March 2013 Moms

First Mother's Day

What are everyone's plans for their first Mother's Day? Most likely cooking for my MIL and mom at some point over the weekend. The selfish part of me would like to have the day all to myself but I'm so grateful that both of them are still alive to cook for.

Have you discussed gifts for Mother's Day and later Father's Day? Obviously our LOs cannot choose anything yet but I have something in mind that I want. Can I buy it for myself since DH (who is good at so many things) sucks at gift gifting! Ha.

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: First Mother's Day

• I bought my "big gift", a pearl mother's necklace. We're going out to my favorite restaurant as a family and DH will take my girls shopping to pick out flowers and probably some chocolate covered strawberries the night before.

As for DH, similar idea. We'll go out to a restaurant of his choice. DH isn't big on "meaningful gifts" (neither am I, they just turn into clutter most of the time), so I'll pick out a big item on his wishlist and an ugly tie (found a bacon tie on amazon, lol).

I did get a cute Mother's Day gift last year. Our church had all the kids put handprints on oven pads. Unfortunately, they're cheap ones, so not very practical, but very cute nonetheless.

DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Mothers day I'm sure we will be going to my MIL house for lunch after church. As far as everything else I'm leaving it up to DH.
    Father's Day I plan on taking DD to one of those paint your own ceramic shops and get her handprint on a coffee cup and then paint I love daddy on it. DH is a big coffee drinker so it's meaningful and useful.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelifewrite:
    Mothers day I'm sure we will be going to my MIL house for lunch after church. As far as everything else I'm leaving it up to DH. Father's Day I plan on taking DD to one of those paint your own ceramic shops and get her handprint on a coffee cup and then paint I love daddy on it. DH is a big coffee drinker so it's meaningful and useful.

I attempted to do flower pots a few weeks ago and DS freaked out when I put the paint on his hand. Maybe your LO will not be so ticklish but it was a mess at our house!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageSPIJaimie:

imagelifewrite:
    Mothers day I'm sure we will be going to my MIL house for lunch after church. As far as everything else I'm leaving it up to DH. Father's Day I plan on taking DD to one of those paint your own ceramic shops and get her handprint on a coffee cup and then paint I love daddy on it. DH is a big coffee drinker so it's meaningful and useful.

I attempted to do flower pots a few weeks ago and DS freaked out when I put the paint on his hand. Maybe your LO will not be so ticklish but it was a mess at our house!

Finger painting type things don't go well for DS1 either...i hear, "mess, mess."

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• imageann_jeremiah:
    imageSPIJaimie:

imagelifewrite:

Finger painting type things don't go well for DS1 either...i hear, "mess, mess."

Lol we'll see what happens.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My hope is to be able to buy myself some kind of "mommy" necklace or something. That's about the extent of it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mother's day weekend is packed for us.  It's my SO's sister's college graduation weekend and all the mothers and grandmothers will be there.  I found a a crafty person who makes jewlery to do a pendant for my and my SO's mothers.  It says "Grandma's babies" with all their grandkids birthstones on a little clasp, so I just need to get the bracelets to put them on.  As for my 1st mother's day I would just be glad to get a nap!  My SO isn't sentimental at all or even practical so him cleaning the house as a gift won't happen either.  Come on nap!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My little cousin's annual dance recital is always on Mother's Day. I've attended it the last 3 years because I love watching her dance, my paternal grandmother and a few aunts always go to it, and, before this year, my step kids weren't living with us. My mom and my maternal grandmother both passed away 11 years ago and my MIL lives far away so Mother's Day hasn't been that big of a deal for me even though I've been a stepmom for a while.

This year I would still like to watch my cousin dance but I don't know that I want to spend my first "real" Mother's Day away from my immediate family watching a dance recital in a city an hour away from home. However, my DH is kind of encouraging me to go. He says we can make a day of it. We can all go to the city and, while I'm watching the recital, he'll hang out with the kids somewhere. He mentioned wanting to get me to the city that day anyways so I'm wondering what he has up his sleeve.

As for Father's Day, I think we may go fishing or mini golfing. I like to actually do things together for the day. We don't do big presents for days like that.
    Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • No major plans for Mother's Day- just going to church and maybe out to dinner that night. Either way, will be spending it as a family. I know the Saturday before, DH is planning on taking DS to visit his mother so she can meet him. Other than that, no major plans.

• The best advise I ever got was: Take time on mothers day to do what you want. So I go get my nails done and then my husband just has watch the kids and plan dinner (cook or order take out, it is up to him) It makes for a great day. My best advise it tell your partner what you want, he can not read your mind!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"