May 2013 Moms

What counts as a "big family"?

Today, I was talking to another mom about baby #3 on the way and she was asking if I had always known that I wanted a big family.  To her, that meant three or more kids.  I have never thought of that as a big family before, but it got me wondering what the general perception is.  How many kids makes a "big family" to you? 
imageBabyFruit Ticker

Re: What counts as a "big family"?

• I never thought 3 kids was a huge family but maybe 4 in my opinion?

ETA: I guess I always thought 3 kids was normal size

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicphoto r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif
                            Anniversary
                            Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                           BFP#1- April 24th. M/c-April 30th. BFP#2-September 11th. EDD: May 25th. 
                                      It's a girl!!! (: Madison arrived on May 19th at 6:35 am (:
                                                               * July '15 January siggy challenge.*
  • Do pets count in the number??
  • Loading the player...
  • I always thought 4 or more

photo f2800575-8c12-4491-8194-153c04d585b8_zps49b02af4.jpg
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would say 2 or 3 is average and 4 or more is a big family.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Five or more.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagejesselayne8:
    I would say 2 or 3 is average and 4 or more is a big family.

Agreed. 

imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

• pnutgpnutg member
    I agree with pps. These days I would say 4 or more.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think of 3 as being above average but wouldn't think it is a "big" family, necessarily. 4 for sure is.

My little bug, Madeline. Born June 2, 2013.

• I would say more than five is big. At five it seems almost big but not quite.

Edit There were four kids in my family and each of my sosters has four so it just seems normal. I have know more than several families to have five kids so it doesn't seem to far off.
  • imageblush64:
    I would say more than five is big. At five it seems almost big but not quite.

Same here. Of course my perception might be skewed because DH is one of 8 and I have a SIL who is one of 10. 

Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • imageMrsMMalone:
    I think of 3 as being above average but wouldn't think it is a "big" family, necessarily. 4 for sure is.

This.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Four or more
  • Well... my brother and I always thought our household was a "small" family.

My uncle has five kids... my other uncle has four... which just seems "normal" to us.

My grandmother is one of thirteen kids, though.  So.  Our perception is a bit skewed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would probably say 4+ kids is a big family. At that point you can't put them all in the backseat of the car and have to start looking into third row seating.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Over 4 
  • I'm one of 3 and never considered our family 'big', just normal. But now looking at it from the perspective of having my own family, I could see how 3 could be considered big. I always thought 4 was the start of a 'big' family.

**BFP 6/2/2015
    Toddler Boy 5/24/2013
  • imageHoolahZinger:

imagejesselayne8:
    I would say 2 or 3 is average and 4 or more is a big family.

Agreed. 

this! 

• I would agree that 4 is the start of a big family. 
  • Anything more than two kids seems big to me. I'm an only child and would love to have two children.
  • Any family with more than 2 kids is considered big in my eyes. That's a family of FIVE already!!!
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member

I think 2 is normal, 3 is hovering, and 4 is starting on big.

• Before I had 4 I thought 4 was a big family.  Now it doesn't seem that way but I think just because they are still all so little.  In a few years I will probably think we have a big family.  Most of my friends have 3 kids, so that seems completely normal to me.  DH and I are both one of two.  My mom is one of 7 and my dad is one of 4.  
  • jelerojelero member
    I would say five or more.
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • mbodymbody member

2-3 kids, average

4-5 kids, big

6+, huge

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• imagebowman958:
    I always thought 4 or more

This. I've always thought 2 or 3 was average.

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP#1 09/2009 * EDD 6/19/2010 * Born 6/12/2010

BFP#2 6/03/2012 * EDD 2/09/2013 * MC @ 5w2d 6/13/2012

BFP#3 8/30/2012 * EDD 5/16/2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"