Breastfeeding
Options

Biting...help!!

LO is 10 months d and for the past 3 nights has been biting at the beginning or middle if our bedtime nursing session I work, so we nurse first thing, and before bed. Last night and again this morning it hurt me so bad that I just ended up giving her a bottle, and again tonight. Now I am just scared to nurse her! Any suggestions? I would hate to give up nursing to pump, because I know my supply will tank.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Biting...help!!

• Options
    when a bite happens, unlatch your baby, put her down, and walk away. just for a second, obviously, but it will help her get the point.
  • Options
    I know this seems mean but when she does it don't push her or jerk her away.  You need to smush her face into your boob so she'll release the nipple.  Then I tell her no biting and set her away from me and nursing is over for the moment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I posted basically this same thing over on the working moms board the other day. They had some great advice. Since posting I have talked to my pedi and she had some advice and insight on why he might be doing it. For one teething, I know he is getting his top teeth and that he chews the bottle while I am at work. Two our supplies are lower at night and my pedi said he could be getting frustrated that it is not coming out fast enough, after all he is having bottles most of the day, and given I pump most of the time each day my supply could be taking a hit (my pumping output has gone way down). Her recommendation was to either try and up my supply, she said this was the way to go if I wanted to nurse past a year, or supplement with pumped milk and/or formula. Additionally, when he bites take him off, sternly say no, and put him back on if he bites again take him off and stop the feed. If he has not had enough that day he needs a bottle at that point. At this age she said they need 16 to 24 ounces and not to give anything in regards to milk other than BM or formula. She said based on how long he feeds in the morning she bets he is getting 6 to 8 ounces and I know he gets ten while I am at work so he is hitting that minimum of 16 ounces. The past couple of nights after fighting with the biting I have been giving him 2 ounces and he does fine. I started taking mother?s milk plus and I am now pumping every two hours at work and drinking the tea. If my supply does not increase in the next week I am going to give up and just feed in the morning. I nursed my daughter for 18 months and I wanted to do the same for him but I am scared to nurse him always waiting for the bite and that is stressful in itself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    cltk12cltk12 member

imagenumberonemama:
    I know this seems mean but when she does it don't push her or jerk her away.  You need to smush her face into your boob so she'll release the nipple.  Then I tell her no biting and set her away from me and nursing is over for the moment.

This is what worked for us too.  We tried everything....stern no, setting baby down and walking away, but it didn't work.  I also had to start paying more attention to baby as I think he was biting because I wasn't focusing on him so I shut the tv off, put the iPhone/pad away, and focused on him for 2 days of nursing sessions.  After that, the biting stopped (he still occasionally will bite, but not all the time like he was when he first got teeth). If he bites, I gently push his face into my boob for him to release.  By paying attention to him, I realized that he would get bored or wanted my attention and that's why he bit.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the respones!  She woke this am at 4;30 (not out the ordinary), and was obviously hungry. I tried to nurse, and she actually pushed me away :( I ended up giving her a bottle and she drank 5oz of BM!  Sigh....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"