Breastfeeding

How long are you planning to EBF?

How long are you planning to EBF?  Pump?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How long are you planning to EBF?

• I'm not sure exactly what you mean by EBF. I breastfed DD1 and DD2 to 6 months before starting solids. Then I breastfed along with solids until we were ready to wean. My minimum goal was 2 years. DD1 was weaned at 3y2m; DD2 was weaned at 2y3m.

I pumped for both girls when I was away from them at work or otherwise. I stopped pumping at work at 12 months both times.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Sorry  I should have just put breast feed.  Mine and dh's familly aren't really into breastfeeding and I'm constantly being asked....They are all concerned that DS will be too old and still be on the breast....
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • pinkyppinkyp member

I plan on EBF for 6 months with pumping while I'm at work, then will introduce solid. After 1 year, I'll cut down the pumping and let her nurse as long as possible.

But right now, my intermediate goal is 3 months. I like making short/smaller goals so that i'd feel good about achieving them :)

• imagelaujam31:
    Sorry nbsp;I should have just put breast feed. nbsp;Mine and dh's familly aren't really into breastfeeding and I'm constantly being asked....They are all concerned that DS will be too old and still be on the breast....

My MIL used to be the same way. I remember once when DD1 was probably 6 months she asked how long I was going to breastfeed. I told her until she self weaned. MIL in a horrified tone, "She could be in kindergarten!" My response, "Yes, she could be." MIL never asked again. I think I was so sure and confident in my response that she had nothing left to say.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I plan on breastfeeding for as long as I can/as long as DS wants. I went in with a goal of one year and anything beyond that would be bonus, but knowing that I would be proud of myself to make it to six months. I'm almost at six months (15 more days!), so we'll be heading up to the year mark.

We will introduce solids at six months.

I will continue to pump at work until one year then we'll see. I'll likely cut the pumping out or back to once a day.

As for family, I don't think a lot of my extended family really gets it either. Two other family members who have also recently had babies did not long-term BF and barely even short-term BF, so my family thinks it's a little weird that I still nurse him at family functions instead of bringing a bottle. I just laugh it off knowing I'm doing what I feel is best for my baby. If I need a convincing reason, I just say that all pumped milk gets saved for when I'm not actually with him.

Proud Doxie Mommy

TTC #1 since Sept. 2009 - DX unexplained IF March 2011 - "Surprise" BFP March 2012
    DS born via c-section 11/17/12
    TTC #2 (or, not TTA) Nov. 2013
    BFP #2 8/22/14, Missed M/C 6w2d, Discovered 7w4d/Official 8w6d, D&C 9/27/14
  • I also return to work in 3 weeks and then summer vacation is 4 weeks later.  DS will have bottles while I'm at work, but after school is over, I don't want to give him bottles all the time.  Over the summer I want to continue to nurse him.  DH likes to feed him too so I think a bottle a day is fine and then if we are not together.  I have a pretty decent stash so far and will be pumping at work.  I would like to not use formula if I can  I'm unsure of our goal.  I started with short term goals too so I don't feel horrible if we don't make it.  Right now my goal is 8 weeks (bc that is when I go back to work)  I keep telling myself that if we need to supplement then that's ok.  But in truth, I don't think I'd be happy with that.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagetheresat858:
    I'm trying to wean off the pump by her first birthday. I would love to bf until she self weans but need a med test...so the plan is to start don't offer/don't refuse in 2w and be down to am and pm by 13mo, and see how it goes from there. AAP recommend bf for at least 1 year and the WHO says 2 if you need ammo to argue w family.

Love that ammo part  :) 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am off work until 10-11 months. I hope to BF til she self weans, and I hope to only have to pump 1-2 times at work (12h shifts) and stop pumping at 12m. I told family I'm following the WHO guidelines of EBF for 6 months and along with solids til 2 years. They didn't bat an eye once I told them it was the official recommendation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Until LO is ready to stop.
    DD #1 Amber Lynn 12/2000, DD #2 Leia Elizabeth 6/2009, DD#3 Aayla Ruth 08/2012. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I plan on going for 1-2 years depending on what DD wants and when we TTC. I would just let her self wean, but I may not be able to tandem (my mom couldn't) and since DH and I are in our early 30's and still want more children, we want to TTC #2 either before DD is 2 or 3.

If I was younger when we started I would try to let her wean herself. We plan to TTC #2 no earlier than DD's 18 month mark to make sure that she can at least have her full year.

Both our families are pro BF, so I wouldn't know what to tell you except stay confident in your choices for your baby and I second using the AAP and WHO recommendations for back-up!

• a13049a13049 member
    I plan on pumping until one year. I have considered stop pumping at that point or just pump once a day. I will continue breastfeeding mornings and evenings until LO self weans. It's what is best for LO and its free. I know people freak out when there is a toddler walking and talking still breastfeeding. I don't bf in public anyways and so I just figure it noone business but ours

• We're still breastfeeding and DS turns 2 in a few days. I have no immediate plans to wean. We'll continue until it doesn't work for us.

I didn't return to work until he was 12 months; I never pumped. 

• My original plan was 6 months.  Once we made it and things were going so well, I tried for 12 months.  And now here we are at 19 months.  We are cutting back (he's down to about 2x per day), but I'm hoping he just weans naturally over the next few months.  We are ready to try for #2 but I sill don't have my period.  I stopped pumping once he turned 1.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I will give BM in some form for as long as I can, but after a year, probably EP only. I will let them have solids as soon as they are ready. For my first dd, that was 4 months :per pedi:, for dd2, she was well into 6 months before she took them. So, that part we'll just see about. But, I will give this one BM from boob, bottle, or sippy until I dry up!
    January 2009: Goodbye TR (13 weeks) February 2010: Welcome DD1! March 2011: Welcome DD2! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • With DD, I BF for a year. I pumped while I was at work. I stopped exactly at a year, which was my goal anyway. I was pregnant at the time, so my supply tanked. I don't think I would have been able to go much longer if her or I wanted. We had no issues transitioning to WCM.

With DS, my goal is again to BF for a year. I am on the fence about trying to go longer; I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I will say that the 2nd time around, I am so much more comfortable with BF and pumping. There was no learning curve for me, so I felt much more comfortable from the start.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • litzo27litzo27 member

foreeeeva.

Just kidding. My goal is 2 years or just beyond (check out the Extended BF thread from yesterday if you want to see some more of the past one year moms). 

And, yes, as PP noted I did start solids at 6 months and cow's milk around 11 months (and DS loves both). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At 12 months, I plan to start stepping down pumping at work and introduce WCM and see how that goes. But I will continue to nurse him when we're together as long as he wants it. The only caveat to that is if we're still up several times a night nursing after a year, I might have to do some night weaning as well as I am really tired!
  • My son is 19 months and we've just started the weaning process by dropping one of his two remaining feeds.  When he stops pointing at my breasts in the morning asking for milk and crying we'll work on dropping the other.

I weaned from the pump at 12 months.  It was much easier.  No crying.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • MSW_721MSW_721 member
    I nursed DS until he weaned right around his 2nd birthday. I stopped pumping at work when he was around 15 months. I have no idea why I kept pumping that long though since he barely drank any of the BM that I sent to daycare in a sippy. I plan to nurse DD until she weans but I'll probably stop pumping when she's a year.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • h2babeh2babe member
    I breastfed my daughter until she was 18 months, but quit pumping at work around 11 months. I had saved enough breast milk that she didn't start whole milk until she was 15 months. I had to stop because I wasn't ovulating and we were ready for #2. I plan to breastfeed for a year with #2.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy food blog: Blissfully Delicious BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not sure how long I will continue to BF DS who is 22 months.  I was thinking of having him self wean but might make a move to do it by the end of the year if he doesn't show any inclination.  I stopped pumping at 1yr.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My main goal is 1 year.  I'll probably continue to BF in morning and night if she wants it, but we want to TTC #2 around then, so I'm not sure how that will affect things.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"