Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Talk to me about solids

Did you wait until 6 months or longer? Or did you start sooner and why? 

Re: Talk to me about solids

• LO#1 - Started at 4 months because pedi recommended it and I was anxious to try it out.

LO#2 - Started at 5 months because I remembered how much of a hassle it was with #1.

LO#3 - I am going to try to hold off as long as possible because it is so much work between preparing the foods and cleaning up.  Our mealtimes are already pretty crazy without adding this into the mix:-)

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Started at 4 months 1 week.

Why? Some new studies are suggesting that an early exposure (4-6m) to food (including allergenic ones) may reduce the likelihood of developing food allergies later on in life.  As a result, I already have given DS tree nuts, egg, fish, meat; all after he has done well with regular fruits & veggies.  Will be introducing peanut butter and shellfish this coming week.

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • Loading the player...
  • We introduced oatmeal at 4 months for about a week.  He didn't do well with the spoon, so I stopped for two weeks and picked up with sweet potatoes this past week and he's done much better.  We're doing veggies and then fruits so he doesn't prefer the really sweet stuff over the blander things.

Edit: We also started because of our pediatricians recommendation, and based on the new study that I had read and approached the pediatrician about to gauge her thoughts.  She recommended that if he didn't do well, to stop for a little while and then try again, and that we could stop and restart as many times as necessary

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• mz07mz07 member

I'm reading a book on baby-led weaning right now (I think it might be called... wait for it... Baby-led Weaning) and it makes a lot of sense. Given the efforts you had with #1, my guess is this book will make a lot of sense (they talk about parents that come to BLW after difficulties introducing solids to their first baby under the age of 6mos). Also, WHO and other organizations strongly recommend NOT introducing solids before 6 months. There was just a report on NBC (maybe 2 months ago?) saying it's not good for them.

I don't know if we'll do BLW entirely (meaning NEVER doing spoon feeding) but there seems to be a lot of good things about it: children work on manual dexterity, they learn to eat for hunger, and try new things, instead of just being forced to eat mush they learn about textures, and finally, it has the potential to help save some money, since the babies can eat most of (not every single thing) of what the parents/family eat.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Started at 4 months, recommended by his pedi. You could tell he was just ready. He took to the spoon like a little pro.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

• imagepb_bride:

Started at 4 months 1 week.

Why? Some new studies are suggesting that an early exposure (4-6m) to food (including allergenic ones) may reduce the likelihood of developing food allergies later on in life.  As a result, I already have given DS tree nuts, egg, fish, meat; all after he has done well with regular fruits & veggies.  Will be introducing peanut butter and shellfish this coming week.

Do you have a link or anything for this? I'm very curious.

WIMG950372 1

• ACOOKACOOK member
    I started both of my DD at 4 months with rice cereal and added from there. DD #2 is up to 10 different kinds of food now and very happy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagefennyann:
    imagepb_bride:

Here you go:

https://www.parade.com/health/parenting/2013/03/18-new-thinking-on-preventing-food-allergies.html

https://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324662404578334423524696016.html

The WHO guidelines for waiting until 6 months - it makes sense in countries with less-than-ideal water hygiene.  It's best to feed babies with BM than with questionable clean water/foods.  As for AAP's recommendation for EBF 6 months, as pointed out in the articles I linked above, that recommendation came out over a decade ago, yet the rate of food allergies in children has only gone up instead of down since.

HTH 

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • imagepb_bride:
    imagefennyann:
    imagepb_bride:

Here you go:

https://www.parade.com/health/parenting/2013/03/18-new-thinking-on-preventing-food-allergies.html

https://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324662404578334423524696016.html

The WHO guidelines for waiting until 6 months - it makes sense in countries with less-than-ideal water hygiene.  It's best to feed babies with BM than with questionable clean water/foods.  As for AAP's recommendation for EBF 6 months, as pointed out in the articles I linked above, that recommendation came out over a decade ago, yet the rate of food allergies in children has only gone up instead of down since.

HTH 

Thanks!

WIMG950372 1

• We started at 5 months 1 week. He just seemed ready and never really satisfied even after eating 42 ounces in 24 hours. He is doing awesome with a spoon and is still drinking about 38 ounces of formula.

• We waited till 6 months with DD and will do the same with DS.  I once read in a BFing book they said something like, "Why replace something that is nutritional perfect, with something that is not before you have to?"  Made sense to me!  Plus from a selfish standpoint I didn't want to have to spray off diapers before I absolutely had to.  We cloth diaper and those EBF poops can go straight into the washing machine! 
  • Our pediatrician suggested we start with them at their 4 month check up, but to go slow.  I give them a little bit of cereal before their last bottle of the evening.  Mostly just practicing sitting in their chairs and with the spoon.  Both of them seem to like it so we plan to introduce a veggie in the next couple of weeks.
  • Yes, I did waited for 6 months. I didn't wanted to take the risks of some later complications. When you decide  to start you could use this https://goodmomming.com/ for inspiration regarding solid food. Hope it helps you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"