November 2012 Moms

Tried solids... Question

We did brown rice cereal a little bit ago. He liked it and cried when I stopped, mostly cause he's exhausted and ready for a bottle in an hour of so. Anyhoo... He kinda sucked it off the spoon... And of course most of it dribbled out. Normal for the first time? I guess I unrealistically expected him to open wide. Haha
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tried solids... Question

• jg1011jg1011 member

It took V about a week to really "get" the spoon thing. We did lots of dribbling that first week.

Now he doesn't miss a single drop! He opens wide and basically sings "mmmmmmm" as he's eating! Lol!

It took about a week and a half to get the consistency the way he likes it.  And my nutty kid...loves the green veggies that most kids spit out! He'd actually prefer to eat food off a spoon than drink a bottle. 

Give it time, he'll get it!  

IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Totally normal. Hallie spit 1/2 of it out for the first few days. LO will learn it soon enough. :D
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks girls! He was so exhausted during it that his eyes were barely open. Tomorrow should be better. Hans. He did like it though!!!
  • abbp23abbp23 member
    W is to the point now that as soon as the spoon is out of his mouth he opens wide and turns his head left and right searching for more! He acts like he is starved. Spoons and tongues are tricky little buggers.
    Missed M/C 11/11/11
    BFP: 3/15/12 EDD: 11/25/12 DOB: 11/12/12
  • We were frustrated with the spoon at first too. He just didn't get it at all for almost a week. I ended up just coming up to him with an empty spoon when he was in his walker, instead of the high chair, and let him chew on it. Then I put a tiny amount of sweet potato on the edge of the spoon and let him chew on it again. I guess I was trying for "no pressure", just chew on this like you do everything else. Once he realized he really liked what was on the spoon, he became much more focused on using it Smile

Anyway, either he was just finally ready, or it worked, I'm not sure which. He has been eating off the spoon ever since. Good luck.

• kb&mbkb&mb member

We are on day 4 or so of cereal twice a day. I combine rice cereal and oatmeal which he seems to like. 

It took him a little bit and quite a mess but now he opens for the spoon. He also loves blowing raspberries now so he sometimes does it when he takes a bite. Messy but funny and super cute. 

• DD was the same way. I think the first couple days on cereal they are really just learning how to use the spoon. We have been doing cereal for a couple of weeks and now she downs it all in a matter of minutes! Good luck with the feeding!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"