminal matters much too often when there's police on campus.

The police don't always get involved, tho. 

I don't think kids have their school in mind when they do stupid shiit.  I don't agree with the school getting involved in their personal lives unless, like Sarah said, something happened within school grounds.  Like that girl in OH.  What happened to her didn't happen in school, but it sure as hell exploded in school. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• I know the bullying law in MA states something along the lines of things happening outside of school that affect the child when they are in school. So they get harassed online and it affects their life in school because they don't feel safe. I am in MA and that is where the Phoebe Prince incident happened.

I am not sure what our policy on fighting outside of school is, but I don't think a fight off school ground can get you in trouble at school here. Like a pp said though, usually the police get involved instead.

I think alcohol and drugs off campus only apply to athletics.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"