Stay at Home Moms

Does anyone watch children for extra income?

I'm thinking of posting on my neighborhoods Facebook page that I'm available now and over the summer to watch one or two children.  In a way I think it might be good. It might force me out of my frequent ruts and get my house and life in order. It could force me to be a better mom because then I would have to do activities with DD and the children I was watching. Am I nuts? I can't work outside the home because DH has a crazy schedule and works 12 hours. I also have no one who could babysit.I figured this would be a great way to bring in extra for savings or whatever. WDYT? I also don't have a fence so I was worried about how the summer would be. I also have two boys who are about to turn one and DD is 3. I was thinking it might take away from them but the truth is take away from what? I'm in a funky mood this week.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Does anyone watch children for extra income?

• ta78ta78 member

I'm not sure i would with 3 those ages. But if you think you can handle it, then go for it.

I watch a 6 week old, 3-4 days a week. She sleeps pretty much the whole time she is here. And my DD doesn't do much right now either. So I still have plenty of time to do things w DS.  

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• imageBaby0322:
    I'm thinking of posting on my neighborhoods Facebook page that I'm available now and over the summer to watch one or two children.  In a way I think it might be good. It might force me out of my frequent ruts and get my house and life in order. It could force me to be a better mom because then I would have to do activities with DD and the children I was watching. Am I nuts? I can't work outside the home because DH has a crazy schedule and works 12 hours. I also have no one who could babysit.I figured this would be a great way to bring in extra for savings or whatever. WDYT? I also don't have a fence so I was worried about how the summer would be. I also have two boys who are about to turn one and DD is 3. I was thinking it might take away from them but the truth is take away from what? I'm in a funky mood this week.

Sorry, but no. Watching another child/children will not help with this. I watch one extra child and while it works for my family, it is not easy at all. I have had to sacrifice some things I want to accommodate watching this child, and it has certainly not helped me get my house and life in order.

If you are really, truly committed to watching another child, have thought through pros/cons, how it will work for/against your family, and still want to do it, then it can be a good way to bring in some income while staying at home. But if you are just entertaining the idea because you are in a funky mood and want a change, this is not the way to get it.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I watch two siblings, Boy 3yrs and Girl 18mo. I have 5 kids ages 11mo to 9yrs. I've been doing this since the little boy was 6 weeks old. The extra income is nice. It pays for vacations and other fun things that we couldn't afford on DH's income alone. I already do structured things with my kids but watching other kids forces me to be more put together which makes me feel so much better. When I was just a SAHM I would often be in pjs all day with no makeup. I just didn't have a reason to bother. Now that I have other adults in my house on a daily basis I feel like I have to put on real clothes and a little makeup.
  • imagememali26:
    imageBaby0322:

Sorry, but no. Watching another child/children will not help with this. I watch one extra child and while it works for my family, it is not easy at all. I have had to sacrifice some things I want to accommodate watching this child, and it has certainly not helped me get my house and life in order.

If you are really, truly committed to watching another child, have thought through pros/cons, how it will work for/against your family, and still want to do it, then it can be a good way to bring in some income while staying at home. But if you are just entertaining the idea because you are in a funky mood and want a change, this is not the way to get it.

It's mostly because I want to bring in extra income and this is the only idea I can come up with. I also do enjoy children. I'm good at childcare.

• I watch my nephew who is 10 months younger than DD. I watch him every other week, and 1 weekend a month. It isn't a crap ton of money, but it's something extra. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
    Pinterest:misskristina22
    Instagram:misskristina26
  • I would never hire someone to watch my kid if she already had 3 of her own.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagememali26:
    imageBaby0322:
     It might force me out of my frequent ruts and get my house and life in order. It could force me to be a better mom because then I would have to do activities with DD and the children I was watching

Sorry, but no. Watching another child/children will not help with this.

Depending on what OP means by rut it could help. I have more of an incentive to plan crafts and activities in advance. I still did these things with my kids before watching other kids but I didn't feel like I had to do them and they didn't happen as often. Since it's now my job I do. Some of the things we do now are more elaborate too.   I also like that I can't get lax about how my house looks because it's also a place of business. I prefer a very clean house but I didn't have the same motivation to keep it that way before.

• imageamy052006:

"Funky mood" is not what I would look for in a childcare provider.

I get doing this if you have an interest in child care, used to be a teachers, just love kids, whatever. But in this case, no.

This is true but my own children don't see my "funky mood". Everyone gets in a funky mood every now and then.  

• imagediscobelle:

imageQueSyrah:
    I would never hire someone to watch my kid if she already had 3 of her own.

Especially at the ages OP's are.  That's a lot to handle. 

I completely agree. 

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Honestly I don't know that you will find kids to watch with your three young kids. I would never hire someone with three young kids of their own to watch mine. I also think you expecting these children to get you out of a rut is ridiculous.
  • imageAndrewsgal:
    Honestly I don't know that you will find kids to watch with your three young kids. I would never hire someone with three young kids of their own to watch mine. I also think you expecting these children to get you out of a rut is ridiculous.

I think you misunderstood my post or I worded it wrong.  I was pretty much saying that I think it could be good for me.

• I have an almost 1 yr old and watch a 10 yr old and 16 yr old. All I do for the 16 yr old is drive him to his activities. I took this job so I could make some money while taking my son with me. I have THE EASIEST job in the world. No exaggeration, and I still find it a challenge to have my son with me at times.

I'm not looking to judge you but you have 3 kids, I can't imagine taking on a 4th. You should try to exercise to get you out of your rut. That usually helps me. I think you'll find babysitting wont help your current struggles.
  • imageBaby0322:

imageAndrewsgal:
    Honestly I don't know that you will find kids to watch with your three young kids. I would never hire someone with three young kids of their own to watch mine. I also think you expecting these children to get you out of a rut is ridiculous.

I think you misunderstood my post or I worded it wrong.  I was pretty much saying that I think it could be good for me.

But its not about you. It is about the kids you are going to watch. I am sure having three kids as young as yours is very difficult. I don't think adding anymore kids to the mix is fair to your kids or the kids you add.
  • imageamy052006:
    imageBaby0322:

imageAndrewsgal:

No I get it.  What I am saying is that isn't what i would look for in a child care provider -- someone who is using my kids to clear their funk. 

That's not THEE reason but ok. 

• imageASullivan1231:
    I have an almost 1 yr old and watch a 10 yr old and 16 yr old. All I do for the 16 yr old is drive him to his activities. I took this job so I could make some money while taking my son with me. I have THE EASIEST job in the world. No exaggeration, and I still find it a challenge to have my son with me at times. I'm not looking to judge you but you have 3 kids, I can't imagine taking on a 4th. You should try to exercise to get you out of your rut. That usually helps me. I think you'll find babysitting wont help your current struggles.

I'm not trying to babysit TO help struggles. I was just looking at a pro.It's something I"m good at and we could use  the extra income.

• imageASullivan1231:
    I have an almost 1 yr old and watch a 10 yr old and 16 yr old. All I do for the 16 yr old is drive him to his activities. I took this job so I could make some money while taking my son with me. I have THE EASIEST job in the world. No exaggeration, and I still find it a challenge to have my son with me at times. I'm not looking to judge you but you have 3 kids, I can't imagine taking on a 4th. You should try to exercise to get you out of your rut. That usually helps me. I think you'll find babysitting wont help your current struggles.

I do excercise 6 nights a week. I'm not using kids to get me out of a rut or get rid of current struggles.  

• imageLalaMama81:
    So what is THEE reason? Does it just boil down to needing more money? I agree with eighties that you'll be busy enough and with Amy that I wouldn't want an overwhelmed funkiefied mother of three watching my kids.

It's something I"m good at and we could use the extra money. I would not just babysit to "get out of a rut". I was looking at pros to it , that is all. I think everyone misunderstood. But, anyhoo that is the reason. Good at it and could use the extra income.  

• imageLalaMama81:
    So what is THEE reason? Does it just boil down to needing more money? I agree with eighties that you'll be busy enough and with Amy that I wouldn't want an overwhelmed funkiefied mother of three watching my kids.

It's something I"m good at and we could use the extra money. I would not just babysit to "get out of a rut". I was looking at pros to it , that is all. I think everyone misunderstood. But, anyhoo that is the reason. Good at it and could use the extra income.  

• imageBaby0322:

imageLalaMama81:

Do you need the money to live? 
  • AZ123AZ123 member

You should start with some weekend babysitting (leave your kids with your DH) and some house sitting to see how you handle it all and if it is truly something you enjoy. It will also get you connected with our parents in the area and maybe you could find an ideal more full time position nanny and sitting. 

Another option for working parents is back up care. there isn't much back up care out there and that would be something where you're on call. You can charge more $ but not have the daily committment of it.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJellyBellyStar:

By your response I'm assuming you may want one of two answers...

Puppies and rainbows:  This sounds like a wonderful idea.  I bet the neighborhood moms will come running.

SAHM:  No lady you sound like you might be kind of depressed and should focus on that first.  Secondly you have a lot of kids adding a fourth one sounds like too much.   

No, I don't expect that at all. I was trying to explain what I was thinking. A lot of the responses they seemed to have misunderstood. I'm done with this thread now. No, I'm not depressed. lol. It's hard to explain things on the internet. I knew what kind of responses I was more than likely going to get. I'm not surprised. Thank you for your input though. 

• Really ou got so,e great advice I am sorry it not what you wanted to hear. If you are great at child are then make it a personal goal to make this summer the best you can for your kids. Step up your game and be good for them. If you really need extra money there are other ways.
  • imageI Heart The 80s:

Also, I see that you also posted this on Multiples. Stop going around the boards and asking this. Either make your own decision, or realize that committing to watching extra kids to "get you out of a funk" is wrong.

You have a toddler and twins. If you are in a funk, it's because that it's a HARD job. I get it, I really do. But adding more children to the mix will not help. 

Please go through and READ MY OTHER POSTS. I'm not trying to do this to get out of a funk. This is an internet forum and I'm sorry but if I want to post the same questions on two boards, I will. I was majorly misunderstood and that's ok. Like I said in my other posts, It's hard explaining things to people that don't know you on an internet forum. I'm not surprised on the responses I got. Thanks for your inpout though. 

• imageLalaMama81:
    imageBaby0322:
    imageI Heart The 80s:

Also, I see that you also posted this on Multiples. Stop going around the boards and asking this. Either make your own decision, or realize that committing to watching extra kids to "get you out of a funk" is wrong.

You have a toddler and twins. If you are in a funk, it's because that it's a HARD job. I get it, I really do. But adding more children to the mix will not help. 

Please go through and READ MY OTHER POSTS. I'm not trying to do this to get out of a funk. This is an internet forum and I'm sorry but if I want to post the same questions on two boards, I will. I was majorly misunderstood and that's ok. Like I said in my other posts, It's hard explaining things to people that don't know you on an internet forum. I'm not surprised on the responses I got. Thanks for your inpout though. 

How were your majorly misunderstood? Your OP said that maybe watching extra kids would get you more organized, that you'd plan more activities w/ your kids and that you were in a funk. It can be difficult to understand nuance on a message board, but if you say what you mean and mean what you say, that eliminates a lot of "confusion." 

you read what she said, and understood what you read. However you totally misunderstood even if she did write it that way. Get it?
  • imageLalaMama81:
    imageBaby0322:
    imageI Heart The 80s:

How were your majorly misunderstood? Your OP said that maybe watching extra kids would get you more organized, that you'd plan more activities w/ your kids and that you were in a funk. It can be difficult to understand nuance on a message board, but if you say what you mean and mean what you say, that eliminates a lot of "confusion." 

That was a very SMALL part of it. My main reason was the extra money to put into savings. No, one seemed to read that part. That's fine though. I will make a decision after I talk some more with my DH. 

• I specifically asked if you truly needed the money to live? You did not answer. If you do the ladies on here are great at helping you think outside the box to find a job to fit yours and your DHs schedule.
  • imageAndrewsgal:
    imageLalaMama81:
    imageBaby0322:
    imageI Heart The 80s:

you read what she said, and understood what you read. However you totally misunderstood even if she did write it that way. Get it?

My big reason was to put some extra money into savings. No one read that part I guess. 

• imageAndrewsgal:
    I specifically asked if you truly needed the money to live? You did not answer. If you do the ladies on here are great at helping you think outside the box to find a job to fit yours and your DHs schedule.

My DH works all the time. His job is very demanding. It is impossible. He works 12 hour shifts  and it's never the same days. He has usually one day off a week and he sleeps the day away because he works nights. And no,we will be just fine. I want to put some extra away. 

• imageAndrewsgal:

Because It's a profession that you are getting paid to do. I was a bit of a perfectionist when I worked outside my home so I know I would be with this. You have to be that way to please your "customers". Childcare especially in your home is  a career just like any other.

• I watch 2 extra kids, besides my 2.  I love it.  Mine are 3.5 and 15 months now and I watch a 3 and 4 year old.  The older 3 all play great together and it is wonderful. It is a long day and I am tired at night, but I really enjoy it as well. The kids (not siblings) moms are also both due with babies in November. So I will have 2 more. Now the one child I only watch on Fridays the other up to 4 days a week. You can always try it out for the summer and see how it goes. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"