Parenting
Options

Inappropriate Kids Movies

DH picked up a whole bunch of older Disney movies. Things like Lady and the Tramp, Peter Pan, ect. I never knew how wildly inappropriate they are now. Like theres a whole song about The Red Man? Anyone else notice this? What movies have you found that are now way inappropriate for the times?
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Inappropriate Kids Movies

• Options
    imagekrptcmschfmkr128:

I think pretty much all kid's movies have adult entertainment in them. How else would they get parents to sit through them with their kids?

My favorite, though, is from Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1gJHj0vUao

I'm not talking about suggestive material. I'm talking about things like child beating, booze, and racist things in the old kids movies. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Most "classic" kids movies are inappropriate for one reason or another viewed through today's eyes.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageLuckyDad:
    Most "classic" kids movies are inappropriate for one reason or another viewed through today's eyes.

True dat. I was just shocked about some of it. Just in The Rescuers and Peter Pan alone.

• Options

Yeah we just watched Peter Pan the other day. Lily was of course thrilled because it contained both pirates and Tinkerbell. I was like, "Holy shiit this is so racist!!"...and then wondered why Song of the South was basically banned here if it's still OK to show Peter Pan. 

Can't remember what's wrong with Lady & the Tramp though?  

• Options
    imageNana_Osaki06:

imageLuckyDad:

True dat. I was just shocked about some of it. Just in The Rescuers and Peter Pan alone.

What happened in the rescuers?

image image
  • Options
    imageRondackHiker:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

imageLuckyDad:

They talk about alcohol and getting drunk... a lot. They stick a little girl at gun point into a hole. The hit her. There was a lot wrong with that movie lol.

Also, there wasn't much wrong with Lady and the Tramp. The only thing that bothers me is the dog hitting.

• Options
    imageMintBerryCrunch:

Yeah we just watched Peter Pan the other day. Lily was of course thrilled because it contained both pirates and Tinkerbell. I was like, "Holy shiit this is so racist!!"...and then wondered why Song of the South was basically banned here if it's still OK to show Peter Pan. 

What the what? Are you talking about the classic song "Song of the South" by legendary country band Alabama?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagejme515:
    imageMintBerryCrunch:

What the what? Are you talking about the classic song "Song of the South" by legendary country band Alabama?

No. It's an old Disney movie about black people.

• Options
    Yep. I HATE Dumbo. Scared the hell pitas DS when my in laws showed it to him too..

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • Options
    imageNana_Osaki06:
    imageRondackHiker:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

imageLuckyDad:

They talk about alcohol and getting drunk... a lot. They stick a little girl at gun point into a hole. The hit her. There was a lot wrong with that movie lol.

Also, there wasn't much wrong with Lady and the Tramp. The only thing that bothers me is the dog hitting.

I don't remember the gun or hitting the kid in Rescuers. Huh. Or hitting the dog in Lady and the Tramp. Refresh my memory... Who hit which dog?

image image
  • Options
    imageNana_Osaki06:
    imagejme515:
    imageMintBerryCrunch:

Ah, I see. Carry on then. Wink

• Options
    imageRondackHiker:
    imageNana_Osaki06:
    imageRondackHiker:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

imageLuckyDad:

I don't remember the gun or hitting the kid in Rescuers. Huh. Or hitting the dog in Lady and the Tramp. Refresh my memory... Who hit which dog?

When she handles the little girl she has a rifle that she helps to push her into the cave to get the diamond. Lots of threatening with said rifle too. We only watched it once, but it was alarming when I did watch it. I don't remember it being like that as a kid. 

ETA they also show and talk about Darling hitting Lady over a ball of yarn. Then there was the Siamese cats. Very stereotypical Asian thing going on. Then the muzzle.

• Options
    Pinocchio.
  • Options
    imageNana_Osaki06:
    imagejme515:
    imageMintBerryCrunch:

Yeah, it's the movie that Splash Mountain at Disney World/Disneyland is based upon, with Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear, Brer etc.  

• Options
    LovesMMLovesMM member
    Ariel flashes her tits in The Little Mermaid and the priest gets a boner.
  • Options
    imageNana_Osaki06:
    imageRondackHiker:
    imageNana_Osaki06:
    imageRondackHiker:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

imageLuckyDad:

When she handles the little girl she has a rifle that she helps to push her into the cave to get the diamond. Lots of threatening with said rifle too. We only watched it once, but it was alarming when I did watch it. I don't remember it being like that as a kid. 

ETA they also show and talk about Darling hitting Lady over a ball of yarn. Then there was the Siamese cats. Very stereotypical Asian thing going on. Then the muzzle.

Yeah, dog violence is no bueno. I totally loved the cats when I was little.

Me am Siamese if you plee-ese, Meow!  

• Options
    imagekrptcmschfmkr128:

imagebrittersdamod:
    Pinocchio.

What's so bad about Pinocchio?

I feel like I need to watch these all again. I remember none of these offensive parts.

image image
  • Options
    Ok, apparently it was all the alcohol, drinking, smoking, and mention of moonshine in The Rescuers. On top of all the gun toting little girl abusing crap.
  • Options
    The Aristocats has some raciest stuff too...the alley cats are all different races, the asian one is the worst though...siamese cat like lady and the tramp, but he plays the piano with chop sticks and says things like "shanghi kung fu egg foo yung, fortune cookie always wrong."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kj07kj07 member
    imageMoidonna:

imagemorgann2010:
    Watership Down. Everything about that movie, WTF?

That's based on a book though, right?  I haven't read it or seen the movie though.

I had to read the book in 8th grade and loathed it.  It was horrid to trudge through!

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Options
    kmm2150kmm2150 member
    My mom taught kindergarten and one year rented this little harmless looking "classic holiday cartoon." she puts it on and it's the most racist thing ever basically Santa goes around the world getting very stereotypical kids to come back and work at the north pole. It was awful! I think it was from the 40s.
    imageimage
  • Options
    imagekrptcmschfmkr128:
    imageRondackHiker:
    imagekrptcmschfmkr128:

imagebrittersdamod:
    Pinocchio.

What's so bad about Pinocchio?

I feel like I need to watch these all again. I remember none of these offensive parts.

Ditto. I remember some, vaguely, but not all.

when the boys are taken to that island, or whatever, they're all drinking booze and smoking cigars before being turned into 'jackasses'

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Pinocchio is just ridiculous. It was written by an Italian guy who didn't like children. Although, it's not like Disney didn't manage to sanitize other fairy tales.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Options

imageLuckyDad:
    Pinocchio is just ridiculous. It was written by an Italian guy who didn't like children. Although, it's not like Disney didn't manage to sanitize other fairy tales.

Tell us how you really feel about Pinocchio, LD.  

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Options

When I was a kid, I got to watch all the Porky's movies if I wasn't a jerk (aka - kept my room clean, did chores, was awesome).  I saw those movies a LOT.  Smile

Wait, is that not what we're talking about?

• Options

DD and I were watching Dumbo the other day and I seriously think we got the movie down to 30 minutes after fast forwarding thru all the sad/scary/bizarre parts. 

It went something like this: Oh look Char she got a baby watch 5 minutes, FF oh he's sad right now cause his mommy's in trouble (listen to Baby Mine and look at animals),  FF to him in the tree watch crows and him learn to fly (yes they were totally in appropriate but also somthing DD doesn't get at 3), watch him kick the clown's butts and yay it's the end he's got his mommy again. 

As for inappropriate stuff I won't buy Pinnochio, DD's got a shirt with Figero the ccat on it and wants to watch his movie and I'm like hell no that movie is creepy as hell.

• Options

imagemorgann2010:
    Watership Down. Everything about that movie, WTF?

Having read the book that's not terribly suprising.  The book is pretty f'ed up and sad so I don't see the movie being exactly kid appropriate.

• Options

I'll never forget when my friend showed me his sister's original VHS cover of the Little Mermaid.  Disney, you hornball.

• Options

Not exactly on topic, but I was reminiscing about The Last Unicorn last night - which was my most favorite of all the movies as a kid. Looking back, I started to love that movie at way too young an age.

Nothing offensive, I don't think - but dude, it's so heavy and dark. I realized this when I started internally reciting Angela Lansbury's character's monologue about the Harpy

"Oh, she'll kill me one day or another. But she'll always remember that I caught her. That I held her. That's my immortality!"

6 year old BlueRidge8:

• Options
    imageBlueRidge8:
    Not exactly on topic, but I was reminiscing about The Last Unicorn last night which was my most favorite of all the movies as a kid. Looking back, I started to love that movie at way too young an age. Nothing offensive, I don't think but dude, it's so heavy and dark. I realized this when I started internally reciting Angela Lansbury's character's monologue about the Harpy"Oh, she'll kill me one day or another. But she'll always remember that I caught her. That I held her. That's my immortality!"6 year old BlueRidge8: nbsp;

I loved that movie and this made me LOL.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"