April 2013 Moms

dr says its time for the crib

We had our one month check up this morning and the doctor said that it's time to put the baby in his crib tonight. I'm already anxious about tonight. I'm goin to take a nap so that I won't be exhausted but watching him cry is super stressful.
The Dr reassured that doing it now is going to be a lot easier than waiting til he is older.
Have you made the change to the crib yet? Any tips?

Re: dr says its time for the crib

• That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Many millions of parents keep babies in their room for several months. What reasoning did he give you? Also, four weeks is WAY too young to CIO.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageChicagoBroad26:
    That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Many millions of parents keep babies in their room for several months. What reasoning did he give you? Also, four weeks is WAY too young to CIO.

This. My plan is to keep DS in our room for six months. Then we will transition. 

Lucas 3.5.11
    Tyler 4.23.13
  • Loading the player...
  • DunkinDunkin member

imageChicagoBroad26:
    That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Many millions of parents keep babies in their room for several months. What reasoning did he give you? Also, four weeks is WAY too young to CIO.

This - times 100... way too young.  at 1 month old a newborn NEEDS you.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hhhmm...maybe I find it odd your pedi is telling you where to put your 1 month old to sleep at night.

We made the crib be the daytime napping place and the bassinet in our room the nighttime place. The crib is working great, he will nap in it. At night he won't hardly go down anywhere. He wants to sleep in our arms/on us. So IMO, if you are getting your LO down to sleep anywhere at night, you're doing amazing. At only one month I'm not overly concerned with it yet.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My first daughter slept in her crib from day 1 and it worked best for us and her.  What I did was swaddle her, feed and rock her and put her in the crib.  She did like to have a fan on for noise. 

With that being said, it seems weird to me too for your pedi to say that the baby NEEDS to be in the crib now.  Did they say why?  Also, like other pps have said, even if you baby is in the crib, they can't CIO.  They don't know how to soothe themselves. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ummmm that is not the dr's decision to make. That's totally out of line to insinuate your one month old NEEDS to be in a crib. That's your call as a parent.

Layne-May 6, 2013

Callie-February 14, 2011

• My son hated his bassinet so we moved him to the crib when he was just five days old or so. I always change him , put him in a onesie, swaddle him, and nurse him... He falls asleep while nursing, and I burp him and lay him down. When he wakes up and starts fussing, DH gets him, changes him, re-swaddles him, then I nurse him and put him back down. Are you co-sleeping? Honestly, if he's in a bassinet in you room switching to the crib will probably be nbd... but if he's used to being held and in bed with you, I could see it being a harder transition. My best advice is to swaddle him and try to get him to sleep (nursing, rocking, whatever) before you try to put him down. For us getting him into the crib was easier than I anticipated and we all sleep better because of it. Good luck!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • KovakKovak member
    Hmmm...that's odd. I've talked with a few peds and nurses and they all have said that the baby should be in our room in a bassinet or something similar until at least 4 months. They said that is the safest place for them and reduces the risk of SIDS.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • zzbbzzbb member
    I guess I should give more information. The plan is not to let him cry it out. I'll be soothing and there which is why I need the nap.
    The reason we were told to make the change is because sleeping in our room he is only sleeping about 30 min. at a time. I can't even get him to stay in his bassinet in our room because he starts crying when either of even turns over.
    I asked what to do to get him in his bassinet because I've woke up twice with the covers or my husband's arm on him in our bed. I have tried the swing and he does not like it or the bouncer.
    Dr said that it's not safe in our bed if he is getting covered or smashed and instead of fighting trying to get him in the bassinet that it might be better to try the crib because he may sleep better in his own space and we will eventually have to make that change too. He never suggested letting him cry it out just to try to let him sooth himself If he is just a little fussy and keep soothing him.
  • I don't take parenting advice from my doctor, and where baby sleeps is parenting advice.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • zzbbzzbb member
    imageAngela814:
    I don't take parenting advice from my doctor, and where baby sleeps is parenting advice.

I asked for help. I posted this so I could get suggestions from other mothers who have made the transition....not because I was questioning the doctor.

I know that the baby is not safe on our bed but I have no experience makinh the change.
  • Since when does the pediatrician get to decide where a baby sleeps? You need a new doc, STAT.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• imagezzbb:
    imageAngela814:
    I don't take parenting advice from my doctor, and where baby sleeps is parenting advice.
    I asked for help. I posted this so I could get suggestions from other mothers who have made the transition....not because I was questioning the doctor. I know that the baby is not safe on our bed but I have no experience makinh the change.

Put the baby in the crib and go to him/her when they cry. Rinse and repeat. One month olds are unable to self soothe so they need you. There is no secret to transitioning to the crib. 

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• KrisM86KrisM86 member

You realize you don't have to put him in the crib just because your pedi said so, right? When it comes to where baby sleeps (as long as it's a safe place) you need to do what works for you.

Also, if you do make the move to the crib, that doesn't mean you should let your baby cry it out. The vast majority of babies are not ready to sleep through the night at one month old. If your pediatrician actually said your one month old should be left to cry it out, I'd find a new pediatrician. 

• imagezzbb:
    imageAngela814:

I asked for help. I posted this so I could get suggestions from other mothers who have made the transition....not because I was questioning the doctor.

I know that the baby is not safe on our bed but I have no experience makinh the change.

Sorry your thread went off topic...

My LO is still in our room in the RNP, but we are working on transitions to crib, or anywhere on his back really, during the day. I too am uncomfortable with cosleeping so I feel ya.

Anyway I have had decent luck with a white noise app on my phone, swaddle and patting his chest. I try to put him down either reeeally drowsy or already asleep. Also, my pedi said I could put him to sleep on his belly... Watching him the entire time obviously... And then flip him over gently once he falls asleep. My DS is colicky so he likes pressure on his tummy.

Good luck tonight! Hang in there... I take comfort in the fact that they'll sleep in their bed eventually!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • _
  • imageChicagoBroad26:

I second all of this!! That was very poor advice.
  • We moved #1 to her room at 4-5 weeks, because we wanted her sleeping in her room by the time I went back to work.  At 4-5 weeks, we moved her bassinet into her room up against her crib and did this for a week or so before transitioning her into the actual crib (the crib was quite huge).  Then we would have her take naps in the crib for a couple of days before starting nights.  We didn't do CIO.  But we did have a video monitor that allowed us comfort of knowing she was okay in there at any time.   This arrangement worked out very well for us and gave us some privacy and normalcy (if such thing actually exists as a parent!) by the time I went back to work.  

We plan to attempt the same with our son.  He turns 4 weeks this Friday.  I'll probably start his transition at 6 weeks old, as I return to work at 8 weeks. 

• By the way, we did this on our own thinking, not due to anyone's advice.  If someone had told me to do it, I probably would have said "oh hell no!".  LOL   Again, it worked for us with #1.  It may or may not work well with #2.  We'll see.  And if it doesn't, c'est la vie.  But I did enjoy having my bedroom back, even if there wasn't anything "romantic" happening in there.  It was nice to know we could if we wanted. ;)  LOL  
  • Sounds like when you bedshare, you're putting baby between you and YH? That's generally not safe for infants, as you've learned from experience.

https://safebedsharing.org/safetyguidelines.html 

Check out the guidelines for safe bedsharing. You should do whatever you think is best, and whatever works best for your family. I just don't want you to limit your options unnecessarily :) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • zzbbzzbb member
    imageRunaway22:
    Sounds like when you bedshare, you're putting baby between you and YH? That's generally not safe for infants, as you've learned from experience.https://safebedsharing.org/safetyguidelines.htmlnbsp;Check out the guidelines for safe bedsharing. You should do whatever you think is best, and whatever works best for your family. I just don't want you to limit your options unnecessarily :nbsp;

Thank you. The baby sleeps to my right. I'm not worried about rolling on him. I'm a very light sleeper. My husband on the other hand is not. The baby was under his arm crying when they were in the bed and I was not. That is when I decided I needed to get him to the bassinet before I return to work. So today I asked the Dr his suggestions. He was ok with cobedding but suggested its time to try the crib if cosleeping isn't safe.
  • imagezzbb:
    The baby was under his arm crying when they were in the bed and I was not.  

Indifferent Yikes!  That is too dangerous and scary!  After reading that I'm inclined to agree with your doc about moving to the crib.  Or at least a separate bassinet

"A man walking backwards does not see what lies ahead, only what he is leaving behind."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1-7/22/12 EDD: 4/8/13 It's a Boy!! Born 3/30/13
    BFP #2 2/3/14 EDD: 10/15/14 - My Chart

• With dd1, we transitioned her to her crib in nursery at 5 days old. Like you, we were keeping each other awake all night and we all slept better once she moved. We swaddled her tight, used a white noise machine, and had a video monitor so I could hear her when she woke to go in and feed her. It worked great for us.

The only reason we haven't done the same yet with dd2 is that our temporary house doesn't have an extra room to put her in. When we can move back to our house, hopefully in next few weeks, she'll go right to her crib in nursery.

Good luck!
  • imagezzbb:
    imageAngela814:

Sorry. I hadn't read your update when I posted. The OP made it sound like your pedi told you that you had to put LO in a crib, not that you asked for advice.

I didn't transition to the crib until 3 months with my older girls. At that age they were old enough that I could follow a loose bedtime routine: bath, pajamas, nurse to sleep, place in crib. Rock back to sleep if baby woke up fussing. DD3 is 5 weeks, and we're no where close to being able to do that. We bed share, which I also did with my other two. I'm a very light sleeper now, so I wake up the moment anyone in the bed moves.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • imagezzbb:
    imageRunaway22:
    Sounds like when you bedshare, you're putting baby between you and YH? That's generally not safe for infants, as you've learned from experience.https://safebedsharing.org/safetyguidelines.htmlnbsp;Check out the guidelines for safe bedsharing. You should do whatever you think is best, and whatever works best for your family. I just don't want you to limit your options unnecessarily :nbsp;

Thank you. The baby sleeps to my right. I'm not worried about rolling on him. I'm a very light sleeper. My husband on the other hand is not. The baby was under his arm crying when they were in the bed and I was not. That is when I decided I needed to get him to the bassinet before I return to work. So today I asked the Dr his suggestions. He was ok with cobedding but suggested its time to try the crib if cosleeping isn't safe.

Baby definitely cannot be in the bed without mom. No one else is as in tune to them as we are. My LO does sleep between us sometimes. I alternate breasts and nurse in the side lying position, and its easier for me just to move her from side to side. But I sleep with an arm around her at all times so if DH moves, he touches me first. If I get out of bed, LO gets moved to the bassinet, bouncer, crib, swing, etc.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"