February 2012 Moms

Signature vs. scribbles

When you sign something do you sign your name or is it a scribble?  I mean is it legible or something else?  My H is a scribbler and I have always signed my name with every letter until he made fun of me for that and said I wrote like a kid (I hate using cursive and only do it when signing something).  I've always written out my first name in cursive and then my last name I did like H does.  I have his last name.  

About a week ago he complained and said "why do you write your first name but scribble your last - like you are ashamed of it".  We've been married 7 years and he JUST now says something???

I never realized that is what he thought so I make a point now to write out my first and last names so it is legible but I think it's funny - he can scribble and I can't?  Weirdo!  Anyway, I was just curious how you and your SO sign stuff? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Signature vs. scribbles

• Hubs signs in cursive, but you can read it all. He also signs his entire name: First M. Last

I sign in cursive, and I think it's legible. Deifinitely not a scribble. I do just sign my first initial, then my full last name (and it's all connected). The only time I write out my first name (and middle initial) is if it's on an official document. On checks, I still use the "first initial, last name" thing.

Working at a bank has made me wish everyone would actually sign their name. Seriously, forgeries would be so much harder to do if half of the population didn't use a scribble for their names.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • My DH scribbles, too, but I write it all out. I like it being legible.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • H's is all connected.  When we signed docs to close on our house his scribble was so weird to them they thought he circled where he was supposed to sign.  Nope that's his siggy.  Weird.  
  • My first name is completely legible, my last name is kind of a scribble.  I have a "z" in my last name, and for the life of me, no matter how hard I try or how much I practice, I am physically unable to write a cursive z.  So I had to improvise.  DH made a comment about it a while ago, and then I pointed out that he does the same thing with his last name, and it's been his name for his whole life.  Smile

My signature of my maiden name was all in cursive and completely legible.

• I sign my name...the ex scribbled.  His scribble was so bad that I couldn't duplicate it in any way.  My exH signed and I could sign his perfectly.  I've always signed, in cursive.  I think the "it" thing to do for a while was to scribble because, for security purposes, it's a little harder to duplicate.  But who even "checks" signatures anymore?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagejmccall79:
    I sign my name...the ex scribbled.  His scribble was so bad that I couldn't duplicate it in any way.  My exH signed and I could sign his perfectly.  I've always signed, in cursive.  I think the "it" thing to do for a while was to scribble because, for security purposes, it's a little harder to duplicate.  But who even "checks" signatures anymore?

The bank does, that's who.

I compare signatures multiple times a week, since I'm a floater and I don't know most of these customers personally.

I've dealt with 6 cases of forged signatures in my career. 5 of them, the person whose signature was forged only did a scribble. Generally you could read the first letter of their first and last names, and the rest of each name was a squiggly line. Super freaking easy to duplicate. Those 5 customers very nearly had to take the loss, since the signatures were pretty much identical. Had they actually written out their signature (like the 6th person), with real letters, it would have been much easier to dispute.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • imageklutzygrl26:
    I have horrible handwriting andsign my name at least 100x per day, so its barely even a scribble

This made me laugh because MDs are notorious for their bad handwriting!!!  :)  My dad is a doctor and happens to have amazingly perfect handwriting, and when we traveled overseas one summer, he was stopped and questioned pretty heavily at customs because they didn't believe he was really a doctor given how nice his handwriting is!   

• imagelancyjo:

imagejmccall79:
    I sign my name...the ex scribbled.  His scribble was so bad that I couldn't duplicate it in any way.  My exH signed and I could sign his perfectly.  I've always signed, in cursive.  I think the "it" thing to do for a while was to scribble because, for security purposes, it's a little harder to duplicate.  But who even "checks" signatures anymore?

The bank does, that's who.

I compare signatures multiple times a week, since I'm a floater and I don't know most of these customers personally.

I've dealt with 6 cases of forged signatures in my career. 5 of them, the person whose signature was forged only did a scribble. Generally you could read the first letter of their first and last names, and the rest of each name was a squiggly line. Super freaking easy to duplicate. Those 5 customers very nearly had to take the loss, since the signatures were pretty much identical. Had they actually written out their signature (like the 6th person), with real letters, it would have been much easier to dispute.

This is exactly why I make my signature very clear and it's harder to forge.  When I was a kid my sister and I would be able to forge our dad's name on stuff because his was scribble but our mom's is so freaking neat it's impossible to forge.  DH scribbles and has had his info stole 3 times because everything is so easy to copy.  He complained the 2nd time because "he signed the back of his card".  I pointed out that he scribbled some markings on the back of the card so it was easy to copy. 

• I usually write my first initial and last name pretty legibly, but it's all connected.  I used to be a retail manager and we signed our names a million times a day so it was too much to write the whole thing.  On checks and other legal documents I write my first and last name pretty legibly, for credit cards, etc. it's just the initial and last name.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My first name is legible, but my last name is looks more like Lii. Occasionally I spell it out, like when I sign loan documents or stuff I notarize.
  • Scribble, and it's only my initials.

My Colton...Growing up so fast!

And Coralee, his baby sister...On the way!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I think a perfect signature would be easier to forge than a scribble...if the scribble looks somewhat like a sig.  I saw my ex sign something once and thought OMG what the heck is that.  I tried over and over and over to duplicate it...even put a piece of paper over it and tried to trace it.  I never could make it look the same.  But, I'm also not in the "business" of forging stuff so maybe it was a little more difficult for me.

• imagejmccall79:
    I think a perfect signature would be easier to forge than a scribble...if the scribble looks somewhat like a sig.  I saw my ex sign something once and thought OMG what the heck is that.  I tried over and over and over to duplicate it...even put a piece of paper over it and tried to trace it.  I never could make it look the same.  But, I'm also not in the "business" of forging stuff so maybe it was a little more difficult for me.

In banking, we're taught to look for irregularities in signatures. Usually, the people whose signatures look likes scribbles have less consistency than the ones with actual letters.

For example, if I'm looking at 10 documents with the same person's scribble signature on them, chances are 7 of them will be different enough that you could claim forgery. (especially when that person has signed them all at different times, in varying degrees of hurry)

People who actually write letters, however, have more points of consistency that I can compare. The swoop of a "w", or the tail of a "y", mix of cursive and printed letters... things like that are comparable, and it's hard to duplicate it well enough to fool someone. (unless you're a pro forger... but seriously, if you're a professional, you're not going to be forging anything that I'm seeing)

Don't get me wrong, nobody ever signs their name the exact same way twice. It's just, in my experience, easier to duplicate a scribble than a name that's actually spelled out.

ETA: I will concede that there are some signatures that are scribbled that would be hard to forge. Usually though, those signatures have more "character" to them than just the "initial and squiggle line" signatures. They might not be perfectly formed letters (mine isn't!), but they are at least an attempt to form letters. I hope that part of this makes sense. It's so hard to explain without being able to show you! Smile

212 Facebook Admin.
  • imagelancyjo:

In banking, we're taught to look for irregularities in signatures. Usually, the people whose signatures look likes scribbles have less consistency than the ones with actual letters.

For example, if I'm looking at 10 documents with the same person's scribble signature on them, chances are 7 of them will be different enough that you could claim forgery. (especially when that person has signed them all at different times, in varying degrees of hurry)

People who actually write letters, however, have more points of consistency that I can compare. The swoop of a "w", or the tail of a "y", mix of cursive and printed letters... things like that are comparable, and it's hard to duplicate it well enough to fool someone. (unless you're a pro forger... but seriously, if you're a professional, you're not going to be forging anything that I'm seeing)

Don't get me wrong, nobody ever signs their name the exact same way twice. It's just, in my experience, easier to duplicate a scribble than a name that's actually spelled out.

ETA: I will concede that there are some signatures that are scribbled that would be hard to forge. Usually though, those signatures have more "character" to them than just the "initial and squiggle line" signatures. They might not be perfectly formed letters (mine isn't!), but they are at least an attempt to form letters. I hope that part of this makes sense. It's so hard to explain without being able to show you! Smile

Lancy - I find this really interesting!  Thank you for sharing!  Who would have thunk it.   

• imageSept07b2b:
    imagelancyjo:

Lancy - I find this really interesting!  Thank you for sharing!  Who would have thunk it.   

You're welcome! Smile In my previous job I was a trainer, and old habits die hard!

212 Facebook Admin.
  • Mine has never been legible. I think it's just easier that way.

• DH is legible. I'm a scribbler, but its a distinctive scribble and you can tell the first letters. I used to write legibly before I was married. After changing my name I could never get the hang of writing my new last name in cursive so its a scribble. And I sign about 20 times a day and notarize stuff at work so I can't switch back to legible now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • coybigcoybig member
    I can read about 50% of the letters in my signature inside my class ring.  now however, it's a "B" then a line.  last name is a little better since there's two capital letters, but I once received something in the mail addressed to "B Metz" because my signature looks pretty close to that.
    there are two motivations in sports, which is yours?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"