Stay at Home Moms

What's the consensus...

Is it assumed that babies/children are welcome at baby showers? Or not? Does it depend on if it's a 3 month old vs 2 year old?
DD1: Maya 05/10
DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13

Re: What's the consensus...

• I would assume they are not invited unless their names are on the invitation. DH's family and most of my family do adult only showers.  One of my aunts has 4 daughters and their showers always include female children.

I don't have a problem with kids being at showers but I think it would be really boring for them.   

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• No, I would not assume they are invited or welcome unless specifically invited
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't assume kids are invited, my SD has always been invited along with me, and since the baby was born his presence has been requested too, mainly because they've all been family showers and we all like to nom on each others babies.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Our family, probably.  But, my girls were invited to a family wedding shower in the fall too.

I had a friend who would rather I not attend than bring DD1 when she was 5 months.

• I always assume showers are adult affairs unless the kids are specifically invited. Even then I usually leave them home. The only exception I've made was my cousin's bridal shower a few weeks ago because she hadn't met Andrew and asked that I bring him. 
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My circle of friends usually leaves kids home unless its a baby. I have only ever taken my boys to showers when thy were tiny and needed to nurse often still. I have no desire to take my 2 and 5 year old boys to a shower.
  • I've never been to a baby shower with kids. With the exception of a friend who adopted and her shower was after they brought the baby home because they didn't want one before hand just in case the birth mom backed out. 

That being said, I never assume my child is invited anywhere unless its specifically stated.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Around here, it is assumed they are invited to baby showers and usually bridal showers. Most weddings around here are child friendly as well though.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce."
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Kids are always welcome to everything unless specified in my circle.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I would assume they are not invited.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A nursing baby that is under a year....yes.  Otherwise I would call and ask if it is ok or not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wouldn't ever assume anything...even babies. Unless they're listed on the invite, I assume no.
  • lisamoelisamoe member

I would never assume anyone was invited to anything unless their name is on the invite.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageI Heart The 80s:

This is all fascinating to me.

I went to one baby shower when there were kids. It was chaos. They ran around, screamed...it was annoying. To me, a baby shower is to "shower" the FTM with gifts, friends, food and good times. Toddlers running around trying to unwrap gifts is not cute to me. 

Yes. This is an adult party and kids are annoying not cute if they are not your own. I had my niece at my shower but I specifically requested she come.
  • Kids are welcomed to everything in my family unless specifically stated. If it's a friend or acquaintance, I don't assume DS is invited unless it's stated to bring him.
    January2014 Blog ** Admin to the January 2014 FB group!
  • imageI Heart The 80s:

I went to one baby shower when there were kids. It was chaos. They ran around, screamed...it was annoying. To me, a baby shower is to "shower" the FTM with gifts, friends, food and good times. Toddlers running around trying to unwrap gifts is not cute to me. 

This is me too.  Of course, I would never assume a child was invited anywhere unless specified on the invite. 

• imageI Heart The 80s:

And this point always confuses me.  I have quite literally never been to an adult only baby shower or bridal shower and I have been to a lot as we have a lot of people getting married and having babies in our church.  Keep in mind I have never been to an invite only shower either.  Back to the point, in the probably 50 or more showers I have been too (going back to when I was a child myself) I have never once seen a child try and open the presents.  Nor were they running around bothering everybody else.  Quite honestly you've never been able to tell that they are even there.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• I try to never assume anything.  That said, usually babies and little girls have been at the baby showers I have attended.
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • I don't think it's "weird" for young girls or children to be invited, but they have to, you know, be invited. If they are, fine, but in my circle, they rarely are. I would never presume to bring one of my kids unless they were expressly included.
  • Also, as far as the annoying factor, it depends on the kid. My youngest would be a dream. He'd sit quietly and play with his toys and maybe come whisper to me asking if he could play Angry Birds on my phone. Without question, my oldest would be a nightmare. He's a polite conversationalist, but he's a show-off and he loves an audience. He'd probably be trying to do the Macarena for everyone while the honoree was opening gifts.
  • I always assume no children at showers. 
  • I think if it's a baby who can't crawl, it's not a big deal. Something for other people to hold!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imagenosoup4u:
    I think if it's a baby who can't crawl, it's not a big deal. Something for other people to hold!

See, I think that's nuts. I don't go to a shower to hold other babies...and I LOVE babies. 

• I would say this comes down to your circle of friends. 

If it was a shower for family or a close friend I would probably bring DD (maybe DS depending on what other kids would be there) because they would want me to.  If it was a shower for someone not as close to me I would probably attend alone for a couple of reasons.  

In my circle kids are welcome at things like this, but people don't usually add them to the invite.  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"