July 2013 Moms
Options

S/O Tdap

At my OB appointment today, my doctor told me that he's required to recommend the Tdap booster to every woman in the 3rd trimester--even if she's received the booster in the last year (Which I have. I got the booster in May 2012.) Has this come up with anyone else?

It could be a thing in my state because we are declared in  a pertussis epidemic. I just checked our state's CDC website and it says "All pregnant women should get the Tdap vaccine during each pregnancy, even if you?ve gotten it before."

But my OB told me that he thinks that I should have great immunity having received the booster just a year ago, and he would not personally recommend it and is not at all concerned that I'm at risk. Would you have asked for it again? He will of course administer it at my next visit, if I wish.

DD1: Maya 05/10
DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13

Re: S/O Tdap

• Options
    I just got mine today! DS2 and DS3 were with me, which made for a great opportunity to model some good behaviors and to start a dialogue with them on the importance of immunizations.

I'm unsure when I had my last one, but I'm pretty sure it was not within the last year. If I knew that I was approaching the 1 yr anniversary of my last booster, I would absolutely opt to get it again. Much better safe than sorry.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    This is a new recommendation for pregnant women everywhere. Getting the vaccine while pregnant passes some immunity to your baby. Did your doctor think there was any risk in you getting the booster again? If not, I'd probably go ahead and get it again just to be on the safe side.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Its a recommendation by the CDC as of October 2012.
    "To maximize the maternal antibody response and passive antibody transfer to the infant, optimal timing for Tdap administration is between 27 and 36 weeks gestation. For women not previously vaccinated with Tdap, if Tdap is not administered during pregnancy, Tdap should be administered immediately postpartum...Td and TT vaccines administered during pregnancy have not been shown to harm either the mother or baby/fetus...Transplacental transfer of maternal pertussis antibodies from mother to infant may provide protection against pertussis in early life, before beginning the primary DTaP series. There is evidence of efficient transplacental transfer of pertussis antibodies to infants. The effectiveness of maternal antibodies in preventing infant pertussis is not yet known, but pertussis antibodies can protect against some disease and the severe outcomes that come along with it. And, a woman vaccinated with Tdap vaccine during pregnancy will also herself be protected at time of delivery and will be less likely to transmit pertussis to her newborn infant. By vaccinating a woman with Tdap during pregnancy her infant will gain pertussis antibodies during the most vulnerable time ? before three months of age. However, providing this early immunity may also interfere with the infant?s immune response to DTaP vaccine. The infant?s immune response to DTaP may not be as strong, but the clinical implications may not be significant. The benefits of vaccinating during pregnancy and protecting a newborn outweigh the potential risk of blunting the infant?s response to DTaP vaccine. Since infants are at greatest risk of severe disease and death from pertussis before 3 months of age ? when their immune systems are least developed ? any protection that can be provided is critical. Infants should receive their DTaP vaccines on schedule, starting at 2 months of age."

More here: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pertussis/tdap-pregnancy-hcp.htm 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    OK, I will probably get it again at my next appointment. I think it just threw me off this morning because I was under the impression that the booster would be good for up to 10 years.
    DD1: Maya 05/10
    DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13
  • Options
    I asked my doctor about the vaccine today and she told me that my husband and I needed to go get it: another thing to add to my list...but I would rather be safe than sorry.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I asked my dr about it today and he said they don't give it until right after birth. I am a little disappointed. I wanted my baby to have a little extra protection those first 2 months.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I'm in Oregon so I understand the lack of vax'ers.

At a previous apt, I asked my OB about getting the Tdap in the 3rd tri even though I had the pertussis vax alone in '10 when DS2 was born. He said it isn't a standard of care yet and that he didn't even have it to give me. He said it was totally up to me, I could get it at Walgreen's if I wanted. 

I called my pedi office yesterday to see if they have a recommendation/preference and the nurse I spoke with had no idea this was a thing, didn't know it was recommended by the CDC, and said she would bring it up with their manager. My pedi is out of the office for a few days so I couldn't speak with her.

I'll call back next week to follow up, but mostly the advice I am getting is that I don't need to do it. Both my sons are up to date on their vaccines. 

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Same situation here...got the vaccine in feb 2012, doc thought it would be fine to not get. I see a few docs in my practice so am asking the next one her thoughts on it too.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"