January 2013 Moms

Unpopular Opinion Thursday

Let's here them, ladies. I am going to dig deep and try to think up some good ones. Forgive me if I hit a few hot topics.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

In the long run, I don't really think it matters when you start feeding solids. I also don't think whether or not you use baby cereal (which is apparently frowned upon lately) matters in the long run. Personally, I will probably wait until close to 6 months like I did with DS1, and I will probably start with veggies. However, I don't judge those that start a 4 months and use rice cereal. (And yes, I have done research but that doesn't mean I am an expert on what's best for other families.)

I don't think it is a big deal if my kid is not STTN. Yes, I complain when we have rough nights, but I don't even have expectations of consistent STTN until closer to a year old. Even then, there will always be periods of teething, daylight savings, vaccinations, etc that will throw things off. It is so much easier to not be stressing about it. If it happens, I will just consider myself lucky. 

Unless your child has a known medical condition, I don't really see a need for the angel care monitor. I don't mean to offend anyone. It's your money. I just don't really see it being necessary.They seem more of a pain in the butt than useful.

Ok. Cole's awake from his 12 minute nap. Time to take the boys out to dinner. I expect some good UO's when I get back.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thursday

• I definitely need to think of something to add but I definitely agree with you on 2 points:  When DD wakes  up frequently at night, I consider it normal and don't expect her to STTN any time soon.  I also think angel care monitors are unnecessary for most families.  

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• My unpopular opinion....

I think that ppl are way to cautious about germs.You will make your child sicker by keeping things to clean. Germs are not the devil 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it's silly to start cereal for texture. Real food has texture too. Why not just give them that? I also think 4 months is too early, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Probably going to hit a nerve here, but I'm not a fan of breastfeeding in public, whether it's me or someone else. Not going to list a bunch of reasons why because I know people will argue that it's natural and your right to feed your baby, etc, etc and that's their right to their opinion, but I am not a fan!

ETA: I also can't stand when people keep their houses silent because the baby is sleeping. We literally watched a huge football game at a friend's house once and we couldn't make a sound and could hardly hear the TV because the baby was in bed. Seriously, if you make noise from day one your baby will learn to sleep through it!
  • imageNortyLeigh:
    Probably going to hit a nerve here, but I'm not a fan of breastfeeding in public, whether it's me or someone else. Not going to list a bunch of reasons why because I know people will argue that it's natural and your right to feed your baby, etc, etc and that's their right to their opinion, but I am not a fan!

ETA: I also can't stand when people keep their houses silent because the baby is sleeping. We literally watched a huge football game at a friend's house once and we couldn't make a sound and could hardly hear the TV because the baby was in bed. Seriously, if you make noise from day one your baby will learn to sleep through it!

What's wrong with bf'ing in public? Would you rather hear my baby scream? He's a good screamer when he's hungry.

I agree with your second point.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • BLPL101BLPL101 member
    imageBrendamndz:

2)        I do not think anyone should ever under any circumstance put their LO in their infant carrier on TOP of the damn shopping cart. Every time I see this it takes so much self control for me not to strangle the adult with the LO.

THIS! I am shocked at how often I see people doing this.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMelissaRae1525:
    imageNortyLeigh:
    Probably going to hit a nerve here, but I'm not a fan of breastfeeding in public, whether it's me or someone else. Not going to list a bunch of reasons why because I know people will argue that it's natural and your right to feed your baby, etc, etc and that's their right to their opinion, but I am not a fan! ETA: I also can't stand when people keep their houses silent because the baby is sleeping. We literally watched a huge football game at a friend's house once and we couldn't make a sound and could hardly hear the TV because the baby was in bed. Seriously, if you make noise from day one your baby will learn to sleep through it!
    What's wrong with bf'ing in public? Would you rather hear my baby scream? He's a good screamer when he's hungry. I agree with your second point.

Yeah, I've never understood how people can be "not a fan" of NIP.  Is it that you're not comfortable with breasts being used for their intended purpose?  Or... you have issues with watching a baby eat?  It does hit a nerve because I hate when women feel that they should be ashamed of feeding their child in public.  It can have a very negative impact on a woman's breastfeeding relationship.

re: Cereal.  It can make a difference if your child's digestive system is essentially injured.  You may not realize that it's linked back to something like cereal (it's hard to pinpoint, obviously), but if your child ends up with an autoimmune disorder or allergies of some sort you may wish that you had held off another 8 weeks on giving them grains.  Just saying.  Guess that's my UO. 

I also dislike Bumbos.  That's definitely an UO.

I'm sure I have a lot of other UOs, but I can't think of any...

Oh, I think sleep training is way overused.  I think there are high needs babies out there that probably do need more guidance with sleep than other children, but in general, babies don't need to be taught how to sleep.  Sure, you need to let it happen, but that's not the same as this theory that kids need to be TAUGHT how to do it.  Imagine where the human race would be if we really needed to be taught a biological function like sleeping.  It's a really silly concept IMO.  

That's it for now :)

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • BLPL101BLPL101 member

I don't think CIO is a big deal.

While I want another child, I completely understand why people only have one. Being a mom is way harder than I ever imagined and I know it's going to get tougher when she is a toddler! 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Mine are these:  I think moms who co-sleep are setting themselves up for difficulty.  So when your kid has a hard time "transitioning" I don't have any sympathy.  Just my opinion, and I'm not against moms who choose to do it, it's just not my thing.

Secondly, I think people who don't vaccinate their kids are irresponsible.

And to pp's 1. I love my angelcare, never had any issues with it nor is it finicky if you read the instructions.  2. NIP doesn't bother me in the slightest, I am happy to feed my DS whenever/wherever he is hungry. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageb0710:
    My UO...I could care less that I can't put DS down drowsy. I love holding and rocking my son...he doesn't have to be rocked to sleep just prefers that he fall asleep with a person. I rocked DS1 and he completely stopped wanting that all on his own; honestly before I was ready for it. I think many people overvalue the whole drowsy but awake thing. I will admit bedtime probably takes those people less time but as a working mama, I wouldn't trade that time for anything.

Agreed!

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imageOhBaby+2013:

Mine are these:  I think moms who co-sleep are setting themselves up for difficulty.  So when your kid has a hard time "transitioning" I don't have any sympathy.  Just my opinion, and I'm not against moms who choose to do it, it's just not my thing.

Secondly, I think people who don't vaccinate their kids are irresponsible.

Maybe I'm just lucky then? I co-slept with DS because he WOULD NOT sleep anywhere else the first couple months. He now easily sleeps in his PnP in our room at night and his crib during the day. DS could easily sleep in his crib at night but I like him in our room (but not our bed) per AAP's sleep recommendations.

I wholeheartedly agree with your second point!! I have a friend who had her second child in December. She is adamantly opposed to vaccinating and will post 'studies' that 'prove' vaccines cause more harm than good... more ear infections, colds etc. Two points: 1) These are survey based studies...not the most scientific 'proof' out there, and 2) Even if these studies are true I would much more prefer my child to have an ear infection than whooping cough, thanks.

• 82Sonia82Sonia member
    I also think that parents who don't vaccinate are so irresponsible. Maybe that's becoming a popular opinion.

I think home births are gross.

• Brendamndz - not sure which model you have but mine has the option on the parents monitor to turn off the movement alarm.  Not sure why yours goes off when it's unplugged by try the parents monitor.  And I have a solid piece of wood on the bottom of the crib.  My sister used plywood on the bottom of her as it didn't have a full wood bottom.  I definitely think it makes a difference if it's wood vs. cardboard.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image82Sonia:
    I also think that parents who don't vaccinate are so irresponsible. Maybe that's becoming a popular opinion. I think home births are gross.

Agreed...totally gross! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Haha, that's why I put NIP under unpopular opinion. I know most people don't agree with me and I'm fine with that. Personally, I don't breast feed for the "bond" with my baby. I am able to bond with him in many other ways. I breast feed because it's good for him and honestly, it's free. I have nothing against formula as DH and I were both formula fed and we are healthy and smart.
  • imageNortyLeigh:
    Haha, that's why I put NIP under unpopular opinion. I know most people don't agree with me and I'm fine with that. Personally, I don't breast feed for the "bond" with my baby. I am able to bond with him in many other ways. I breast feed because it's good for him and honestly, it's free. I have nothing against formula as DH and I were both formula fed and we are healthy and smart.

What does the bolded have to do with disliking NIP?  Or, you're just talking about it in general because it's a related topic?

FWIW, there's nothing wrong with nursing because it's free and it's good for your baby.  I'm sure that a lot of mothers don't actually particularly enjoy the act of breastfeeding.  Everyone is different.  No shame in that!

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • imageBrendamndz:

2)        I do not think anyone should ever under any circumstance put their LO in their infant carrier on TOP of the damn shopping cart. Every time I see this it takes so much self control for me not to strangle the adult with the LO.

3)        I kinda feel like the vitamin D drops are a waste for R. I do it though, when I remember.

The shopping cart thing drives me mad! I think it is soooo dangerous. I am right there with you.

Also, and I guess adding my UO, I have the Vitamin D drops and have never given them to my DD. She's EBF so I feel that she gets plenty of healthy nutrients and we try to get natural Vitamin D from walks outside. I think they're kind of a racket/waste of money. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Okay.. Here's mine.. I'm from the south so most of the kids around come out eating table food... That's just how it is.. I have been giving my LO cereal since he was 6 weeks old and I'm fixing to start baby food pretty soon.. He was almost 10 pounds and the child acts like he is starving so I'm going to feed him. My mom did it to me and I turned out just fine! :
    P.s my pedi said he was cool with everything I have been giving him!
  • jobiannjobiann member
    I don't get those baby food pouch things...why is your kid sucking food out of a pouch...what happened to spoons? Sorry but I just don't get it.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• imageBLPL101:
    imageBrendamndz:

Just wondering Why? You mean the carseat carrier?
  • imagesbevmc09:

imageNortyLeigh:
    Haha, that's why I put NIP under unpopular opinion. I know most people don't agree with me and I'm fine with that. Personally, I don't breast feed for the "bond" with my baby. I am able to bond with him in many other ways. I breast feed because it's good for him and honestly, it's free. I have nothing against formula as DH and I were both formula fed and we are healthy and smart.

What does the bolded have to do with disliking NIP?  Or, you're just talking about it in general because it's a related topic?

FWIW, there's nothing wrong with nursing because it's free and it's good for your baby.  I'm sure that a lot of mothers don't actually particularly enjoy the act of breastfeeding.  Everyone is different.  No shame in that!

I just meant in general. Kind of another UO. I often hear people say they BF to bond with their baby.
  • imagePrivacyWanted:
    imageNortyLeigh:

Are you implying that being OK with NIP means you are against formula?

I don't care how people feed their child , which is why I've never cared how someone chooses to feed in public.

And unfortunately I think the anti NIp view is more popular, which is why many are afraid or uncomfortable to do so.

Not at all. Just stating my opinion on it in general. Guess I shouldn't have put it in that statement. Everyone is free to feed their child however they choose and good for them. You obviously feel strongly about nip and good for you for standing up for what you believe in. I commend that. It's not for me and that's ok too. I'm glad the world is full of differing views and UP's, otherwise life would get pretty boring!

ETA: UO's, not UP's. I'm tired!
  • imageNortyLeigh:
    imagesbevmc09:

imageNortyLeigh:

I just meant in general. Kind of another UO. I often hear people say they BF to bond with their baby.

I see.  Well I certainly agree you can bond with your baby without nursing them :)

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • imageArichison08:

Also, and I guess adding my UO, I have the Vitamin D drops and have never given them to my DD. She's EBF so I feel that she gets plenty of healthy nutrients and we try to get natural Vitamin D from walks outside. I think they're kind of a racket/waste of money. 

I think you're on the right track.  I don't like them either.  I think they're a way to make money off of nursing mothers and I also think it undermines a woman's confidence in her milk fulfilling all of baby's nutritional needs.

They're only recommended because a lot of people in North America are vitamin D deficient.  I think it's wrong to recommend it across the board though because if you're actually thinking about getting vitamin D then you're likely not deficient!  It's not like it's hard :)

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • imageb0710:
    My UO...I could care less that I can't put DS down drowsy. I love holding and rocking my son...he doesn't have to be rocked to sleep just prefers that he fall asleep with a person. I rocked DS1 and he completely stopped wanting that all on his own; honestly before I was ready for it. I think many people overvalue the whole drowsy but awake thing. I will admit bedtime probably takes those people less time but as a working mama, I wouldn't trade that time for anything.

I agree! I nurse DS to sleep every night and wouldn't trade it for anything.

DS has been sick this week so I'm too tired to think of an UO.

• imagejobiann:
    I don't get those baby food pouch things...why is your kid sucking food out of a pouch...what happened to spoons? Sorry but I just don't get it.

My son is 21 months old, and I actually just started using these recently. He only gets them a few times a week, but they are a good snack to keep in the diaper bag. He will eat them in the car sometimes when we are running errands. I only buy the ones with a fruit/veggie mix. It is a great way to get a serving of spinach/pumpkin/broccoli, etc in when on the go. I prefer to give him fresh fruit and veggies, but convenience is a factor you can't ignore.  

• imageNortyLeigh:
    Probably going to hit a nerve here, but I'm not a fan of breastfeeding in public, whether it's me or someone else. Not going to list a bunch of reasons why because I know people will argue that it's natural and your right to feed your baby, etc, etc and that's their right to their opinion, but I am not a fan!

I'm not going to flip, because as of a few weeks ago I agreed completely! I have always been 100% for BFing. I'm quite a power-througher myself, but I was like, just because I think it's important doesn't mean it needs to be right in my face.

I mean, I understand people doing it here and there, but I thought church was pushing it. Then I was like, okay, but not during THIS part of church. But now, I've changed my mind. I'm like, that baby needs to be fed and why should you miss all of church to feed that baby? I used to be like, just prepare a bottle! But now I'm like, pumping is a pain in the butt. I went as far as feeding my son while eating lunch inside an Olive Garden last week! Yeah. I've completely joined the other side. ;) 

• imageLisapyle:
    Okay.. Here's mine.. I'm from the south so most of the kids around come out eating table food... That's just how it is.. I have been giving my LO cereal since he was 6 weeks old and I'm fixing to start baby food pretty soon.. He was almost 10 pounds and the child acts like he is starving so I'm going to feed him. My mom did it to me and I turned out just fine! :

6 weeks? Are you serious. I'm from the south too. That's no excuse. That's insane. And the my parents did it so its fine is the most bull shitt excuse I have ever heard. My mom rode with no car seat with my grandpa smoking while holding her. Is that cool too?

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • imagekatiebird1127:
    imageBLPL101:
    imageBrendamndz:

2)        I do not think anyone should ever under any circumstance put their LO in their infant carrier on TOP of the damn shopping cart. Every time I see this it takes much self control for me not to strangle the adult with the LO.

Just wondering Why? You mean the carseat carrier?

https://www.woai.com/content/troubleshooters/story/Carseatsinshoppingcartsbecomeadangerous/r8L5T6EXd0mw29A5OjCsaw.cspx

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/118/2/e545.full

https://www.youtube.com/watch?vWzp8VvfNgfeatureyoutube_gdata_player

i've been trying to find an article i read last fall, but i can't. the key thing is, check your carseat manuala lot of them say not to.
    imageimageAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBrendamndz:
    imageOhBaby2013:
    Brendamndz not sure which model you have but mine has the option on the parents monitor to turn off the movement alarm. nbsp;Not sure why yours goes off when it's unplugged by try the parents monitor. nbsp;And I have a solid piece of wood on the bottom of the crib. nbsp;My sister used plywood on the bottom of her as it didn't have a full wood bottom. nbsp;I definitely think it makes a difference if it's wood vs. cardboard.
    Ok I just put a piece of wood, it doesn't fit the entire bottom of the crib but leaves about 3 inches left uncovered around it under the mattress thus the sensor pad is right on top. I turned it on and brought R in the crib and positioned her all over the corners, where I normally find her when it goes off and the green movement light flashed the entire time with no alarms or warnings. Yay! I think I solved it, we will see tonight. I appreciate your help btw. Mobile smiley. Just curious but what number do you have your sensitivity set at? I increased ours now that I have the piece of wood in place.

Sorry, I totally missed this last night - I think ours is set to 3 maybe.  Not really sure.  I will look in the morning.  I hope your night has been alarm free. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • jobiannjobiann member
    imageMason&Mama:

imagejobiann:

My son is 21 months old, and I actually just started using these recently. He only gets them a few times a week, but they are a good snack to keep in the diaper bag. He will eat them in the car sometimes when we are running errands. I only buy the ones with a fruit/veggie mix. It is a great way to get a serving of spinach/pumpkin/broccoli, etc in when on the go. I prefer to give him fresh fruit and veggies, but convenience is a factor you can't ignore.  

I can see on the go....a friend of mine posts pictures of her 6 month old rolling around on the carpet in her apartment with a pouch attached to his mouth. That I don't understand...she is home, put him in the high chair and feed him already! 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• imageMelissaRae1525:
    imageLisapyle:
    Okay.. Here's mine.. I'm from the south so most of the kids around come out eating table food... That's just how it is.. I have been giving my LO cereal since he was 6 weeks old and I'm fixing to start baby food pretty soon.. He was almost 10 pounds and the child acts like he is starving so I'm going to feed him. My mom did it to me and I turned out just fine! :

6 weeks? Are you serious. I'm from the south too. That's no excuse. That's insane. And the my parents did it so its fine is the most bull shitt excuse I have ever heard. My mom rode with no car seat with my grandpa smoking while holding her. Is that cool too?

Yes you read it right I said 6 weeks. He was a big baby and formula doesn't always fill him up. So I will put like half a teaspoon it his bottle. It isn't going to hurt them. That's why I have never posted this on here because I knew some people would *** there pants.
  • imageLisapyle:
    imageMelissaRae1525:
    imageLisapyle:
    Okay.. Here's mine.. I'm from the south so most of the kids around come out eating table food... That's just how it is.. I have been giving my LO cereal since he was 6 weeks old and I'm fixing to start baby food pretty soon.. He was almost 10 pounds and the child acts like he is starving so I'm going to feed him. My mom did it to me and I turned out just fine! : P.s my pedi said he was cool with everything I have been giving him!
    Yes you read it right I said 6 weeks. He was a big baby and formula doesn't always fill him up. So I will put like half a teaspoon it his bottle. It isn't going to hurt them. That's why I have never posted this on here because I knew some people would *** there pants.

Yay for UO's Wink

My unpopular opinion...I don't care! lol No really, I try not to judge other people's parenting decisions. If it's something that I feel is unsafe (but not illegal) like the baby carrier on the shopping cart, I will let you know...but if you decide not to act on that information-so be it. I may come across as judgy, but that's more because I'm kinda socially awkward...in reality, I just want to make sure you are making an informed decision. But in the end-that is your decision to make!

• SWOG31SWOG31 member

imageLisapyle:
    imageMelissaRae1525:
    imageLisapyle:
    Okay.. Here's mine.. I'm from the south so most of the kids around come out eating table food... That's just how it is.. I have been giving my LO cereal since he was 6 weeks old and I'm fixing to start baby food pretty soon.. He was almost 10 pounds and the child acts like he is starving so I'm going to feed him. My mom did it to me and I turned out just fine! : P.s my pedi said he was cool with everything I have been giving him!

Putting cereal in my LO's bottle has been suggested to me as unsolicited advice since LO was about 4 to 5 weeks old. It came from everywhere, from family members to the pest control guy. I never listened, but it is definitely a really popular old school way. I'm never surprised by anyone who caves to this advice, especially if you're desperate to get your baby to STTN.

I don't know if it's truly relevant, but I live in the south. 

image ?/25 my chart image
  • imageSWOG31:

Putting cereal in my LO's bottle has been suggested to me as unsolicited advice since LO was about 4 to 5 weeks old. It came from everywhere, from family members to the pest control guy. I never listened, but it is definitely a really popular old school way. I'm never surprised by anyone who caves to this advice, especially if you're desperate to get your baby to STTN.

I don't know if it's truly relevant, but I live in the south. 

lol. I haven't gotten it much (possibly because I breastfeed), but on a particularly sleep-deprived afternoon someone sugested it to help him sleep a bit...my response: "No thanks, I can't stand the taste..." don't think they got it though Sad

• imageLisapyle:
    imageMelissaRae1525:
    imageLisapyle:

How do you know it isn't going to hurt him?  If you're making this choice, I get the impression that you're probably uneducated on the topic.  I don't think anyone who really understands how important it is to NOT introduce grains to an underdeveloped system would be pooh-poohing the risks of unnecessarily giving their baby cereal.  In a bottle.  ::face palm:: 

Sorry, I just can't get behind this.  At all.  Your baby is fine eating just breastmilk/formula.  They don't need any additional food.  If you think their food needs aren't met with BM/formula you're reading their cues incorrectly.  I feel extremely confident in making this determination even without any additional information from you.  

At the end of the day it's your child, but why anyone would want to increase the likelihood that their child will have to deal with auto-immune disorders, diabetes, obesity, chronic inflammation, allergies, etc. is just absolutely beyond my comprehension.  If you want to argue starting at 4mo, I don't agree, but at least there's a better chance the outcome will be fine.  But seriously?  6 weeks?  I just can't. 

When you know better, you do better.  Just because earlier generations didn't have access to the information that we do doesn't mean it's okay to continue the ignorance.  

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • imagesbevmc09:

imageLisapyle:
    imageMelissaRae1525:
    imageLisapyle:

How do you know it isn't going to hurt him?  If you're making this choice, I get the impression that you're probably uneducated on the topic.  I don't think anyone who really understands how important it is to NOT introduce grains to an underdeveloped system would be pooh-poohing the risks of unnecessarily giving their baby cereal.  In a bottle.  ::face palm:: 

Sorry, I just can't get behind this.  At all.  Your baby is fine eating just breastmilk/formula.  They don't need any additional food.  If you think their food needs aren't met with BM/formula you're reading their cues incorrectly.  I feel extremely confident in making this determination even without any additional information from you.  

At the end of the day it's your child, but why anyone would want to increase the likelihood that their child will have to deal with auto-immune disorders, diabetes, obesity, chronic inflammation, allergies, etc. is just absolutely beyond my comprehension.  If you want to argue starting at 4mo, I don't agree, but at least there's a better chance the outcome will be fine.  But seriously?  6 weeks?  I just can't. 

When you know better, you do better.  Just because earlier generations didn't have access to the information that we do doesn't mean it's okay to continue the ignorance.  

I didn't do it to get him to sleep through the night. It doesn't bother me to get up with him. And no it's not that i am uneducated about the topic. I talked to his pedi about this. I would give him 6 ounces of formula and he would just scream after he was finished because he was still starving so I would give him 6 more and after it was finished he still was hungry so the pedi told me to put a little bit in his formula so that's what I did and he seemed satisfied. I don't do it with every bottle but when he acts like he isn't getting enough I put a little cereal in there. I would rather listen to my dr then would some random research on the Internet said. My baby is perfectly health. Everyone will have there opinions but in the end it's my decision on what I want to feed my child.
  • imageLisapyle:
    imagesbevmc09:

imageLisapyle:
    imageMelissaRae1525:
    imageLisapyle:

I didn't do it to get him to sleep through the night. It doesn't bother me to get up with him. And no it's not that i am uneducated about the topic. I talked to his pedi about this. I would give him 6 ounces of formula and he would just scream after he was finished because he was still starving so I would give him 6 more and after it was finished he still was hungry so the pedi told me to put a little bit in his formula so that's what I did and he seemed satisfied. I don't do it with every bottle but when he acts like he isn't getting enough I put a little cereal in there. I would rather listen to my dr then would some random research on the Internet said. My baby is perfectly health. Everyone will have there opinions but in the end it's my decision on what I want to feed my child.

You're right.  It certainly is your decision.  

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • While I do side-eye that pedi for recommending cereal at 6 weeks for satisfaction, I will play devil's advocate and point out that it is still common for doctors to suggest cereal in the bottle for severe reflux. I have always heard that cereal should never be given in a bottle for other reasons, but for reflux it is not unheard of. As far as helping with sleep, cereal in the bottle has been used for generations, but it is just an OWT that this works. 
  • imagesbevmc09:
    imageLisapyle:
    imagesbevmc09:

imageLisapyle:
    imageMelissaRae1525:
    imageLisapyle:

You're right.  It certainly is your decision.  

Gotta get in on this gem. 

This young food doesn't really have nutritional value. Solids are just a way for LOs to experiment. Even when they're introduced you're supposed to continue BFing/Formula. And like PP said it can damage their digestive system, set them up for allergies, etc. Sure, it's your decision but I side-eye the sh*t out of you.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"