May 2013 Moms

(UPDATE) Membrane Stripping?

If this has been posted before please just post the link and disregard this. I thought I had seen it before but I'm on mobile and can't find it. Has anyone had this done? If so, did it put you into labor or just give you contractions? My MW did this for me today and I am getting contractions but I don't know if this is labor or not. Someone feel free to insert a slapping gif and tell me that I will KNOW when I am in labor. That may be just what I need so I don't get my hopes up! Thanks, ladies!

EDIT: Nothing happening today... I still have about 36 more hours before labor COULD start but right now nothing is going on.  

Re: (UPDATE) Membrane Stripping?

• If it works, you'll be in labor w/in 24 to 48 hours.  It can cause contractions regardless of whether or not they turn into labor.  I'd keep an eye on it and start timing them.  If they get into a pattern, give it an hour to make sure they're steady in that pattern (5 minutes apart, 1 minute long, for 1 hour) before heading into L&D.

Good luck! 

• I had it done yesterday. I was already having contractions so I am not sure if they are worse from the stripping or not. Pretty much just bled a lot and lost my MP. How far apart are your contractions?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • For my sis, she went into labor the next day after a membrane sweep.

My MW was going to do this today to me but I'm closed up tight so she couldn't!

<leader of the pack small photo leaderofthepacksmall_zps19d110a4.jpg photo r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had a sweep done yesterday. Bled all day and had some contractions that never were regular but were much stronger than anything I had experienced before. Today...nothing. Good luck to you!
    26 Months TTC #1: BFP on IUI #3 August 2012

DS born on May 4, 2013 (39w5d)
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

17 Months TTC #2: BFP on IUI #5 September 2015
      Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageJohnsonShmonson:
    I had it done yesterday. I was already having contractions so I am not sure if they are worse from the stripping or not. Pretty much just bled a lot and lost my MP. How far apart are your contractions?

If I go by the cramping they are about 10 min apart... But I'm not sure if those are real contractions or just cramping.
  • imagebotanicalbliss:

If it works, you'll be in labor w/in 24 to 48 hours.  It can cause contractions regardless of whether or not they turn into labor.  I'd keep an eye on it and start timing them.  If they get into a pattern, give it an hour to make sure they're steady in that pattern (5 minutes apart, 1 minute long, for 1 hour) before heading into L&D.

Good luck! 

All of this. I've read that if your body isn't ready to go into labor yet, though, the membrane sweeping won't work.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had 3 with my 2nd baby, the 3rd one made me go in labour ! U just know wen the time is right Hun ! Good luck x
  • I had it done yesterday. Nada. In fact, pretty much all the BH contractions I had been having have stopped since. I feel further from labor than ever.

I am really disappointed.

• I had mine stripped at 40 weeks with DD. I was one centimeter and fifty percent at that point. It hurt like a mother.

I was in labor 12 hours labor.
    IMG_5977lb
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• I opted against it only because I tested positive for GBS. There's a complete lack of data with respect to the risks, if any, of getting stripped with GBS, so that made me uncomfortable.

My doctor did say that in her experience, it almost never works for FTMs and almost always works for STMs.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageKateRN08:
    Had one this morning... Had cramping and lost my mucus plug but the cramping seems to be stopping. I wouldn't call labor and delivery yet if you are only cramping every 10 mins. Wait until it is every 5 or they become actual contractions.

Yeah I don't plan on calling LD until I'm in actual pain. Maybe not the best plan but I figure that will help keep me from calling too early.
  • imageMotherMayEye:
    I had it done yesterday. Nada. In fact, pretty much all the BH contractions I had been having have stopped since. I feel further from labor than ever. I am really disappointed.

I'm really sorry. I can see how that would be extremely frustrating! I hope it starts for you soon.
  • Along these same lines... My MW told me that walking would just make me tired but to have lots of sex instead. My husband doesn't get home from work until after midnight at which time I plan to do whatever necessary to get his sperm inside me. In the meantime, would masterbation do anything? I know orgasms are supposed to help with contractions but would it do anything without sex?
  • Had mine stripped last Tuesday around 44. LO was here by 1 pm on Wednesday.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • Hijacking your post to ask those of you who had your membranes stripped, what did it feel like (in terms of strip/sweep vs internal)?

I believe my OB stripped mine yesterday, my cervical check actually was a bit painful and longer than normal, and he also kind of made a hook shape with his two fingers and moved them in a slow circle.

• imagepaigenicole23:
    Hijacking your post to ask those of you who had your membranes stripped, what did it feel like in terms of strip/sweep vs internal?I believe my OB stripped mine yesterday, my cervical check actually was a bit painful and longer than normal, and he also kind of made a hook shape with his two fingers and moved them in a slow circle.

That sounds like what mine felt like. The best way I can describe it is that it felt like she was massaging my cervix open.
  • image1and1is3:
    imagepaigenicole23:
    Hijacking your post to ask those of you who had your membranes stripped, what did it feel like in terms of strip/sweep vs internal?I believe my OB stripped mine yesterday, my cervical check actually was a bit painful and longer than normal, and he also kind of made a hook shape with his two fingers and moved them in a slow circle.
    That sounds like what mine felt like. The best way I can describe it is that it felt like she was massaging my cervix open.

Thanks, and I wish he would have told me! 

To answer your question (since I believe I did get mine stripped yesterday) I truly thought I was in labor last night-horrible back pain, dull but timeable contractions 5-6 mins apart. I stayed home to see if I could sleep as much as I could, and ended up waking up this morning with everything calmed back down. I have been having brown discharge since saturday, but today have been having a lot more and it has been stringy (tmi sorry). Now I am starting to get a dull back ache and non-timeable contractions again so we will see.

Hopefully the membrane stripping worked for you and you will be holding your LO soon!

• imagepaigenicole23:

Hijacking your post to ask those of you who had your membranes stripped, what did it feel like (in terms of strip/sweep vs internal)?

I believe my OB stripped mine yesterday, my cervical check actually was a bit painful and longer than normal, and he also kind of made a hook shape with his two fingers and moved them in a slow circle.

I have heard of OBs doing this without getting consent. I would have been pretty upset if my OB did this without asking. Yesterday I had that stipulation added to my chart- I am GBS positive and don't know how that could affect the baby (or me, for that matter).

• I had it done Monday afternoon, went for a walk Tuesday night and started losing mucous plug. Losing more today and I also think I am having BH contractions today.

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • im hoping to get mine stripped on friday at my appointment. im in constant pain, my pelvic bones feel like they are breaking. 
  • imagedoctabroccoli:

My doctor did say that in her experience, it almost never works for FTMs and almost always works for STMs.

Interesting, because this was the opposite of my experience. Was in labor with 24 hours the first time. Had it done twice and no labor with baby 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"