November 2012 Moms

Solids and formula

I'm thinking of starting solids and I was wondering if you ladies noticed a decrease in formula intake? Obviously he won't be eating much for be first month or so until he's increased to 3x per day, but in any case, I was curious if ounces would go down as solids came into play.
I can't commit to starting solids. I am so excited but for some reason I keep putting it off. I am going to buy the baby brezza and make it all and maybe I am concerned it'll be a pain. But I SAH and really have no reason to worry about making it. Maybe since I know I am a terrible cook when it comes to our meals, I worry I'm not cut out for baby food either. Haha. Anyways, I need to just do it because he is so so ready.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Solids and formula

• There has been minimal decrease in formula intake in our experience. I feel he has a good balance in both. We actually couldn't keep up with just formula. It seemed he always wanted to eat. Since we started solids, I think his appetite is being more satisfied. He still gets a lot of formula.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image143BabyCakes:
    There has been minimal decrease in formula intake in our experience. I feel he has a good balance in both. We actually couldn't keep up with just formula. It seemed he always wanted to eat. Since we started solids, I think his appetite is being more satisfied. He still gets a lot of formula.
      This is where we're at!!  Except DH refuses to give solids until 6mo. when we get the pedi's ok.  I might start sneaking some banana in during MOTN feedings... kidding, just kidding... maybe.

Anyway, aren't you not supposed to decrease their formula intake when you start solids?  I thought that was bad, because the solids aren't as nutiritous, so they shouldn't be displacing the formula. Is that correct?  

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imageLuckyMissus:

image143BabyCakes:
    There has been minimal decrease in formula intake in our experience. I feel he has a good balance in both. We actually couldn't keep up with just formula. It seemed he always wanted to eat. Since we started solids, I think his appetite is being more satisfied. He still gets a lot of formula.
      This is where we're at!!  Except DH refuses to give solids until 6mo. when we get the pedi's ok.  I might start sneaking some banana in during MOTN feedings... kidding, just kidding... maybe.

Anyway, aren't you not supposed to decrease their formula intake when you start solids?  I thought that was bad, because the solids aren't as nutiritous, so they shouldn't be displacing the formula. Is that correct?  

The way our Pedi explained it, it seemed to me, that his solids would cause his formula intake to stop increasing and maybe decrease a tiny tiny bit. I will keep offering the same amount with each bottle though. If, he starts to take 6 oz per feeding instead of 8 then I'll adjust as needed. Thanks ladies! I'm excited! I think I'll go to Target today for the Baby Brezza.

• imageLuckyMissus:

image143BabyCakes:

His intake didn't decrease naturally, and that is probably due to the fact that solids are a gradual introduction. Not a replacement meal. For example, K ate 2.5 ounces of bananas then finished a 6 oz. bottle. Later that night, he was pissed at me until I figured out he wanted cereal before bed. Not exaggerating. But we introduced solids at 4 months 2 weeks, per pedi's recommendation, and he is 5 months 1 week now. (There is such a thing as too much formula) I think he has his daddy's metabolism. Thank God!! lol

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure I answered your question lol. sorry Embarrassed

• We started LO on solids right after he turned 5 months because like others mentions, he just wanted to eat all the time! He is BF, but it was the same concept. He now (at just over 6 months) takes about 4-5oz of solids a day, and his BM intake has not gone down at all. He is just more satisfied throughout the day, and doesn't cry after his bottles are gone anymore.

• image143BabyCakes:
    imageLuckyMissus:

image143BabyCakes:

His intake didn't decrease naturally, and that is probably due to the fact that solids are a gradual introduction. Not a replacement meal. For example, K ate 2.5 ounces of bananas then finished a 6 oz. bottle. Later that night, he was pissed at me until I figured out he wanted cereal before bed. Not exaggerating. But we introduced solids at 4 months 2 weeks, per pedi's recommendation, and he is 5 months 1 week now. (There is such a thing as too much formula) I think he has his daddy's metabolism. Thank God!! lol

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure I answered your question lol. sorry Embarrassed

You answered it! Haha. He is fine with his formula intake when he STTN. But when he adds a feeding or two in that 24 hours it's so much food! There's a period of time between his late afternoon bottle and bedtime bottle where he would love to have solids and it would keep him satisfied until bedtime. Plus, he could sit with us at dinner. =)

The other day I had him propped up on his Boppy while I ate lunch next to him. He full on sat up and grabbed the lettuce from my salad and went right for the mouth. Silly boy. 

• We started solids about a week and a half ago. He gets solids once a day. A few days I have noticed he ate about 4 ounces less of formula but other than that he eats about the same amount at the same times. I'm sure it will change when he gets solids twice a day.

I started making my own baby food and it is so much fun! And really easy. I love the books BabyLed Weaning and The Wholesome Baby Food Guide. They are great!

• image143BabyCakes:

This is my situation as well.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

• imagefennyann:

image143BabyCakes:

This is my situation as well.

I've noticed this too. Just seems more content and will play longer.

• I give him solids an hour after he gets his bottle so he's still getting the same amount of formula. My mom gives him cereal in the morning and uses the formula from the bottle that she makes first and after he eats the cereal he finishes the bottle. Z seems to be going through a growth spurt right now and is sleeps and has finally increased his bottles to 6 ounces all the time instead of doing a couple of 4 ounces. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageBabyMakes 3:
    image143BabyCakes:
    imageLuckyMissus:

image143BabyCakes:

You answered it! Haha. He is fine with his formula intake when he STTN. But when he adds a feeding or two in that 24 hours it's so much food! There's a period of time between his late afternoon bottle and bedtime bottle where he would love to have solids and it would keep him satisfied until bedtime. Plus, he could sit with us at dinner. =)

The other day I had him propped up on his Boppy while I ate lunch next to him. He full on sat up and grabbed the lettuce from my salad and went right for the mouth. Silly boy. 

Ok, that makes more sense. 

Clearly I need to research before diving into this businesss.

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Z will have been eating solids for a month (with formula a few times a day).

I just opened a new formula canister, I wrote the date on it and see how much more he is eating solid wise. When he wasn't eating solids he was going through a big canister of formula every week and a half to two weeks.

I have been giving him solids twice a day for the past few days. He gets 4oz of a fruit and 4oz of a veggie.  

Nov 2012 BMB January Siggy Challenge
    Those Presedential Fitness Tests Were Torture

• imagedoggiemom4:

Z will have been eating solids for a month (with formula a few times a day).

I just opened a new formula canister, I wrote the date on it and see how much more he is eating solid wise. When he wasn't eating solids he was going through a big canister of formula every week and a half to two weeks.

I have been giving him solids twice a day for the past few days. He gets 4oz of a fruit and 4oz of a veggie.  

Before solids we were going through a 40 oz. powder canister a week. I think I am going to start paying attention to the shelf life a little more now. Just to see if there is much of a difference.

• jg1011jg1011 member
    V started on solids at 4 months just cereal two times a day at breakfast and dinner. Then at 5 months we added Stage 1 fruit and/or veggie to it. Worked up to 2 Tbs oatmeal and 1 container stage 1. We noticed him fighting his two daytime bottles a bit 12:30 and 4:30. Pedi reassured us that it was normal. She said the formula you add to the cereal counts to ounces for day. So we aimed at 28 ounces a day. Now at 6 months they have him eating cereal in the morning with a stage 2 fruit, a meat/veggie combo at lunch, and cereal and a fruit or veggie at dinner. He still gets 4 bottles a day, but the ounces required per day is now down to 24 ounces and that includes the 6 ounces he would get in cereal twice a day.

New to us..but the schedule seems to work for him and he LOVES food!
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"