September 2013 Moms

Gaining too much weight, help!

I just came from my 20w appt and my OB said I need to watch my weight. I'm just over 19 weeks and have already gained 17 lbs. Yikes! She warned about the dangers of gaining too much weight and that could mean the baby gains more weight which means squeezing out a huge baby. I'm trying for a VBAC and I don't want to squeeze out a huge baby! I swear I eat healthy a lot of the time but sometimes I just crave high carb foods. How do you ladies fight your cravings? I also walk for 30 minutes every day on my lunch break. I thought I was doing ok but I need to get this weight gain under control. Sad
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Gaining too much weight, help!

• I have 21 weeks and have gained about 20 lbs!  I feel like I am gaining way to much but my Dr. hasn't said anything to me.  He said that between 35-40 lbs is about normal.  Which I guess will be normal if I can keep up a pound a week.  Which according to the chart you are only supposed to gain 1/2 a week.  Who knows.  I think you gain what you body needs to support the baby.  I also walk during lunch, about 2 miles a day.  And then work out at home.  Hoping with summer almost here I can do a little bit more walking and excercising.  If I gain more, I guess I will just have to work harder after the little one is here. I am not much help but want you to know that you aren't the only one out there going through it!! 
  • I suck at fighting cravings...only way I can do it is not have it in the house.  I try to meal plan somewhat so I'm not staring into the fridge and choosing by momentary appeal.   I need to up my protein intake too.

Also, your weight gain does not equate to baby's weight unless you end up with GD.  I gained 20lbs with DS and he arrived at 6.7lbs just shy of 35 weeks (so likely 9-10lbs full term). 

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Loading the player...
  • I can't say my cravings have been all that bad, thankfully, so I may be out of line offering any kind of advice. But if I crave something sugary I try to eat some fruit - bananas usually do it but strawberries are also high on the list. I went from first trimester only being able to eat carbs to second trimester being more able to eat fruits and veggies. Maybe snack more often on healthier things like fruits and veggies and you won't be as hungry or craving so much? Also, 17lbs at 19 weeks isn't absolutely terrible. I was told gaining anywhere from 15-30lbs is usually the 'recommended norm' depending on where you started but I have lots of friends who started off pretty small and gained almost double that, ending up with average sized children. I know she's trying to keep your health in check for you and the kiddo but don't panic. Just try to eat smart when you can, treat yourself occassionally.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Were you overweight when you got pregnant?  17 pounds doesn't seem like THAT much to have gained by halfway unless maybe you gained a lot since your last appointment?  I am headed in this afternoon for my 19w check-up and am worried they will tell me I'm getting too big.  The only thing I have going for me is the 9 pounds I lost from morning sickness at the beginning.

If you are eating healthy, balanced meals and getting exercise every day--I think you're doing just fine :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am in your shoes as well. I went and saw a dietician because I was so confused about if I should count calories or avoid foods. After she studied my food diary she told me that I need to count carbs, not calories. She gave me a good portion of my carbs in the morning so I eat a small bowl of cereal and a piece of toast. I don't worry about calories, and if I'm hungry I eat and my weight gain has slowed down in the past month and my OB was very happy at my last appointment. 
    Dailey 10/29/2009 BFP! 7/12/2010 Welcomed our beautiful baby boy TTC#2 Since 10/2011 5/21/2012 BFP! 6/30/2012 Missed Miscarriage 1/4/2012 BFP!! Stick, baby, stick! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am 21 weeks. I have gained 20 pounds so far. Before getting pregnant I weighed 120 pounds. I'm pretty sure I just needed the weight. I was really skinny. So maybe if you were already skinny your body just needed it. Even if you weren't skinny pregnancy makes your body store fat for you an your baby. So gaining weight happens quickly.

I am trying really hard not to eat out now. But I have been pretty lazy most of my pregnancy. Eating fast food has def not helped me keep off weight. If you want to slow how much you are gaining I would say cut out fast foods. I dont know if you eat out a lot, but maybe try cooking at home.

Also, even though I have gained 20 pounds my baby is actually below normal on growth. My OB thinks the baby just has my skinny build, and so it is nothing to worry about. So just because you are gaining a lot doesn't mean your LO will.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    fittest mom photo FITTEST-MOM_zps2351b4e2.gif
  • imageMrsMitty08:
    Were you overweight when you got pregnant?  17 pounds doesn't seem like THAT much to have gained by halfway unless maybe you gained a lot since your last appointment?  I am headed in this afternoon for my 19w check-up and am worried they will tell me I'm getting too big.  The only thing I have going for me is the 9 pounds I lost from morning sickness at the beginning.

If you are eating healthy, balanced meals and getting exercise every day--I think you're doing just fine :)

Well I was considered to be in the normal weight range when I got pregnant. My OB said I should gain between 25-35 pounds total...but if I keep up with the weight gain I'll probably be closer to 40-45 in the end. I've gained 4 pounds since my last appointment so I'm already averaging close to a pound/week. I think I should start counting carbs like another poster suggested. My meals are pretty balanced...it's just those dang carbs! Pasta and breads are the worst.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm worried about this too. I go for my checkup this Thursday. I cried about my weight Monday morning before, during, and after my shower. I'm a little over 22 weeks and I'm up about 24 lbs right now. I was already almost 15 lbs overweight to start with. Eating out all last week did not help. I usually take my lunch to work but didn't last week. I'm back to taking it this week. I also walk on my two 15 min breaks for a total of 2 miles... 1 mile each break. I was doing mostly ok until last week.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageLR70707:
    I suck at fighting cravings...only way I can do it is not have it in the house.nbsp; I try to meal plan somewhat so I'm not staring into the fridge and choosing by momentary appeal.nbsp;nbsp; I need to up my protein intake too.
    Also, your weight gain does not equate to baby's weight unless you end up with GD.nbsp; I gained 20lbs with DS and he arrived at 6.7lbs just shy of 35 weeks so likely 910lbs full term.nbsp;

Agree. I gained 25 with dd1, and she was 9lb9oz. I gained one lb with dd2, and if she'd gone to 41 weeks like dd1, she would have been right at 9 lbs.
    January 2009: Goodbye TR (13 weeks) February 2010: Welcome DD1! March 2011: Welcome DD2! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I started out gaining really fast as all I wanted was carbs (after years of being low carb), then my appetite slowed down a bit so the weight gain slowed.  But then I felt it going up again plus I got really bad indigestion, so I switched to 6ish small meals per day.  I have cereal and maybe a banana first thing in the morning, yogurt and a graham cracker about 2 hours later.  2 hours after that I usually have some cottage cheese and a half a sandwich.  Another 2-3 hours, I may eat another half sandwich or maybe more yogurt, or a salad (or if I'm not being good I'll eat a treat like 1/3 of a piece of chocolate cake)... then dinner, honestly is maybe a little more normal sized.  Then my new treat is throwing a frozen banana with a little milk in my bullet blender and making a soft ice cream like treat.  I'm going to try other fruits and stuff with the banana to mix it up but it's a pretty healthy treat and I love banana flavored anything.

For some reason I am LOVING cottage cheese these days and it is really filling for me.  After gaining 12-14 pounds in first tri alone, basically in the last 10 weeks, I've only gained about 2 pounds, so 15-16 pounds total.

Me: 43 DH: 39 - AMA, DOR
    Mommy to Sami (IVF), Born 8.30.13
    Surprise non-assisted BFP - 12.29.2014, Beta 1 = 322, Beta 2 = 760
    EDD 9.7.2015

BabyFruit Ticker 

• I've been craving carbs too, and try to make a point of making sure that I also have protein and veggies with each meal, and try to make the carb serving smaller.

If it's any consolation, I gained almost all my weight with DS by about 25ish weeks, it slowed through 35, and nothing at the end.  My total weight gain was between 25 and 30 with him, but I had put on almost 20 by 25 weeks last time. 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was a little panicked when I got on the scale today too. I've gained about 8 pounds in 6 weeks. Grrr. The best advice for eating right is to not buy food you know you'll eat too much of. I don't keep cookies in the house. I'm going to limit myself to 2 sweets a week and see if that helps.
  • I've been careful with wheat (not other carbs, though; if i crave something starchy i do a bowl of steel cut oats w/nuts and a little syrup) and sugar (really, a little bit of syrup goes a long way!), and i try for most snacks to be fruit, veggies or unsweetened yogurt that i add fruit (and sometimes honey; still a lot less sugar than pre-sweetened) to myself.  I also walk daily (often a few shorter walks) and exercise when i can (it's been tough w/my thesis defense coming up) and that has been enough for me (i started out overweight and have been gaining on track). 

Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • I think in this arena, you are just lucky or you aren't.  I haven't been craving sweets or treats, mostly fruits/veggies and I find that due to the stomach stretching sensation I feel full even before eating a complete meal.  If I'm not careful I end up skipping meals.  I'm up about 9 pounds in 20 weeks, currently on the 0.5-1 lb a week gain that is recommended starting in 2nd tri.  I think I'm on track to gain 20 total like my midwife wants.  I know I should be walking for exercise 2-3 days a week but that just doesn't happen.  If you are craving treats, can you let yourself have the treat, but severly cut the portion size?  Like if you want french fries, make sure you are eating only 4 or 5 fries total?  If you want ice cream limit it to 1 scoop of non-fat frozen yogurt?  Also, I find myself feeling much more full after forcing myself to down 12-16 oz of water several times a day.  I just don't have room for much else after that!

ETA: I also am big on eating several small meals throughout the day so I rarely let myself get super hungry, preventing me from over-eating due to being ravenous.  Plus I want my body to know there is plenty of food available to me and no need to break down my own fat, muscles, bone for nutrients for the baby so I avoid letting myself get hungry other than first thing in the morning that I can't do anything about anyway.  Typical day means breakfast of healthy cereal like Kashi with some fruit on it, mid-morning snack of cottage cheese or string cheese, convenient tv dinner like lean cuisine for lunch or a salad or small sandwich from WaWa, mid-afternoon snack of 5-6 blackberries or strawberries, or a plum, small dinner, and maybe an evening snack of an apple with peanut butter.  

??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
  • imageVkeo79:

imageMrsMitty08:
    Were you overweight when you got pregnant?  17 pounds doesn't seem like THAT much to have gained by halfway unless maybe you gained a lot since your last appointment?  I am headed in this afternoon for my 19w check-up and am worried they will tell me I'm getting too big.  The only thing I have going for me is the 9 pounds I lost from morning sickness at the beginning.

Well I was considered to be in the normal weight range when I got pregnant. My OB said I should gain between 25-35 pounds total...but if I keep up with the weight gain I'll probably be closer to 40-45 in the end. I've gained 4 pounds since my last appointment so I'm already averaging close to a pound/week. I think I should start counting carbs like another poster suggested. My meals are pretty balanced...it's just those dang carbs! Pasta and breads are the worst.

My sister has gained 50 lbs with all three of her children and started at a normal weight. Her first two were just over 7 lbs and her third almost nine. Yes, health risks are higher with rapid weight gain, but people gain 50 lbs all the time. For some people losing it post baby is really easy too! With DD I gained 39 lbs and lost all of it but 7lbs just in giving birth! Food for thought!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"