3rd Trimester

just found out i have low iron

Saw my midwife yesterday and mentioned that I have been chewing ice uncontrollably. She said she would have blood work done to test my iron and she just called me back and said in deed it is low and i'll need to start an iron supplement and vitamin c supplement. anyone else deal with this?  she said is most likely what is causing me to be so incredibly tired and a little "lightheaded."
Married my BEST FRIEND on December 1, 2007. Started TTC in March 2008. Found out we were expecting our first child in October 2008 - but had a m/c in December 2008 - resulting in a d&e. Met with a RE in May 2009 and set a plan - but conceived unexpectedly on our own! Our precious little Sophia was born on February 9, 2010! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: just found out i have low iron

• I'm anemic and was that way throughout my three previous pregnancies. With my oldest, it was really bad with her to the point where they almost gave me a transfusion. They gave me iron supplements but they tasted gross and I usually threw the up-until the dr told me to take with orange juice because it helps absorb them better.

Anytime you find yourself craving ice, dirt, clay, soap, etc it means your iron is low, Stay away from Ibuprofen because its a blood thinner and when your iron is low, your blood is already thin. Eat things high in iron like spinach (not cooked) almon, beans, eggs, chicken, liver, etc. If you don't like the iron tablets take Flintstone vitamins with iron-I take those because they don't taste gross lol and I can digest them well. Low iron does make you tired and lightheaded. Remember to eat will, take your supplements, and rest when you need to!! And stop chomping on all that ice!!!! <3

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, a supplement should help. I don't eat red meat (the leading source of iron) and mine tested just fine!
  • Loading the player...
  • I hadn't eaten red meat since I was about 9, but I started eating it again (just ground beef) when I was told I was border line anemic.  I was retested a couple of weeks ago and forgot to ask about the results, but I'm sure if there had been an issue the MW would have said something. 

Also, you might need to start taking colace and/or fiber supplements with the iron supplement (talk to your OB/MW) because iron capsules can constipate.  That's part of the reason my MW didn't want me taking them--I've had trouble with that since 17 or 18 weeks.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • skioskio member
    Yeah, it's called anemia and it's common during pregnancy. I've had it with both mine.

I started taking SlowFe; it's supposed to be easier on the tummy. Be prepared to have to take a stool softener, too.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • My iron stores are super low 6? They are talking about giving me a shot. I went to a naturopath who gave me some iron that doesn't bug my tummy. Much easier to ingest...
  • imageskio:
    Yeah, it's called anemia and it's common during pregnancy. I've had it with both mine. I started taking SlowFe; it's supposed to be easier on the tummy. Be prepared to have to take a stool softener, too.

This, and make sure to take it on a full stomach. Iron supplements can be hard on your stomach. I've been taking a supplement for over a month and I feel much better. Actually, I have more energy than 2nd Tri. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Iron supplements can make you very constipated just FYI. Start taking fibre too!
  • Thanks for the tips girls! I will definitely up the fiber. I'm hoping it helps with energy and the slight lightheadedness. 
    Married my BEST FRIEND on December 1, 2007. Started TTC in March 2008. Found out we were expecting our first child in October 2008 - but had a m/c in December 2008 - resulting in a d&e. Met with a RE in May 2009 and set a plan - but conceived unexpectedly on our own! Our precious little Sophia was born on February 9, 2010! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I just learned the same thing today at my apt. My dr recommended the SlowFe too.  He did not mention the stool softeners, good to know I need to stock up on them for more than just recovery. :)
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I have low iron too. They just put me on a supplement. No biggie.
  • I'm also anemic. Have been since I was 17 yrs old. Dr had me take double iron supplements my whole pregnancy
  • My doctor told me I was anemic and I noticed a huge difference in how I felt after starting to take iron supplements!! Before I was exhausted, short of breath, and yawning all the time. Now I actually have a little bit of energy and way less yawning! We are lucky our doctors caught it for us and the babies
  • My midwife told me a few weeks ago that I was borderline anemic and recommended upping my iron intake and taking citrus along with the iron to help absorption (fyi, dairy can hinder absorption).

My diet was already pretty good, so tweaking it a tad didn't help. When I went back to my next appt., she put me on a supplement and that's what helped. I feel *so* much better. I had been yawning uncontrollably, I felt weak and exhausted, and my DH said that I was abnormally tired, even compared to this point during the third tri of my first pregnancy. As soon as I started the supplements, I got my energy and strength back. Fortunately, I haven't had any constipation problems.

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagevirginiagirl11:

My midwife told me a few weeks ago that I was borderline anemic and recommended upping my iron intake and taking citrus along with the iron to help absorption (fyi, dairy can hinder absorption).

My diet was already pretty good, so tweaking it a tad didn't help. When I went back to my next appt., she put me on a supplement and that's what helped. I feel *so* much better. I had been yawning uncontrollably, I felt weak and exhausted, and my DH said that I was abnormally tired, even compared to this point during the third tri of my first pregnancy. As soon as I started the supplements, I got my energy and strength back. Fortunately, I haven't had any constipation problems.

I'm glad starting the supplements helped you! I hope they help me too. Started today. I  am hoping I don't have any constipation problems...so we shall see. 

• I'm pretty sure one of the PP's meant aspirin and not ibuprofen. I could be wrong but I think we are supposed to steer very clear of ibuprofen during pregnancy and aspirin is what is prescribed as a blood thinner.

bfp #1 10/15/2009 m/c 11/4/09 10 weeks Lily you are not forgotten
    bfp #2 4/5/2010 CP, m/c 4/12/10 5 weeks Baby Lo
    Diagnosed PCOS 10/10 RX 1500 mg Metformin/day
    bfp#3 4/5/2011 Missed m/c discovered 5/24/2011 (10w 5d) baby Asher stopped growing at 6 weeks
    I know he is playing with his siblings in heaven right now...

rx'd factor II gene mutation 7/11 prescribed 5000 units Heparin daily
    rx'd Sjogren's Disease 8/11

bfp #4 9-6-2012 RAINBOW Baby Ky born 5-9-13
    bfp #5 8-26-14  RAINBOW #2 Due 5-8-2015

baby development
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"