Dads & Dads-to-be

5 Thing Thursday

Here we go.

1) With the mention of roller coasters in a prior post, what is the best roller coaster you've ever riden?  What style is it (wood, steel, inverted, dark, etc.)?  Park it is located at?  If you want to go nuts and list your favorite of each type, knock yourself out.  If you don't care for coasters... best ride in general.

2-5 are you guys.

Re: 5 Thing Thursday

• 1) With the mention of roller coasters in a prior post, what is the best roller coaster you've ever riden?  What style is it (wood, steel, inverted, dark, etc.)?  Park it is located at?  If you want to go nuts and list your favorite of each type, knock yourself out.  If you don't care for coasters... best ride in general.

Best wood coaster:  The Beast (Kings Island)

Best steel: Millenium Force (Cedar Point)

Inverted: Raptor (Cedar Point)

"Flying" style (seats recline into a horizontal position): The Manta (Sea World, Orlando, FL)

Dark coaster: Space Mountain (Disney World)

2) My youngest is getting to the stage where the smiles are starting to come out, I almost forgot how awesome those first smiles are.

3) My oldest is full on into his terrible two phase.  He can be an absolute joy one moment and then a complete holy terror the next.  He listens like a brick wall at times (though I believe this will probably never change) and other times is just outright defiant.  It can definitely try your patience, but fortunately, those instances typically come when he's getting tired.

4) I love my kids, but I'm ready for a night off.  Just drop them off at my parents for the evening and be able to go out or just do nothing at all.  We haven't had a kid free night since the weekend before our youngest was born. I don't have a bowling night, or any night where I leave and do something.

5) I mowed my lawn for the first time Friday and by yesterday, it looked like a jungle again.  That is the one thing about home ownership that I simply don't care that much for... the lawn mowing.  The lawn is small enough where a riding mower seems unnecessary, but is big enough it takes 45 minutes or so to do with the powered push mower.

• 1.  Top 5 coasters (Sorry this is so long.  I'm a coaster fanatic):

El Toro (Six Flags Great Adventure, NJ)- Best coaster I've ever been on.  Wooden coaster that rides as smooth as steel.  Great ejector airtime.

Maverick (Cedar Point, OH)- Beyond vertical drop, magnetic launch out of a tunnel, all along Lake Erie.  My favorite steel coaster.

Hades (Mt. Olympus, WI)- The worlds longest underground tunnel which spans the parking lot.  Crazy wooden coaster in the Wisconsin Dells.  They're even adding a barrel roll this year.

The Beast (Kings Island, OH)- Still the best night rides.  Complete darkness in the woods.

Phoenix (Knoebels, PA)- Great wooden coaster in an amazing family-owned park in the mountains of Pennsylvania.

2.  The flooring in the nursery is done and we are installing the trim this weekend.  Once that's done all we have to do is furnish the room.

3.  June 29th is my Tough Mudder event in Michigan.  I'm feeling pretty stressed about it because I've fallen off the workout wagon recently.  I need to get my arse in gear otherwise the 11 mile course is going to wreck me.

4.  I think I mentioned last week that I hate my yard?  Well I do.  The damn thistles are evil.  Ground clear doesn't even get rid of them completely.  Frustrated.

5.  It's hard to believe the 2nd trimester is almost done for us.  The 1st just seemed to drag and this one is flying by.   

• Loading the player...
  • PrimePrime member

1) With the mention of roller coasters in a prior post, what is the best roller coaster you've ever riden?  What style is it (wood, steel, inverted, dark, etc.)?  Park it is located at?  If you want to go nuts and list your favorite of each type, knock yourself out.  If you don't care for coasters... best ride in general.

My favorite coaster is the Raptor at Cedar Point.  It was my first inverted coaster so it holds a special place in my coaster heart.

2) We have another appointment this afternoon.  Wife is hoping for some kind of progress.  I think she'll have to stop working after this appointment.  Unfortunately it will mean smaller checks through the end of the school year, but she will be better off at home.

3) Weather has been great for the last few days and it is supposed to stay nice for awhile.  Nice change from all the rain.

4) We just started the process for a refi.  I'm hoping to get enough time outside to spruce up the front yard.  We could benefit from better curb appeal.

5) I'm gearing up for the new season of Arrested Development on Netflix.  I am watching all of the previous seasons again.  I have already finished season 1.

• PrimePrime member
    imagepolooo26:

4) I've mowed 4 times already this year. I don't mind it. I think the weeds get worse and worse each year. We just can't seem to kill them. I think part of the problem is we have a few neighbors that don't even try so it just makes it that much harder.

The guy across the street from us is like this.  I've made some progress, but I feel like I'm fighting  an uphill battle.

• imagepolooo26:
    imagePrime:
    imagepolooo26:

4) I've mowed 4 times already this year. I don't mind it. I think the weeds get worse and worse each year. We just can't seem to kill them. I think part of the problem is we have a few neighbors that don't even try so it just makes it that much harder.

The guy across the street from us is like this.  I've made some progress, but I feel like I'm fighting  an uphill battle.

The guy across the street has a whole yard of dandilions (SP). His backyard looks more yellow than green. Our neighbor to the right is a rental and I can't blame him too much. His landloard is a tightwad. The neighbor to our left is like us. When we moved in their yard looked good, but it's slowly gone downhill.

We bought our house foreclosed back in 2009.  It has been an uphill battle for me dealing with our yard every year.  Whoever owned the property before we did...fluck 'em.

• WulfgarWulfgar member

1) Not a huge coaster lover but the best I rode was the Beast at Kings Island.  I love Kings Island because of the water rides or at least they did have them in the 1980's haven't been in there in over 20 years.

2) I live less than 2 hours from Ceder Point but don't go since they don't have enough non-coaster rides (I get dizzy real easy and don't like coasters in general).

3) Schedule until Father's day: my birthday this Saturday, Mother's day and wife's graduation, LOs birthday early June, then Father's day.

4) My company is having a 100 mile challenge between May 1st and the end of July.

5) Going to Thomas the Train at the local area, I hate crowds so we have to be there at 8:30am to catch the first train at 9:30.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageWulfgar:

1) Not a huge coaster lover but the best I rode was the Beast at Kings Island.  I love Kings Island because of the water rides or at least they did have them in the 1980's haven't been in there in over 20 years.

They got rid of one of the log rides, otherwise they still have the same one's from the 80's.  They also added a water park back in 1989 which is included with the park admission.  I wish Cedar Point would do the same.

• PrimePrime member
    imagepolooo26:
    imageWulfgar:

4) My company is having a 100 mile challenge between May 1st and the end of July.

I never understood these. That's 1.1 miles per day. My company did a marathon in a month. .9 miles per day. I would think it would be harder not to do that than to actually do it.

Are these walking or running challenges?

• PrimePrime member
    We have a pedometer challenge each year, but you set your own goal for daily steps (5000, 7500, 10000, or 12500).  Last year they did a follow-up secondary challenge to reach 1,000,000 steps.

• WulfgarWulfgar member
    For me, I don't wear shoes with laces that often so I couldn't sign up for a pedometer challenge.  The 100 mile challenge is based on actual miles covered through exercise with conversion for zumba and yoga.  Biking 4 miles counts as a mile.  You are only allowed to count 25% of your walking while at work which is good since we have all of our plants involved and some of them could put up large numbers doing this.

• PrimePrime member

imageWulfgar:
    For me, I don't wear shoes with laces that often so I couldn't sign up for a pedometer challenge. 

Do you wear pants?

• WulfgarWulfgar member
    During the summer I wear shorts and depending on the trail I go barefoot.  I am getting my son used to being barefoot outside also at least in the back yard.

• PrimePrime member
    Most pedometers attach to your pants or shirt. Shoes are not required

• WulfgarWulfgar member
    The ones that they gave us are shoelace pedometers so people working on equipment don't have it in their way.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"