January 2013 Moms

When are you going to start with solids?i

I was at my 4th month checkup today and she said that I could start solids whenever I wanted to because now they are saying that starting earlier will help prevent food allergies. She said that the whole debate has been going back and forth through the years so she said do whatever but that she needed to start by six months

when are you going to start and what is your plan??.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When are you going to start with solids?i

• Good question, I was wondering this myself! Anxious to hear responses.
  • jobiannjobiann member
    Per our doctor, we will start rice cereal at 5 months and baby food at 6 months. Neither as a replacement  to  formula,  he  will  still  get the  same  amount  of formula. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • My ped said breast fed babies should not start food until six months so that's where we'll be unless he needs something different. So e kids need food sooner especially ff babies due to vitamin deficiencies but bf babies don't have that since our milk adjusts to what they need she said.
    Six month birthday will be avocado and we'll do sweet potatoes the next day if it all goes well. Starting with vegetables and fruit are much more nutritious than rice and cereals. If you're curious a out what to start with, check out BabyLedWeaning.com or pick up a book written in the last year or so about infant nutrition. The ideals have changed considerably and a lot of old school peds haven't really done a lot of research. It's very interesting stuff. I say that as a human development major and a nerd. Hehehe.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Someone posted an article on this a few weeks ago. It said not to start until 6 months and to go right to the fruits and veggies. I remember seeing a news report on this too that said the latest reports say 6 months. At the end of the day you do what you feel is best. My mom started my brother and I at 4 months and we are both fine! :
  • RaeilyRaeily member
    We're doing BLW but my dr said to try and do EBF for 6 months.
    Anniversary

• imageteds1chic:
    At our 4 month appt our Ped said solids at 6 months and to skip rice cereal/oatmeal. He also said the latest research said to start with meats along with vegs. He said in BF babies, iron levels dip right around 6 months so starting with meat helps correct that. I'm going to wait until 6 months and start with avocado, sweet potatoes, and chicken. I am planning to make my own.

he told you to skip rice cereal all together or that it wasnt necessary for it to be the first food? 

• When we we're in the hospital our LC told us to EBF until 6 months and that we should introduce meat first, then vegetable and fruit last.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Pedis here reccommend to start with pureed fruits (apple, mostly) and veggies (carrots, potatoes, squash...) at 4 months; just as an addition to BM/formula, not as a substitution

I did this with DS and plan to do the same thing with DD 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Starting early does not help prevent allergies. There's also nothing wrong with waiting longer than 6 months.  It's silly that she would set an arbitrary timeline like that.

We'll start at 6 months and when DD is meeting the correct milestones (sitting up unassisted, loss of tongue thrust, shows interest, able to bring food to her mouth, etc.).

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imageteds1chic:
    imagedulcemariamar1:

imageteds1chic:
    At our 4 month appt our Ped said solids at 6 months and to skip rice cereal/oatmeal. He also said the latest research said to start with meats along with vegs. He said in BF babies, iron levels dip right around 6 months so starting with meat helps correct that. I'm going to wait until 6 months and start with avocado, sweet potatoes, and chicken. I am planning to make my own.

he told you to skip rice cereal all together or that it wasnt necessary for it to be the first food? 

He just said it's not necessary since it really has no nutritional value. 

Yes 

I'm impressed with this advice!  All too often you hear of pedis giving poor nutritional advice, especially surrounding the topic of first foods.

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • at our 3.5 month (i don't know why our visits are at the half month, but they are) the dr said that we should start cereal at 6 months....at her 1.5 month the dr had said 4 months...so i guess things changed in 2 months?  granted it was a diff dr, and the one we saw last time is more strict....i take her again tomorrow for her 4.5 month to see yet a diff dr, who apparently is the most lenient one (my boss took her kids there too) so we'll see what he has to say....

i'm anxious to try giving her something other than formula...sometimes when dh and i are eating, it looks like she's looking at our food all jealous and longingly....with those can-i-have-some? eyes.....

but i'm sure i'll start with like, jarred food and such when she can sit up on her own...she's trying though....she wants to sit so bad

• DS will be 4 months on Saturday. He has already been eating cereal an avocado for almost 2 weeks. The AAP says that every baby is different, and it all depends on developmental milestones. DS is able to sit in his highchair and has been holding his head up for over 2 months. He LOVES food. Everyone has different opinions on this topic, even doctors. I am using my own judgement on this issue.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• All these food responses tell me is that there is no solid evidence for any one thing. If there was, all pedis would, for the most part, offer the same advice. Instead, their responses are all over the board. I say do what makes you comfortable since those "in the know" don't even agree!
  • mrsnalamrsnala member

imageNortyLeigh:
    All these food responses tell me is that there is no solid evidence for any one thing. If there was, all pedis would, for the most part, offer the same advice. Instead, their responses are all over the board. I say do what makes you comfortable since those "in the know" don't even agree!

Completely agree with you on this one! 

• imageNortyLeigh:
    All these food responses tell me is that there is no solid evidence for any one thing. If there was, all pedis would, for the most part, offer the same advice. Instead, their responses are all over the board. I say do what makes you comfortable since those "in the know" don't even agree!

This is exactly right. I am a physical assistant who works in pediatrics and everyone I work with has differing opinions. The only thing everyone agrees with is that every baby is different, and will be ready on their own time! The studies that everyone keeps bringing up are from 2011 and say 4 to 6 months depending on the readiness of the baby. You are absolutely correct when you say to do what makes you comfortable. You are NOT harming your baby by giving them food at 4 months, nor are you causing harm by waiting.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• I was told to wait until 6 months because introducing solids too early can cause allergies because baby's gut isn't closed yet. I'll be doing veggies & fruits at 6 months.
  • Every "expert" has different recommendations. There is no right or wrong. 4 months? 6 months? cereal? puree? homemade? store bought? We could debate it endlessly (and I am sure that we will over the next several months), and there will never be a correct answer.

With DS1, we started around 5 months. We started with sweet potatoes (I think). Although we did give baby oatmeal and multigrain cereal occasionally, we did not start with cereals. We also never offered rice cereal for the constipating factor. I made some homemade food, but most was store bought. We used several different brands, some organic and some were not. We used purees for such a short time in the grand scheme of things. He was on full table food (and BM/formula) by 7 months or so.

One bit of advice though for whoever said they were giving avocado one day and something else the next day ... the general rule that most pedis agree on is to stick with one food for a few days to see how the baby reacts. If you give new foods two days in a row, you wouldn't know what one was causing a reaction. (Confession: I wasn't good with the rule after the first month with food, but DS1 never had any reactions.)

• imagethis decaf life:
    I was told to wait until 6 months because introducing solids too early can cause allergies because baby's gut isn't closed yet. I'll be doing veggies & fruits at 6 months.

Same here.   

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• BLPL101BLPL101 member

My pedi said I can start now or wait til 6 months. 6 months is what the AAP recommends. I'm making my own foods and starting with veggies/fruit. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• jobiannjobiann member
    imagemrsnala:

imageNortyLeigh:

I three. Every doctor, every baby, every parent is different. Do it when you feel your baby is ready.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• kimmletkimmlet member
    imageteds1chic:
    imagedulcemariamar1:

imageteds1chic:

My pedi said that cereal at this stage would be just to get him used to using a spoon, not for the nutrition. 

My Blog: Sewing, crafting, motherhood, computers, and random musings... Sleep is for the weak

• we aren't starting until 6 months, possibly 24 weeks since that is technically 6 months, but falls before his actual 6 month birthday
  • 2u2wow2u2wow member

it's personal preference but between 4-6 months is normal. we waited until 6 months with DS1 but are going to go earlier with DS2 maybe 4.5-5 months. 

i'm just debating whether i'll bother with rice cereal or not...might just skip to avocado instead or banana

no reason to just do cereal...

a tip though - if you do cereal and baby hates it...add cinnamon! DS1 LOVED it!

no sugar and totally fine for LO! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At the earliest 6 mos. I can't see my LO being ready any time soon! The only thing heading in that direction is that he watches us eat. He loves the bottle and boob very much still! I'll be watching for his signs of being able to sit, the tongue action , etc.
  • 2u2wow2u2wow member

imageteds1chic:

they'll get enough if not more iron from pureed spinach or beans too 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I do agree that every baby is going to be ready at a different point, but with that said, why wouldn't you err on the side of caution?  I don't think this really makes much difference when you're talking about real food (fruits/veggies/meat), but when you're talking about cereal, giving it too early can have pretty important repercussions to your baby's developing system.  So... since it's not really necessary to feed them solids, why would you rush to do it early when there's no benefit to it, but there could be negatives?  This is a legit question, I'm not trying to be snarky.  I just wonder, what's the rush?

And with that said, it's your baby, I'm not trying to tell people what to do.  I just get the impression that sometimes people don't understand why it's advisable to wait, especially with grains.  

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • We started B on solids this past Sunday per our pedis recommendation. We skipped cereal and went right to veggies. He only gets maybe a few teaspoons each time. He seems to enjoy it :) we also had started DD at 4 months. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Dx MTHFR (C677T & A1298C, Compound Heterozygous)

• imagemrsnala:

imageNortyLeigh:

i completly agree as well. do what you feel comfortable with. i know ive tried giving DS the step 1 bananas and he seems to really like it but it was a tiral run just to see where he was, if he was even close to being ready for regular foods yet. every baby is different.

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I started a brown rice cereal mixture yesterday just to see where she was at. She dosn't seem to be anywhere near ready. This is fine by me, I am not in a rush nor am I going to push it. I will try again when I feel the time is right.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• meganwvmeganwv member
    Interesting, my pediatrician told us today not to until 6 months. She said research shows that early introduction may lead to allergies, obesity, diabetes, etc. I guess it's up to each of us to decide, but I plan on to start after 6 months. 
  • imagesbevmc09:
    imageteds1chic:
    imagedulcemariamar1:

imageteds1chic:

Yes 

I'm impressed with this advice!  All too often you hear of pedis giving poor nutritional advice, especially surrounding the topic of first foods.

completely agree with both of you :)  I also plan to wait till 6 months or more depending on milestones.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"