July 2013 Moms

Hot tub during pregnancy?

Would you go in a hot tub if it was 100*F for 5-10 mins while pregnant?  My back is killing me but I don't want to cause any harm to baby if hot tubs are really bad. I could sit on the stairs so my upper body is out.  I know the issue is about my body temperature rising too high.  Thoughts?  Thanks!
After 4.5 years our miracle IVF baby is here!
Born 7/30/13

Re: Hot tub during pregnancy?

• I wouldn't. Sorry. Feel better!!
  • I wouldn't...try a heating pad:)
  • Loading the player...
  • KERJFKERJF member

nope.

have you tried stretching and perhaps prenatal yoga or something? that may help longer term

imageimage
  • How about a warm bath instead?
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Could you try a warm bath instead?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Yes, and I have. I asked my OB about it before we went away for a long weekend, he said that as long as it didn't raise my core temp above 102 I was fine. He suggested I soak for 10 min, then get out for 20, then back in for 10, etc. If I was really concerned about it he said to take my temp before and after getting in, but as the hot tub itself was pretty cool (about 100, instead of 104 or 108 like some can get) I wasn't too worried about it. I was 21 weeks at the time, I might be a little more cautious about it in 1st & 3rd tri, but I think 5-10 min in 100 deg would be fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm doing physical therapy.  I will try a warm bath or shower.  Thanks for the suggestions!
    After 4.5 years our miracle IVF baby is here!
    Born 7/30/13
  • actually one of the biggest concerns is the amount of bacteria in a hot tub... that temp of water is perfect breeding grounds for bacteria and not may people have the chemicals perfect enough to kill them all off....
  • I used our hot tub during the last 6 weeks of my first pregnancy... I turned it down to 98-100... So a little warmer than body temp.  I would go in, then get out to my knees when I felt too warm. My doc said the most danger was in the first trimester, because getting too hot draws blood away from your core (because it cools faster in your extremities), so could deprive the baby of blood flow.  But apparently third tri is fine if the tub isn't too hot. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Nope. Take a shower or warm bath.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageAsbromle:
    I wouldn't...try a heating pad:

No, no heating pads either. Same reason FYI.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• no i wouldnt.. i was told warm bath and to lay on my side.. prop belly up with a pillow ..
  • I did a week after I found out I was pg with DS2, but I figured the collection of cells wasn't big enough to be effected yet. I wouldn't do it this far along.

Have you tried a maternity water aerobics class? I have been having babysitter scheduling issues so I haven't had a chance yet this pregnancy, but it really helped a lot during my first 2 pregnancies. They were offered as drop in classes through the hospital's therapy pool, but I would imagine most park and rec systems would offer them as well.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    Nope. Doctor told me hot tubs are a no go!
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    imagePrimRoseMama:
    imageAsbromle:

This shows you the difference in what different medical professionals will recommend. My doctor told me no hot tubs but said heating pads are okay for upper back and neck, but only for a short period of time. No heating pads anywhere near baby though.
  • imageSilv3rlining:
    imagePrimRoseMama:
    imageAsbromle:

My OB ok'd heating pads. Just not on my abdomen.

Right, that's what I mean. I wouldn't recommend on back or abdomen. You can use them anywhere else.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"