Stay at Home Moms

Would you side eye me?

I feel like we've been in limbo for like the last 2 weeks with the weather. It's been sunny most days but chilly, like the high has been in the 60s. I'm sooooo ready for my girls to start wearing their new springsummer clothes. Lydia's jeans are borderline high waters, Fiona has outgrown every pair of shoes except for these awful brown mary janes with pink polka dots that used to be Lydia's. I want to put capris, t shirts and sandals on them, dammit! They all have lightweight white hooded zip up sweatshirts to wear in the mornings if it's cold. Man, would you side eye me, thinking they must be freezing??
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Would you side eye me?

• IlumineIlumine member

Will your kids be warm enough?  Then do it. 

One of the oddest things I found in Germany, was the Cultural views on temperature and bundling.  They would bundle up their kids in winter snow gear, with hats, gloves and boots well into the 60s.  

You would see these poor kids weeble-wobbling around the parks, trying to climb the equipment, swing on swings and play in the sand, in full on snow gear.

Their magic temp was 64 degrees F.

And I would get the looks, snide commentary in german and passive-agressive commentary in English.  And I ignored them all because my child was fine (she would actually take off her jacket because she would get warmer while playing).

Eh 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Well, the high has been in the 60s. We go to the gym at 8am and according to my outside temp reader thingy in my minivan, it's in the low 50s. That's actually the temp that seems chilly even though it's sunny and beautiful.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • No side eye from me. I hate this in between sh!t, and DS's pants are also getting too too short. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Not at all.  We had a high of 50 yesterday with 40 mph winds and a friend had her kid in a one piece shorts thing.  I raised an eye brow at that.
  • Tshirts and pants are appropriate in that weather IMO. Lately dd wears capris, a tshirt or tank and a cardigan over it for the morning since its been 50 in the morning and high 60/low 70s in the afternoon. I do shorts or pants and a tshirt with a light spring coat for ds. I notice people usually have kids in a lot more and I think it's insane IMO. I went to the zoo this weekend and it was in the low 60s. A woman had a winter coat on. I was like wtf. Haha. 

Right now I have a sleeveless dress on and it's 50 out. Lol. After Dds swim class and ds's speech therapy were going to the beach since it will be 70. I try to dress for the day, not just the morning temp. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • smerkasmerka member
    I won't side eye you if you don't side eye me for having my kid in long sleeves and pants when it is in the 80's.  I've been trying all week to get him in short sleeves and he's refusing.  
  • Nope. As long as your kids are warm enough, dress them however you please. It's been chilly here the past few mornings but warming up as the days go on, and my kids have both worn shorts and tshirts, with a sweater either on or packed in their bag.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• ta78ta78 member

Really 60s is warm for us this time of year. It is supposed to be 70+ through the weekend which is hot here.

I have noticed that everybody pulls out the shorts and sandals when the sun comes out, no matter what the temp is. So, I don't think anybody would side eye you. Enjoy that it's not raining this week.

If you waited until it was really warm to pull out the spring/summer clothes, they'd only wear them for a month or 2. And not until July.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• I think it would be fine :)  I have put DD in capris too on iffy days.  I am sick of the winter clothes!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No side eye from me at all, sounds normal to me.  A woman that I just met the other day questioned me for not putting a hat on DD because it was in the low to mid 60s....so I am sure some people will side eye you, but if your kids are warm enough who cares? 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• We're in Seattle too, where it's BEAUTIFUL and sunny, yet 47 right now at 8am. :) I wouldn't side eye you. I took DD to the zoo yesterday with a friend after school. It was still a bit chilly but they were running around in short sleeved shirts while I was carrying their jackets. Lots of kids were actually in shorts. As long as your kids are happy and look comfortable I wouldn't think anything of it.
  • jnksmomjnksmom member
    imageIgoo0304:
    imageIlumine:

Will your kids be warm enough?  Then do it. 

One of the oddest things I found in Germany, was the Cultural views on temperature and bundling.  They would bundle up their kids in winter snow gear, with hats, gloves and boots well into the 60s.  

You would see these poor kids weeble-wobbling around the parks, trying to climb the equipment, swing on swings and play in the sand, in full on snow gear.

Their magic temp was 64 degrees F.

And I would get the looks, snide commentary in german and passive-agressive commentary in English.  And I ignored them all because my child was fine (she would actually take off her jacket because she would get warmer while playing).

Eh 

My German neighbor's mom used to harass me about bundling DS when we still lived in England. I'm happy to see it's a cultural thing rather than her just thinking I was a crappy parent.  

DS's best friend is from Germany and the bundle up more than we do also. DS wore shorts and short sleeves Saturday for his party. His friend had on jeans, a shirt sleeve shirt but then had a hoodie and a jacket. It was 68degrees.  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"