July 2013 Moms

Old wives tales and pregnancy advice

This lady I work with is dead serious about the advice she gives me. Recently she told me I should eat whatever I want during pregnancy, or the baby will be born with his tongue sticking out.

She also told me that she could hear her fetus cry while she was pregnant. Any good ones you've heard?

Re: Old wives tales and pregnancy advice

• Wow, nothing crazy like that! I did have a lady at work tell me not to lift anything heavier than 20 pounds or the baby's cord would get wrapped around her neck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i was told i should not bath because of bacteria my soak through to the baby so i should only shower.... oh and i should drink 8 glasses of water a day to keep the amnio fluid clean. lol
  • Loading the player...
  • I have heard the one about lifting and the cord. Not the one about broccoli and chocolate, it is bit presumptuous because what if you don't breast feed.

My Ex MIL would not let me visit a dying family member in the hospital because of some reason it affecting the baby. (if it was my family I might have thrown more of a fit but felt I should have been there for my EX) I thought this was very silly because I WORKED IN A HOSPITAL! She also wouldn't let me in her house because there was mouse and if it ran across my path my child would look like mouse. LOL

• She heard her fetus cry?? Wow...I would not have been able to keep a straight face on that one! That's awesome.
  • I've heard the one about not lifting your arms above your head, but only on here, not IRL.

The dumbest thing I've heard IRL: My uncle thought that 25lbs of weight gain would mean a 25lb baby.  The man has three children... how does he not know how this works??

• imagemaryannespier:
    imageAsbromle:
    She heard her fetus cry?? Wow...I would not have been able to keep a straight face on that one! That's awesome.

This sounds like the kind of gem my MIL would come up with.

She said that her doctors didnt believe it... But she swore her husband heard it. Aren't their lungs filled with fluid at this point? I think it's scientifically impossible to make a crying sound in there. I just laughed and nodded and then turned towards my computer and rolled my eyes into my skull. She also told me she had in n out, a sprite, and a milkshake on the way to her GD test and then failed it... so I'm pretty sure she doesn't have the most common sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"