Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Should I ask for money?

Hi Ladies,

So I have this acquaintance type person that I guess is a bit more than that as we are sort of forming a friendship (we met through yoga, went walking once and our babies were born on the same day in the same hospital so we visited each other) and now she's asking me to watch her baby as she goes back to work.

I was thinking of maybe watching one or two kids max anyway for some extra cash to pay off student loans, BUT I'm not really excited about having to do it nights and weekends when she works because that's when my husband is actually home and it's nice to be with him etc. 

SO, I think I'm willing to tell her maybe one or two days a week but I don't know how to bring up the subject of money. Does she plan to pay me or expect it to be free? What should I charge? I'm not really close to her and I'm not going to add all that work for free unless it's like 1x month or something. 

What do you think?

(Both our babies are two months)

Pregnancy Ticker Owner & Creator of www.GreatestKidsGames.com

Re: Should I ask for money?

• I personally would decline bc it would be nights. That is the time that I like to have a bedtime routine and then spend some time with my husband.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • You should ask how often and them say the price you'd expect to get. I'd she can't work with your price, then say no. In NO way would I watch anyone for free.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrs MoJoRisin:
    I personally would decline bc it would be nights. That is the time that I like to have a bedtime routine and then spend some time with my husband.

This exactly. My nights and weekends are saved for my family. If you do decide to do it - charge.

• I definitely wouldn't do it nights. Maybe just the weekends because you can still hang with DH... he can take care of your LOs needs too so you don't feel too divided. And for sure charge!
    BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • I would say that you need the evenings for family time. I would offer to be an occasional back up.
  • No way would I watch an infant for free, especially when I have my own infant to worry about. That's crazy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • smfdjosmfdjo member

I think the price depends on how often, the time and where you live.  My friend watches my little once twice a week and no way would I have expected her to do it for free.

I would say to her, please tell me how many days you were thinking and I will give you a price.  If it is dead silent you know she thought it was a volunteer service.  i am guessing though she expects to pay you.

I would only say yes because you said you needed the cash.

• imageAnne Mommy:
    I would say that you need the evenings for family time. I would offer to be an occasional back up.

I think this is what I would do too. And I'd charge. The only way I'd ever watch a baby for free is if it were family or a very close friend. 

PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• at two months you're going to give up family time for extra money to pay off student loans?  I would never do that.  If you do, definitely charge! 
  • The only time I have ever babysat for someone and did not receive money was with a friend of mine. She had two kids and I had one at the time and we had an agreement that I would watch her two for say 2 hours one time and then when I needed a babysitter, she would watch my 1 for four hours.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"