Eco-Friendly Family

Nail Polish

My husband and I are transitioning our lifestyle and trying to be as all natural and organic as possible. With that being said, we are still new to everything that's out there and sometimes fall into old habits.

I'm 30 weeks pregnant. My feet and hands are starting to swell and look, well... gross. I set up an appointment for a mani and pedi and then thought... Hmm... I bet all the chemicals in nail polish can't be good for me or for the baby.

Anyone out there know if this is true and/or if they make "natural" nail polish?

TIA for any ideas...

Re: Nail Polish

• I wouldn't be as worried about nail polish as I would about the chemicals in acrylic nails, etc. Some nail places really stink and I wouldn't go in when pregnant. They do make safer nail polishes though, easiest to find online.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You are right - nail polish is full of chemicals.  If you really feel you need to use it though, look for a nail polish that is "3 Free" which means free of the following 3 chemicals of concern:

Toluene ? A solvent that is used in paint thinners
    Dibutyl Phthalate ? Endocrine disruptors that should be avoided
    Formaldehyde ? A known carcinogen

Check out the following brands of polish that are free of these chemicals and are water based:

• Suncoat
    • Acquarella (rated 1 on the EWG Skin Deep Cosmetic Database)
    • Scotch Naturals

www.healthyhappytot.com - Healthy, non-toxic product recommendations for children from a mom who has really used them!
  • Loading the player...
  • Zoya. It's three free and comes in a billion colors.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Keeki Pure & Simple nail polish is awesome!!  It's water based and when used with the top and base coat, it lasts a really long time - like 2ish weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I use Zoya - it's "5Free" and comes in amazing colors.
    Do you know what toxic chemicals are lurking in your current products? Check them at www.ewg.org. For fantastic skin, body, baby and home products WITHOUT hazardous chemicals, visit www.AvaAndersonMA.com
  • I personally wouldn't set foot in a nail salon while pregnant. The fumes are awful and even if you bring your own color polish they still use lots of their own products.

Like with all other products, check out the environmental working group's recommendations: https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/browse/nail+polish/

I had a bottle of Zoya at home so I used that for my shower in my third trimester but avoided polish for most of the pregnancy.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"