3rd Trimester

What are you getting?

What are you getting for your baby to sleep in once they are born? I hear bassinets are a waste so I was going to get a pack n play with the bassinet part and have her sleep in that...and actually I originally wanted the full size Arms Reach but BRU only has the mini..the ooriginal has to be ordered online. Which are you going with?
Also she'll be in mine and Hubby's room

EDIT: I wanted to add that we already have her regular size crib..is there a reason a newborn can't sleep in it? I rarely hear of parents using them for a newborn...why?

Re: What are you getting?

• Bassinet. In my personal opinion I think PnP are a waste of money, but that's just me-

• we share our room with the baby, crib is on other side of room, and for long feedings I plan on putting a rock n play next to the bed so I don't have to keep on getting up. 
    Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We're getting a PnP for when we go visit my parents or ILs, so we'll set it up in our room for the first few weeks until she starts sleeping in her crib.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We had a mini co-sleeper for DS1 at the beginning (ended up bed sharing not long after his birth), and we side-carred a crib for the twins. 

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • The PNP with the bassinet is a great option. We probably would have used ours, but we kept our PNP downstairs, primarily for its changing table, for months. But we got an inexpensive bassinet from Craigslist that has a removable side panel so it can be used like a cosleeper. I think we paid $20 for it. It worked out great for DD, and we plan to use it again. DD was only in our room for 4 weeks though--we plan to do the same with baby #2. Then we'll probably resell the bassinet on CL for $10-15. :)

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• jlpevjlpev member
    I used a pnp for a week with DS and decided to move him to his crib. I couldn't sleep with him in our room. He was a loud sleeper.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • RNP or his crib (which is in our room.)
  • I bought a fisher price rock n play. I can't wait to use it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

I'm going to school to become a midwife! 
    You can follow my journey here: http://midwife101.wordpress.com
  • Rock n Play for a few months, then the crib.

Newborns can sleep in the crib. It's just personal preference really. DD slept in her crib from day 1. But we live in a two bedroom house (DD and DS will share a room), and I don't want to disturb DD with constant night feedings and changings, so we'll be keeping the baby with us until he's STTN. 

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • We are going to get a co bed sleeper and he will go in the middle of us.
    imageimageimageimage

• A friend of ours gave us a bassinet :) so we're going to use that until he is too big for it...then since we have a play pen we'll use that until we get a crib.

imageimageimage

• There's no reason baby can't sleep in the crib.  It's a matter of preference.  Personally we got a PNP with DS1 because our apartment didn't have central air and I wanted him in our room, which we kept a little cooler (summer baby) and we moved him to his room in September.  The PNP got used in the living room after that as a way to safely contain him while I peed or whatever and after that it got turned into a ball pit :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• ehnastoehnasto member

I have all 3 (a bassinett, a pnp and a crib). I would not have a bassinett if it wasn't for the fact that it was free from my mom (she gave me the one she used for myself and my sister). The bassinett will take up residancy at my sisters house once LO is about 2 months old since she too is prgo.

I got a PNP because I have a 2 story house and running up and down the stairs to put LO down and get him up, especially in the first couple of weeks, would be very difficult.

• llsarmyllsarmy member
    My kids have always gone right into the crib in there room. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • EmR22EmR22 member
    We tried a bassinet for our 3rd in our room but that didn't last long. Every breath, snort, sound woke us up and no one slept. Our 4th will be in his crib in his room. He'll let us know when he's hungry. The one down side to bassinets are the weight limit. Some are only 12-15 pounds which depending on your kid could come in a few months, so I advise paying attention to that. You don't want to spend a ton for 2 months worth of use.
  • imagellsarmy:
    My kids have always gone right into the crib in there room. 

Pretty close here too.  Once DH went back to work the girls went to the crib.  I like to have a little light while we're still figuring out the BF/latching thing and it woke DH too much.  And like PP said, babies are loud sleepers.  With DH on one side and DD on the other I was getting the noise in stereo.

Kept the bassinet in our room for my showers, putting away laundry, etc. instead of moving the bouncy seat through the house.

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have the arms reach mini co-sleeper/side car.

I think I'll be a paranoid FTM always wanting to check on him plus all the research I read about room sharing reducing the risk of SIDs.

I'll be BFing and don't want to have to walk to another room to feed him plus we're tight on space right now in a one bedroom.

I'm excited to have my little peanut right next to me when I sleep!

<leader of the pack small photo leaderofthepacksmall_zps19d110a4.jpg photo r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Honestly, we aren't paying for any of the sleeping things we will be getting. One mother at my niece and nephew's school is giving me her crib, another gave me her bassinet and portable crib, and my parents have a hanging bassinet that we've always had around for when there were babies in the house (babysitting or otherwise) that has always worked wonders for fussy babies. Soooo Lol While we're at my parents for the first few weeks, the crib will be in the nursery, the hanging bassinet will be in our room, the portable crib will probably be staying at my in-laws, and I have no idea what to do with the other bassinet O.O
    Married 12.20.2010
    BFP#1: 11.22.2012 EDD: 7.22.2013 DS Born 7.24.2013
    BFP#2: 11.26.2014 EDD: 7.25.2015 *chemical confirmed 12.08.14*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was wondering the same thing. I am planning to have our LO in his crib from the start, but was wondering if I was missing something as a FTM since very few people seem to do so. Glad to hear it's just a personal preference sort of thing.
    Anniversary

• We bought a pack and play, an arm's reach co-sleeper and a full size crib. I want the baby in our room simply to be in closer proximity when breastfeeding.
    Pregnancy Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Our LO is going to use her regular crib in her room right next to our room. I don't want to start the habit of her getting use to sleeping with us. Plus, hubby gets up before 4 am T-Th for work and I don't want him waking her. We have a play yard to use when we travel and also my hubby's cradle from when he was a baby which will probably be her napping place in the living room. We have a video monitor for my peace of mind when she's snoozing in her crib.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • We set up the PNP with basinett for DD but didn't even make it through the first night. She took a good nap in her crib the second day we were home and from that point on she slept in her crib at night. DD was on a pretty regular schedule after just a few nights - asleep around 10 pm then  feedings at 1 am and 4 am so it's not like I was up and down all night long. By 8 weeks she would sleep from 10 pm - 6 am in her crib. We do have a smallish 1-story house and with our door and DD's door open, I was probably only 10 steps away from her.

With the twins we are planning on putting them in cribs from the start.

6 year old daughter

Fraternal boys born on May 11, 2013 at 36 weeks 4 days

• imagedaniellelea1985:

I have the arms reach mini co-sleeper/side car.

I think I'll be a paranoid FTM always wanting to check on him plus all the research I read about room sharing reducing the risk of SIDs.

I'll be BFing and don't want to have to walk to another room to feed 

This. 

Married 07.07.12
    BFP #1 EDD 06.04.13
    Beta #1: 20,560 @ 20DPO, Beta #2: 37,945 @ 22DPO
    U/S #1: 4w6d - too early to see baby, U/S #2: 6w2d - we saw the heartbeat!
    *So thankful to God for blessing us with this miracle*

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We're using our PNP w/ bassinet feature in our room for the first couple of weeks. It's just so that we can keep LO closer to us at night for peace of mind/convenience.

We moved DS1 to his crib at 5 weeks. We'll probably do the same (or sooner) with this one.

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS slept in our room in the bassinet portion of a travel pack n play. We'll do the same thing this time around. We never used the PNP for any other purpose once DS was in his own room. There isn't anything wrong with using a crib for a newborn, I just think that a lot of people have their babies in the room with them in the beginning.
    "You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
  • h2babeh2babe member
    I am using the arms co sleeper at first and then crib for when he is a little oldet. I also have 2 PNP for the main floor and the basement.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy food blog: Blissfully Delicious BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm using an Arms Reach Co Sleeper. I will be bf'ing and Im having a RCS. Plus the Arms Reach they can stay in longer then a bassinet. I think it all depends om what your plan is for baby.
    I was considering a rock in play but after reading up on it and asking my pedi they say do NOT use Rock N Plays for night time use. An infant needs to sleep flat on their back with a firm mattress. Several reasons why. So my Rock N Play will stay downstairs just for naps. My pedi said for short periods of time they are fine sleeping in it just like a swing.
  • We had a crib for our first, and for children 2 and 3 (and now 4) we skipped the crib all together. Our kids slept in pnp bassinett until they were too big, then they moved to the bottom of the pnp until they started climbing  out (all three of our children climbed out of the crib/pnp before a year.)and then we moved them to a bed with the 'gate' you can buy at Target or Walmart.

• I got a pack n play with the bassinet and changer adjacent to each other. It will be set up right next to the bed. That way I will have everything I need when I wake with her throughout the night. We don't live close to our families, so it will come in handy when we travel too!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • WhitWedWhitWed member
    We used the crib to start until we found out rather quickly that DD had reflux. Then we rushed out to buy a Rock n Play and never looked back.  I loved it!  Once her reflux was tame around 3 months, we switched her back to the crib and had no issues.  I also loved having her right next to me while we all slept so I could just open my eyes and see her.  So my recommendation is a RnP over a PnP or bassinet. We never used a bassinet that was given to us and we hardly used our PnP except to hold toys to keep the house looking somewhat clean. Friends and family who had children after us bought RnP's and them for a sleepers even though their children don't have reflux.
  • We now have a arms reach co-sleeper to make life easier once baby is weaned and older he'll move to a regular bed with his big brother in the same room until then he will sleep in mommy and daddy's room
  • We have a basic Pack n Play with the full size bassinet.  We'll use that from birth until we move into our permanent house.  Then the Pack n Play will go to my parent's house for use over there and he'll go into his crib in his own room.
  • Our son will be in a Kanoe Baby Hammock next to our bed. We don't do cribs and my first wouldn't sleep flat as a newborn anyway. The Kanoe can be elevated and provides movement.
  • We used the pnp with the bassinet portion for 8 weeks and then put her in the crib, which is what we plan to do this time around. I think a bassinet is a waste since it has limited use, at least a pnp can be used for travel or as a play pen
  • We got the Arms Reach full size on craigslist. It was barely used and I preferred it over any PNP that I saw. The Arms Reach mini is basically like a bassinet. We've taken ours on short trips and to grandma's house and we plan on using it for #2.

You can definitely have your LO sleep in the crib...whether your baby will want to sleep in the crib right away is another matter. We used a First Years Close and Secure Sleeper which lays on your mattress with you. That worked for about 9 weeks or so but he slept there which was nice. It took him awhile adjusting to a bigger space of his own.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• We got the Arm's Reach Mini Cosleeper. We want him to room in with us for a few months, and setting a crib in our bedroom to be taken apart and moved to the nursery later would be ridiculous.
    BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We are borrowing a bassinet from a friend, I would not have spent the money on one because they have such a limited use. If we didn't have this option I probably would have set up a PnP in our room. You can put your baby in their crib from day 1 and I have a friend who did this. I decided that at least for the first couple of weeks I don't want to worry about walking down the hall to LO's room to do middle of the night feedings, it would just be more convenient if they can sleep in our room. I think this is usually the reason people don't use the crib right at the beginning.

• We have a Chicco Lullaby Playard with the bassinet part.  We travel a ton so having something that can travel with us is nice.  It's actually what we are getting to replace the crib completely.  The nursery is only a 5 foot by 7 foot space and the way it's set up there wasn't a way to fit a crib in there. 

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• LO is going in her crib from day one. We have an Angel Care monitor with the movement sensor and she will be one room away.

If she was going to be sleeping in our room, I would use the PnP. If you want to get a co-sleeper or bassinet, I would find one on Craigslist or a baby resale shop. Babies only sleep in it for a very short time so most of the time, they are in very good shape when you buy them used. 

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"