Babies: 0 - 3 Months

sunblock?

Bringing baby to communion sunday and im sure party will be outside as its supposed to be nice out. Hes 3 weeks can i use sunblock and if so what kind?

Re: sunblock?

• My personal opinion is that sunblock (which isn't recommended before 6 months) is always preferable to a burn but at 3 weeks I absolutely would skip it and make sure to keep your baby in the shade.  Their skin is just too sensitive.  When he gets a little older and you're doing your best to keep him in the shade but know he may end up with a little sun exposure, you'll want to look for a sunBLOCK with a physical blocker - the main ingredient should be titanium dioxide or zinc oxide.  But like I said, even though my stance is a little lax, it's not lax enough to slather it on a 3 week old.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• You might want to check with your pedi. I just asked mine about sunblock this morning and he said none until 6 months. He said to keep LO in the shade or covered, long thin clothes to cover, and wide brimmed hats. The concern is about all of the chemicals in sunblock and LO's thin skin. With an almost four year old and summer coming, it's going to be tough to keep LO out if the sun!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with PP, 3 weeks is too early for sunblock. So try and stick to the shade. You could also look for some UV blocking clothes / Moby wrap and a wide brimmed hat to be safe. https://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/961645/protect-your-children-with-uv-blocking-clothing but I don't know if they have it in newborn sizes. 

Your best bet to find them are little kids clothing stores as opposed to stores like walmart) 

• I was told not to use sunblock this summer as my baby will be too small (he is 15 days old now). Could you bring one of those little UV tents for your baby to sit in, or stay in the shade? Otherwise, perhaps you shouldn't bring baby. Bear in mind the time of day also has a bearing on how easily your baby will burn... I would NOT take my baby outside in the middle of the day for long periods of time. Maybe you can keep him in a stroller where he will be under a shade? We have a City Mini and when DS is in it, the shade can basically completely cover him.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"