August 2013 Moms

News Story: couple requests abortion because of gender

Has anyone else heard this story?!?!

https://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/04/29/05/23/doctorrefusedtohelpcoupleseekingabortion

A doctor in Australia is in danger of losing his license because he refused to refer a couple for an abortion they requested when they found out at their 19 WEEK a/s scan that the baby is a girl and not the boy that they wanted.

This literally makes my stomach feel sick. If they continue the pregnancy, I can only hope to god they give that poor baby girl up for adoption.

Edited.. I just read a follow up story that they already got the abortion. I'm going to go throw up now.
Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3

Re: News Story: couple requests abortion because of gender

• WOW! Indifferent

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wow that is awful. Just makes me want to cry knowing so many people out there would have adored that poor baby! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBreanneL24:
    I'm just really hoping that is not the entire story. That is absolutely disgusting and I'm glad that doctor didn't help them if their reasoning was truly only that it was a girl.

It really sounds like that's all there was to their reasoning. One article I read said they were very honest about that being the only reason.

• That is absolutely disgusting!
  • This is just sick. People like that should not be parents, ever. I love that we have so many tools at our disposal during pregnancy (A/S scans, MaterniT21, etc) but this type of stuff is the downside to it.

• Can you point to a source that says he might lose his license? I haven't seen that claim in any news source that was not an anti-abortion advocacy site. In fact, the mainstream press is reporting that most doctors refuse those requests.

The doctor also notes that, "it was the husband who did all the talking - he was so insistent," which suggests to me that there is coercion going on here. It's hard to imagine how difficult it must be to be a woman in a situation where your husband and/or community is pressuring (and perhaps coercing) you into sex-selective abortion. I can even imagine being relieved to spare a daughter the pain of being treated that way. Not that I am pro-sex-selective-abortion, but there seems to be more here: coercion and no actual danger that the doctor will lose his license.

• imagelindsey61811:
    I just read a follow up story that they already got the abortion. I'm going to go throw up now.

ditto

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • imageplunderb:

Can you point to a source that says he might lose his license? I haven't seen that claim in any news source that was not an anti-abortion advocacy site. In fact, the mainstream press is reporting that most doctors refuse those requests.

The doctor also notes that, "it was the husband who did all the talking - he was so insistent," which suggests to me that there is coercion going on here. It's hard to imagine how difficult it must be to be a woman in a situation where your husband and/or community is pressuring (and perhaps coercing) you into sex-selective abortion. I can even imagine being relieved to spare a daughter the pain of being treated that way. Not that I am pro-sex-selective-abortion, but there seems to be more here: coercion and no actual danger that the doctor will lose his license.

Yes, but couldn't you also spare your daughter that pain by leaving this man? I understand that there could be some mental abuse going on, but ultimately we all make choices.

"The cleaning, the scrubbing will wait til tomorrow,
    For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So, quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
  • This really makes me sick... Why would you kill that little angel just because it wast the gender you wanted?!! Some people are beyond selfish.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • That's why there is a push to take away telling people the sex of the baby before birth. If you think this doesn't happen in the USA and Canada, you're wrong. It happens every day. There are certain cultures in which having a boy is really, really important and supporting all those girls to have it the old fashioned way takes too many kids.

I would give up my "right" to know what I'm having if it would stop sex selecting abortions. I generally support a woman's right to choose, but this issue really makes me angry and sad. 

• Here is a better, updated source on this.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/couple-abort-girl-because-they-wanted-a-boy/story-e6frg6n6-1226630789932

That said, I'm not surprised, this is not a new practice, it's done in places like China fairly often. It's really only shocking because it's a white, developed, English-speaking country.

Abortion is legal in the US until 24 weeks, so I wouldn't doubt it's done here more often than is talked about as well. I know when we went for our elective gender scan the lady said she gets yelled at a couple of times a week on average from people finding out the gender wasn't what they wanted.

Due with #5 April 22, 2015. It's a girl!!!!! 

Yes it was planned, yes we know what causes that, no we are not on public assistance, and yes we will be getting cable after this. ;)

• In America it's completely legal to anort based on the baby being a girl. In India it's illegal to abort based on gender. So much for us being so advanced in women's rights, huh? It's terrible! Doc did the right thing.
    Married to my dream husband
    Mom to 2 year old BG twins (Incompetant cervix, cerclage, and LOTS of bed rest)
    Pregnant with our next!
  • That is horrible. If they were that concerned about the gender they should have looked into  fertility treatment to select the sex of the baby. I am not sure if that is truly possible and I am against it, but it is far better than the alternative.

• imagekennazebrowsky:
    That is horrible. If they were that concerned about the gender they should have looked into  fertility treatment to select the sex of the baby. I am not sure if that is truly possible and I am against it, but it is far better than the alternative.

It is possible and people spend large amounts of money on this. However, it is still not 100% guaranteed. In America, it seems the greater demand is actually for girls, which is interesting.

I really don't understand gender selection.

ETA: https://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2012/09/sex_selection_in_babies_through_pgd_americans_are_paying_to_have_daughters_rather_than_sons_.html

• I live in Canada and we aren't allowed to find out the sex at the ultrasound appointment anymore. They stopped it awhile ago because certain races that are now living here tend to do that. It's disturbing. We had to wait for our doctor to tell us, which was only a day later. People are sick
    photo df19160f-bf4d-4b1a-aa18-f922c7344247.jpgphoto 6650edf4-b52e-4beb-a3cd-6bdc9480c61c.jpg
    ~may siggy challenge~

photo IMG_20140501_070346.gif photo IMG_20140501_071323.gif
  • imageMrsCaseyK:
    In America it's completely legal to anort based on the baby being a girl. In India it's illegal to abort based on gender. So much for us being so advanced in women's rights, huh? It's terrible! Doc did the right thing.

That's because in India abortions based on gender are fairly common.  Having a girl can bankrupt a family when she gets married b/c of the dowry she has to pay the future son in law's family. Therefore, they don't want girls and finding out the gender is illegal.  Big difference!

It IS illegal there...but not b/c they're a more advanced society.  And in the OP, she stated this happened in Australia, not the US.  

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • imageplunderb:
    Can you point to a source that says he might lose his license? I haven't seen that claim in any news source that was not an antiabortion advocacy site. In fact, the mainstream press is reporting that most doctors refuse those requests.The doctor also notes that, "it was the husband who did all the talking he was so insistent," which suggests to me that there is coercion going on here. It's hard to imagine how difficult it must be to be a woman in a situation where your husband and/or community is pressuring and perhaps coercing you into sexselective abortion. I can even imagine being relieved to spare a daughter the pain of being treated that way. Not that I am prosexselectiveabortion, but there seems to be more here: coercion and no actual danger that the doctor will lose his license.

I'm not positive.. I looked at so many different articles. I know information gets twisted and dramatized so its totally likely that that part isn't completely accurate.

• I bless this couple with many more pregnancies of baby girls... I'd wish infertility on them, but that just seems wrong....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • imageMammaBear81:
    I bless this couple with many more pregnancies of baby girls... I'd wish infertility on them, but that just seems wrong....

That sounds like torture for the woman. I can't get behind this curse ? can you imagine getting pregnant multiple times and being pressured, berated, or even beaten by your husband or family because your babies are girls? I don't see how this sort of thinking advances respect for women. The whole thing seems like a horrible situation for the woman as well as the unwanted daughters.

• imageMammaBear81:
    I bless this couple with many more pregnancies of baby girls... I'd wish infertility on them, but that just seems wrong....

You do realize she had an abortion because this one was a girl, right? I wouldn't doubt that she would continue to do so until having a boy.

• imageplunderb:

imageMammaBear81:

That sounds like torture for the woman. I can't get behind this curse ? can you imagine getting pregnant multiple times and being pressured, berated, or even beaten by your husband or family because your babies are girls? I don't see how this sort of thinking advances respect for women. The whole thing seems like a horrible situation for the woman as well as the unwanted daughters.

She does not have to stay with her husband, she made a choice.  She will make an "advancement of respect for women" when she stands up for herself and leaves that SOB.  I am hoping they never get that "baby boy" they want because then that child will grow up around that horrible man, and learn the same disrespect that his father is pressuring his wife with.  As another poster said, some people should not be parents.

• imagelindsey61811:
    imageMammaBear81:
    You do realize she had an abortion because this one was a girl, right? I wouldn't doubt that she would continue to do so until having a boy.

Yes, I do, I hope they never have a baby boy so they don't have the chance to teach him to be disrespectful and have his wife abort all of her baby girls as well.

• imageMammaBear81:
    imageplunderb:

imageMammaBear81:

She does not have to stay with her husband, she made a choice.  She will make an "advancement of respect for women" when she stands up for herself and leaves that SOB.  I am hoping they never get that "baby boy" they want because then that child will grow up around that horrible man, and learn the same disrespect that his father is pressuring his wife with.  As another poster said, some people should not be parents.

Agreed.

• imageMammaBear81:

imagelindsey61811:
    imageMammaBear81:

Yes, I do, I hope they never have a baby boy so they don't have the chance to teach him to be disrespectful and have his wife abort all of her baby girls as well.

That's fine. That's not what you said, though. You said, "I bless this couple with many more pregnancies of baby girls." And that is just cruel.

• imageplunderb:
    imageMammaBear81:

imagelindsey61811:
    imageMammaBear81:

That's fine. That's not what you said, though. You said, "I bless this couple with many more pregnancies of baby girls." And that is just cruel.

Well, you only have two choices when having a baby, boy or girl.. hoping they never have a baby boy is the same as hoping that they only get pregnant with girls... OR I could say I wish they never get pregnant again, but I think THAT is cruel.  Infertility is a horrible thing to go through, and I'd never wish that on anyone, choosing to abort your child because it's a certain gender, it is their choice to be "cruel" to themselves... it's like shooting yourself in the foot, repeatedly, you only have yourself to blame for your pain and suffering.

• Unfortunately this happens a lot in certain cultures. I am from BC (Canada) and they won't tell you the gender before 20 weeks because of this. Even if you go to an elective place they are still legally not supposed to tell you, although some shadier places might tell you. A lot of people from these cultures go down to the United States ( we are very close to the border) and get elective ultrasounds and then come back up here and get abortions (where they are free) In fact some of the American elective ultrasound places advertise in our Ethnic Newspapers. (Ie. "Get a boy this time!! Come get the earliest answers!")

Married 07/17/2010
    Diagnosed with PCOS 10/20/2010 
    TTC since Oct 2010 
    BFP #1 March 31st 2011 Due December 10 2011 
    Missed m/c discovered June 2nd 2011 at 12w4d
    D&C scheduled June 7th 2011 at 13w2d
    Found out our baby boy had Triploidy XXY through embryopathology
    BFP #2 September 28th 2011 Due June 8th 2012
    Missed m/c discovered November 20th 2011 at 11w2d
    D&C November 29th 2011 at 12w4d
    Found out our baby girl had Monosomy X through embryopathology
    BFP #3 April 24th 2012 Due January 5th 2013
    Betas falling on 04/26/12 Chemical Pregnancy
    RPL testing done, multi nodular goiters on thyroid discovered.

BFP #4 November 22nd 2012, Due August 5th 2013
    Betas: 17 @ 9dpo, 62 @ 11dpo, 124 @ 12dpo, 321 @ 14dpo 720 @ 16dpo 13,805 @ 23 dpo 
    First ultrasound at 6w3d, hb 122 bpm. 
    Second ultrasound at 7w3d hb 143 bpm 
    Third ultrasound at 10w1d hb 167-170 bpm 
    Forth ultrasound 12w1d hb 167 bpm 
    Graduated rpl program, moving on to regular ob! 
    It's a boy! 

Little man was born August 1st 2013, 7lbs 8oz and 20.5 inches long

• imageMissuskeekers:
    Unfortunately this happens a lot in certain cultures. I am from BC (Canada) and they won't tell you the gender before 20 weeks because of this. Even if you go to an elective place they are still legally not supposed to tell you, although some shadier places might tell you. A lot of people from these cultures go down to the United States ( we are very close to the border) and get elective ultrasounds and then come back up here and get abortions (where they are free) In fact some of the American elective ultrasound places advertise in our Ethnic Newspapers. (Ie. "Get a boy this time!! Come get the earliest answers!")

Ugh that makes me sick!! Thanks America for being so shameless.

The article itself is also disgusting. No kids would be the safest bet for this classy couple.

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• lisamoelisamoe member
    They should both be sterilized for being such a**holes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageV&G101808:

imageMissuskeekers:
    Unfortunately this happens a lot in certain cultures. I am from BC (Canada) and they won't tell you the gender before 20 weeks because of this. Even if you go to an elective place they are still legally not supposed to tell you, although some shadier places might tell you. A lot of people from these cultures go down to the United States ( we are very close to the border) and get elective ultrasounds and then come back up here and get abortions (where they are free) In fact some of the American elective ultrasound places advertise in our Ethnic Newspapers. (Ie. "Get a boy this time!! Come get the earliest answers!")

Ugh that makes me sick!! Thanks America for being so shameless.

The article itself is also disgusting. No kids would be the safest bet for this classy couple.

Not all places are like that obviously. I had my elective ultrasound done in Seattle because I wanted to know early I'm impatient! and the woman that owned the place was disgusted to hear that happened.

Married 07/17/2010
    Diagnosed with PCOS 10/20/2010 
    TTC since Oct 2010 
    BFP #1 March 31st 2011 Due December 10 2011 
    Missed m/c discovered June 2nd 2011 at 12w4d
    D&C scheduled June 7th 2011 at 13w2d
    Found out our baby boy had Triploidy XXY through embryopathology
    BFP #2 September 28th 2011 Due June 8th 2012
    Missed m/c discovered November 20th 2011 at 11w2d
    D&C November 29th 2011 at 12w4d
    Found out our baby girl had Monosomy X through embryopathology
    BFP #3 April 24th 2012 Due January 5th 2013
    Betas falling on 04/26/12 Chemical Pregnancy
    RPL testing done, multi nodular goiters on thyroid discovered.

BFP #4 November 22nd 2012, Due August 5th 2013
    Betas: 17 @ 9dpo, 62 @ 11dpo, 124 @ 12dpo, 321 @ 14dpo 720 @ 16dpo 13,805 @ 23 dpo 
    First ultrasound at 6w3d, hb 122 bpm. 
    Second ultrasound at 7w3d hb 143 bpm 
    Third ultrasound at 10w1d hb 167-170 bpm 
    Forth ultrasound 12w1d hb 167 bpm 
    Graduated rpl program, moving on to regular ob! 
    It's a boy! 

Little man was born August 1st 2013, 7lbs 8oz and 20.5 inches long

• imageMammaBear81:
    imageplunderb:
    imageMammaBear81:

imagelindsey61811:
    imageMammaBear81:

Well, you only have two choices when having a baby, boy or girl.. hoping they never have a baby boy is the same as hoping that they only get pregnant with girls... OR I could say I wish they never get pregnant again, but I think THAT is cruel.  Infertility is a horrible thing to go through, and I'd never wish that on anyone, choosing to abort your child because it's a certain gender, it is their choice to be "cruel" to themselves... it's like shooting yourself in the foot, repeatedly, you only have yourself to blame for your pain and suffering.

So what your saying is that you are hoping/praying for the deaths of many future baby girls because that is preferable to the suffering of infertility?

I really do not understand.

• imageMammaBear81:
    imageplunderb:
    imageMammaBear81:

imagelindsey61811:
    imageMammaBear81:

If they are going to abort a girl... I would absolutely wish they never have another pregnancy rather than wishing they have a baby that they are likely to abort..

I'm sure it's not what you meant by it but to hope for them to continuing having girls makes absolutely no sense when a baby girl leads to them choosing abortion.. it's like wishing death on the innocent baby..

• There are some real winners out there, I tell ya. 

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif
  • imagelindsey61811:
    imageMammaBear81:
    imageplunderb:
    imageMammaBear81:

imagelindsey61811:
    imageMammaBear81:

If they are going to abort a girl... I would absolutely wish they never have another pregnancy rather than wishing they have a baby that they are likely to abort..

I'm sure it's not what you meant by it but to hope for them to continuing having girls makes absolutely no sense when a baby girl leads to them choosing abortion.. it's like wishing death on the innocent baby..

They have to live with the choice to keep killing their babies, not me.  I should "spare them the pain" and hope they never get pregnant again, no thanks! 

That woman can wise up and leave her husband and remarry someone else, why would I wish infertility on them?  Karma's a b!tch....

• imageKatieR2310:
    I live in Canada and we aren't allowed to find out the sex at the ultrasound appointment anymore. They stopped it awhile ago because certain races that are now living here tend to do that. It's disturbing. We had to wait for our doctor to tell us, which was only a day later. People are sick

I live in Canada and I've never even heard of that. I found out the sex at my Anatomy Scan without and issue, and so have many of my friends and family. Not only that but they offer elective ultrasounds with various techs who also provide gender determination.
  • I think reading this article upset not only me, but my LO. They are kicking furiously right now.

(or maybe its the cucumber I'm rapidly consuming...)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imageFirstBaby87:
    imageKatieR2310:
    I live in Canada and we aren't allowed to find out the sex at the ultrasound appointment anymore. They stopped it awhile ago because certain races that are now living here tend to do that. It's disturbing. We had to wait for our doctor to tell us, which was only a day later. People are sick

I live in Canada and I've never even heard of that. I found out the sex at my Anatomy Scan without and issue, and so have many of my friends and family. Not only that but they offer elective ultrasounds with various techs who also provide gender determination.

Where in Canada do you live? I'm in bc and my gyno told me its not allowed anymore, and the ultrasound clinic and techs told me the same. My friends who are and have been pregnant were told the same as well. There is another lady on this thread who mentioned the same as me.. Maybe it's just certain provinces?
    photo df19160f-bf4d-4b1a-aa18-f922c7344247.jpgphoto 6650edf4-b52e-4beb-a3cd-6bdc9480c61c.jpg
    ~may siggy challenge~

• Oh and there ARE places that do 3d ultrasounds after 20 weeks here and they will tell you the gender. It's just when you go tk your anatomy scan the techs aren't allowed to tell you
    ~may siggy challenge~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"