January 2013 Moms

mini pill and pregnancy

So I just started the mini pill and I'm kind of freaking out.  After reading up on it seems that its not as effective as the regular pill.  1 in 20 women get pregnant if they occasionally forget a pill and 1 in 200 get pregnant even if taking it religiously, and I am sooo not ready to get pregnant again! haha. I'm thinking of totally holding off on sex during when I would be ovulating. Do you think I'm just being paranoid?!?!
BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: mini pill and pregnancy

• No I don't think you're being paranoid. Facts are facts. I opted for condoms instead of the mini pull for those reasons. Having 2 kids means its a lot harder than it used to be for me to take the pill the same time everyday. And with having infrequent sex why bother having to take a daily pill when we can just use the condom when it does happen.
  • My friend got pregnant while taking it. Her daughter was only 5 months old at the time! We are also using condoms.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think you're being paranoid, it's definitely something you need to consider.  If you're looking for a more effective form of B.C. that's also breastfeeding-friendly you might look into IUDs, just FYI :) 

Also, if you're planning to avoid during ovulation you'll need to chart to make sure you're doing it properly.  If you're charting properly + the mini-pill you should definitely be covered in the B.C. department.

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imagesbevmc09:

I don't think you're being paranoid, it's definitely something you need to consider.  If you're looking for a more effective form of B.C. that's also breastfeeding-friendly you might look into IUDs, just FYI :) 

Also, if you're planning to avoid during ovulation you'll need to chart to make sure you're doing it properly.  If you're charting properly + the mini-pill you should definitely be covered in the B.C. department.

I agree, make sure you are charting to determine when you are ovulating.  If I went off the formula for when most women O, my timing would be completely off because I actually O later in my cycle.  

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• If you are bfing more than 50% of the time, the effectiveness of the mini pill is more than 99%.  If you quit bfing or start supplementing, that is when it drops down.  So you really don't have much to worry about if you are ebf.

https://www.birth.com.au/Sex-and-contraception/Minipill

You probably don't ovulate while on it so I think charting would probably be a waste of time. Your cycle probably won't be the same as pre-baby either.  I have been on the mini pill since 6 weeks and haven't had a period, so I know I'm not ovulating at all.

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My OB said she doesn't even recommend it. She said condoms are best!
  • imageWild_flower25:
    If you are bfing more than 50 of the time, the effectiveness of the mini pill is more than 99.nbsp; If you quit bfing or start supplementing, that is when it drops down.nbsp; So you really don't have much to worry about if you are ebf.
    https://www.birth.com.au/Sexandcontraception/Minipill
    You probably don't ovulate while on it so I think charting would probably be a waste of time. Your cycle probably won't be the same as prebaby either.nbsp; I have been on the mini pill since 6 weeks and haven't had a period, so I know I'm not ovulating at all.

That's not true!!!! No period does not mean no ovulation. My son is proof you can ovulate without a period!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagezonagirlie:
    imageWild_flower25:
    If you are bfing more than 50 of the time, the effectiveness of the mini pill is more than 99.nbsp; If you quit bfing or start supplementing, that is when it drops down.nbsp; So you really don't have much to worry about if you are ebf. https://www.birth.com.au/Sexandcontraception/Minipill You probably don't ovulate while on it so I think charting would probably be a waste of time. Your cycle probably won't be the same as prebaby either.nbsp; I have been on the mini pill since 6 weeks and haven't had a period, so I know I'm not ovulating at all.
    That's not true!!!! No period does not mean no ovulation. My son is proof you can ovulate without a period!

Right, I should say a regular period.  Of course you could never get a period because you got KU before it had a chance to come back

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
  • imageWild_flower25:

imagezonagirlie:
    imageWild_flower25:
    If you are bfing more than 50 of the time, the effectiveness of the mini pill is more than 99.nbsp; If you quit bfing or start supplementing, that is when it drops down.nbsp; So you really don't have much to worry about if you are ebf. https://www.birth.com.au/Sexandcontraception/Minipill You probably don't ovulate while on it so I think charting would probably be a waste of time. Your cycle probably won't be the same as prebaby either.nbsp; I have been on the mini pill since 6 weeks and haven't had a period, so I know I'm not ovulating at all.

Right, I should say a regular period.  Of course you could never get a period because you got KU before it had a chance to come back

No. I had four total the year before I conceived my son. I hadn't had a period in over 90 days when I got my bfp at 3 weeks. You can ovulate and not have a cycle. Shedding uterine lining has nothing to do with whether there's an egg. There are women with egg timer perfect cycles who never ovulate. Everyone is different.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagezonagirlie:
    imageWild_flower25:

imagezonagirlie:
    imageWild_flower25:

No. I had four total the year before I conceived my son. I hadn't had a period in over 90 days when I got my bfp at 3 weeks. You can ovulate and not have a cycle. Shedding uterine lining has nothing to do with whether there's an egg. There are women with egg timer perfect cycles who never ovulate. Everyone is different.

Yes, I'm talking about women bfing and on the pill and not getting periods.  Most likely they are not ovulating so charting would not tell them much.  Even charting is not safe because you don't know you've ovulated until its too late.

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
  • imageWild_flower25:
    imagezonagirlie:
    imageWild_flower25:

imagezonagirlie:
    imageWild_flower25:

Yes, I'm talking about women bfing and on the pill and not getting periods.  Most likely they are not ovulating so charting would not tell them much.  Even charting is not safe because you don't know you've ovulated until its too late.

It's true that with charting you don't have confirmation of ovulation until after it happens, but if you're using a sympto-thermal method properly then you'll know when to avoid or use back-up B.C.

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"