Baby Names

Naming children with the same Initial?

Our first son is named Lewis Alastair B..man, and we are thinking of naming our second son Logan Carter B...man, do you think that having two boys with the same initial would be an issue?

Also What are people's thoughts on Logan Carter, the middle name is my maiden name, so we are 100% set on that, but we are only about 90% on the first name due to the initials and it being quite popular.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 7.11.11 - Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 29.8.13 - Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. 

Re: Naming children with the same Initial?

• Personally, I don't like kids having the same first initial.  I think it sets up a bad standard.  I think it's less of an issue if you only have 2, but I think it's weird to have 2 with the same initial and the third with a different, but also weird to have 3 with the same initial.

I don't have anything against Logan Carter, but I don't love Logan.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • NNGnomeNNGnome member

Sorry I didn't mention, we are two and done, so there won't be a third L name.

Also, if you don't like Logan, what other names do you think would go with Carter?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 7.11.11 - Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 29.8.13 - Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. 

• Loading the player...
  • I love it- I know dozens of families with two kids with the same initials- what is the big deal? And I love Logan.
  • Really, I don't think it's a problem. We have an "E" DS and if we have a girl, we have chosen another e name. But as pp said, it's really only ok for up to two IMO. I love Logan (it's DS's mn) and think it pairs nicely with Carter.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • fish000fish000 member

I have the same issue, I am drawn to A names. But I can't bring myself to have two A babies. I think it feels pretentious or just plain naff.

How about Noah Carter, Jonah Carter, Elliot Carter.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I must be in the minority here but I like them having the same initials. 

DS1 & D2 both have the same matching initials but very different sounding first and middle names.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been having this internal debate, because My 2 girls are Piper & Violet, and two names I like for a girl are Penelope & Valerie. Either way, doubling up on an initial.
    Rainbow baby due in September!
    .image
    May Siggy Challenge - Favorite Onscreen Mom
    image  image
  • imageNNGnome:

Sorry I didn't mention, we are two and done, so there won't be a third L name.

Also, if you don't like Logan, what other names do you think would go with Carter?

I think Carter works really well as a middle name for a lot of names.  I know a Carter John, but I think John Carter works even better.

If you like the -n sound of Logan, similar names I prefer are Ethan, Evan Griffin, Nathan, and Owen and they all work well with Carter.  (This also gives you a kind of feel for names I do like, which might help you determine if my opinion holds any weight.  If you hate all these names, you should probably ignore my advice!)
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't think it's a problem. I think Lewis and Logan sound great.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTGP March Siggy Challenge
  • lisamoelisamoe member

I don't think it's a big deal at all.

That being said, we've considered a name for this LO starting with "A" like DSs name.

My only issue with it, is I feel like if I have a 3rd I wouldn't know wether or not to continue with the same initials.

I think Logan Carter sounds nice.

• They'll be a slight hassle over mail being addressed to Mr L Surname, as they get older, but not the end of the world.

I say this because my brother and sister have the same initial so often post would arrive for J Surname, and we'd guess who it was for...but like I say not a big deal. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• BLPL101BLPL101 member
    I think 2 is fine. 3 or more is a bit much though.

BabyFruit Ticker

• cmw&tdmcmw&tdm member
    I don't mind two with the same initials but I do think Logan is not the best match with Lewis Alastair love both these names btw ... I have an Alastair. Have you considered Lachlan? I think Lewis Alastair and Lachlan Carter are a good match. I think any of the more traditional boys' names such as James or another Scottish name would work well.
  • BethPSUBethPSU member

I don't care for matchy sibsets and in general I try to avoid it. We considered Benjamin for DS#1 but with DH and I both having B first names we nixed it. 

I really like Lewis, but I feel like Logan is soft in comparison. Have you considered Carter as the FN? I like Carter better than Logan.  

• imagesuperspecialsnowflake:
    I'm completely fine with sibsets with the same first initial.nbsp; I happen to think Logan and Lewis go just fine together. I like Logan Carter.nbsp;

My thoughts too.
    But I love the name Logan! I wish I could get my husband on board..
  • My SS and DS both have SLG as their initials. Totally not planned. In fact, we hadn't even realized it until a few weeks before DS was born when SD, who is BRG, wrote SLG down, her brother's initials, and my DH was in shock that she knew her new baby brother's initials because we hadn't shared his name with anyone. That's when we realized they would both have the same initials. No biggie. I once thought it would be weird to have two kids with the same first initial and a third that is different but we like DS' name too much to care. We don't use initials for anything other than school supplies anyways and SS is too old for us to need to put initials on his belongings as he is responsible enough for them and DS is a ways away from being in school yet. Lol

I quite like Logan Carter but I think the style is very different from Lewis Alistair. If that doesn't bother you, go for it!
    Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • imagelisamoe:

I don't think it's a big deal at all.

That being said, we've considered a name for this LO starting with "A" like DSs name.

My only issue with it, is I feel like if I have a 3rd I wouldn't know wether or not to continue with the same initials.

I think Logan Carter sounds nice.

This. I think it's fine for two and done and I think Lewis and Logan sound great together, and both FN/MN combos sound great.

But if there's a chance you'll ever want another one (or have a surprize baby #3) I think it might be kind of weird to have Lewis, Logan, and Mathew (for example). I have a fairly distant relative that named her first two children R names just because she liked them both, and then felt compelled to name the next one an R name. Then the next one...long story short, she now has 8 kids with R names.

Suprise BFP: 8/17/11 (previous relationship)
    Natural m/c: 10/17/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Me (Katie)
    DX:PCOS
    DH (Adam
    Married 10/11/12
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 since 3/12
  • I don't mind it so much.  My sister and I both have "J" names (both family names).  There are only two of us so it didn't seem like a "theme".

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• imagesweetann1:
    I love it- I know dozens of families with two kids with the same initials- what is the big deal? And I love Logan.

This.  My brother and I have the same first initial and I think it actually went well together. 

Anniversary 
  • If you happen to love two names with the same first initial, no big deal.  If you name your first kid and then only even think about names with the same initial for the second kid, I think that is weird.

I love the name Logan.  The only reason it didn't make our short list is because of its popularity.  I also like Carter, and I really like the tradition of giving a son the mom's maiden name for a middle name. 

• imagemeganandchase:

If you happen to love two names with the same first initial, no big deal.  If you name your first kid and then only even think about names with the same initial for the second kid, I think that is weird.

I love the name Logan.  The only reason it didn't make our short list is because of its popularity.  I also like Carter, and I really like the tradition of giving a son the mom's maiden name for a middle name. 

Just wanted to add, that my middle name (Sherry) is my mom's maiden name. She has 5 sisters and only one brother that never had kids. I love being able to carry the name down through my middle name.

Me (Katie)
    DH (Adam
    Married 10/11/12
    TTC #1 since 3/12
  • imagemeganandchase:

If you happen to love two names with the same first initial, no big deal.  If you name your first kid and then only even think about names with the same initial for the second kid, I think that is weird.

Just wanted to add, that my middle name (Sherry) is my mom's maiden name. She has 5 sisters and only one brother that never had kids. I love being able to carry the name down through my middle name.

Me (Katie)
    DH (Adam
    Married 10/11/12
    TTC #1 since 3/12
  • imagemeganandchase:

Just wanted to add, that my middle name (Sherry) is my mom's maiden name. She has 5 sisters and only one brother that never had kids. I love being able to carry the name down through my middle name. So I love that you're considering doing that for your son. Plus I love the name Carter anyways.

Me (Katie)
    DH (Adam
    Married 10/11/12
    TTC #1 since 3/12
  • NNGnomeNNGnome member
    imageBethPSU:

I don't care for matchy sibsets and in general I try to avoid it. We considered Benjamin for DS#1 but with DH and I both having B first names we nixed it. 

I really like Lewis, but I feel like Logan is soft in comparison. Have you considered Carter as the FN? I like Carter better than Logan.  

I like Carter as a first name better too, but DH doesn't want it as a first name as he thinks he will be teased at school Sad.

• NNGnomeNNGnome member

Thank you for all your replies, most of the names you have given as examples of other names have been shot down by DH already Sad, Logan was definitely not chosen because it started with an L, it was the only other name we could both agree we liked.

I will try the other suggestions though, see where it gets us, otherwise Logan Carter it is Smile

• imageachelray4:

My siblings and I all have the same first initial. There are three of us. None of our names sound alike and we never had a problem with it.

This is true for us as well. It also made it easy for monogramming. Everything was J.LastName and could easily be handed down. 

I did not set out to have three girls w/M first names, but now it works! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • I don't really like it when siblings have the same first initial but to each her own!  A lot of my cousins had the same first initial as me and my family is always mixing up our names.  Still.  
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"